How much storage do you have in your UnRaid build?

jrd680

Storage Survey  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I currently 56TB and a 56TB identical backup so 112TB total.

I have just started downloading literally a week ago and will only download if it's the untouched Blu Ray ISO. Everything else I have is DVD/Blu Ray rips which I then convert to MKV.

This was spread across 4 unRAID Pro servers but I am currently in the process of changing over to 8TB Red's so I will most likely be replacing my 60 bay HGST chassis with a couple of Fractal Define S towers. With drives as large as they are today, 12TB out and 14/16TB coming this year, it makes these big rack chassis no longer necessary for me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 13/03/2017 at 3:51 PM, jrd680 said:

@S80_UK Smart to have a backup server. Do you buy 2 drives at a time and have nearly identical systems? 

Not really identical.  They have grown rather "organically", the backup server using more and smaller drives.  Some details are in my sig, but I have repeated them here since I assume you aren't displaying them...

Main server (20TB) - unRAID Server 6.3.2 | Xeon E3-1245 | Asrock H77M-ITX | 16GB DDR3 | 1 x AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 ~

Sharkoon T9 case | 3 x CoolerMaster 4 in 3 cages | Seasonic G-450 PSU | APC Back-UPS BR 800 (master) | Twonky Media server 8.3 | mini-DLNA (Docker)

Backup server (20TB) - unRAID Server 6.3.2 | i3-3225 | Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P | 8GB DDR3 | 2 x AOC-SASLP-MV8 ~

Sharkoon T9 case | 3 x CoolerMaster 4 in 3 cages | Corsair CX430 PSU | APC Back-UPS BR 800 (slave)

Edited by S80_UK
7 hours ago, jrd680 said:

Fantastic! Not my cup of tea though it seems awesome. How do you name tv shows and movies?

The software I use (SageTV) does that from the EPG (Electronic Program Guide) for each show.  Each day the EPG gets downloaded with new airings and corrections to existing airing in its database.  It then builds the file names from that data and uses the same data to display the name in the playback screens along with detailed information about the show.  Basically it displays the same information as a Cable/Sat STB/DVR.

I currently 56TB and a 56TB identical backup so 112TB total.

I have just started downloading literally a week ago and will only download if it's the untouched Blu Ray ISO. Everything else I have is DVD/Blu Ray rips which I then convert to MKV.

This was spread across 4 unRAID Pro servers but I am currently in the process of changing over to 8TB Red's so I will most likely be replacing my 60 bay HGST chassis with a couple of Fractal Define S towers. With drives as large as they are today, 12TB out and 14/16TB coming this year, it makes these big rack chassis no longer necessary for me personally.

As much as I'd like to buy small drives because of the price per TB, the bigger drives are changing the game. Can't wait till 8tb and 10tb drop in pricing. Even splurging for a 14 or 16tb drive for a parity drive is worth it in the long run. Can't imagine willing 60 drive bays as that's a lot to manage. Those Fractal Define S towers will be far easier space wise to manage.

As for downloading, I take it you download BR isos for the higher quality? That's why I'm excited for the increases in storage, it being more feasible to download at the highest quality.

Not really identical.  They have grown rather "organically", the backup server using more and smaller drives.  Some details are in my sig, but I have repeated them here since I assume you aren't displaying them...

Main server (20TB) - unRAID Server 6.3.2 | Xeon E3-1245 | Asrock H77M-ITX | 16GB DDR3 | 1 x AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 ~

Sharkoon T9 case | 3 x CoolerMaster 4 in 3 cages | Seasonic G-450 PSU | APC Back-UPS BR 800 (master) | Twonky Media server 8.3 | mini-DLNA (Docker)

Backup server (20TB) - unRAID Server 6.3.2 | i3-3225 | Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P | 8GB DDR3 | 2 x AOC-SASLP-MV8 ~

Sharkoon T9 case | 3 x CoolerMaster 4 in 3 cages | Corsair CX430 PSU | APC Back-UPS BR 800 (slave)

Ah my bad, yeah I'm on mobile. Slick systems! I'll definitely get to building two for one to backup the other one.
The software I use (SageTV) does that from the EPG (Electronic Program Guide) for each show.  Each day the EPG gets downloaded with new airings and corrections to existing airing in its database.  It then builds the file names from that data and uses the same data to display the name in the playback screens along with detailed information about the show.  Basically it displays the same information as a Cable/Sat STB/DVR.

Oh cool! That's awesome!
1 minute ago, jrd680 said:

Can't imagine willing 60 drive bays as that's a lot to manage

They aren't bad at all. I had the big chassis because the capacity I showed of 112TB is what is currently full, not my raw capacity and doesn't include parity or cache. Unfortunately I only had them half full as I was hitting the 28 array drive limit and didn't want cache only shares or a crap ton of unassigned devices. I kept everything spun down when not in use so the power difference between more smaller or fewer larger drives was negligible. And with chassis this big, I wasn't running out of drive bays anytime soon!

I looked many times at switching to larger capacity drives as everyone gave me a hard time about it due to my spindle count :) But with that being said, by going to 8TB drives from 2TB drives I'm only reducing my platter/head count by 12.5%. My 2TB Reds have 2 platters and 4 heads. The 8TB Red's have 7 platters and 14 heads. I'm reducing my physical spindle count by 75% but I personally haven't ever had a drive fail from a bad spindle. It's always been from platter/head issues aka sector problems. So although I'm reducing physical spindle count, I'm putting 4 times the eggs in one basket and when I have a sector issue, and we all will, I'll have 7 platter and 14 heads die at once vs 2 platters and 4 heads. So it's a personal preference thing, one way isn't any better or safer than the other. I just want to get rid of my big chassis and my entire server rack, get down to a couple of tiny tower chassis and call it a day.

10 minutes ago, jrd680 said:

I take it you download BR isos for the higher quality?

That's exactly right. I'm still in the process of converting a lot of my DVD copies over to Blu Ray that were not available at the time of ripping. So that in itself will add probably another 10TB of data to my hoard.

That's exactly right. I'm still in the process of converting a lot of my DVD copies over to Blu Ray that were not available at the time of ripping. So that in itself will add probably another 10TB of data to my hoard.

Interesting your thought process about platters, something I tend to not think about.

Yeah right now I have 3800 movies in my IMDb watchlist and 900 or so TV shows. That'll keep me plenty busy when I'm ready to download them once I build my server.

Interesting your thought process about platters, something I tend to not think about.

Yeah right now I have 3800 movies in my IMDb watchlist and 900 or so TV shows. That'll keep me plenty busy when I'm ready to download them once I build my server.

Most people don't ever think about the larger the drive the more platters n heads you have. They think it's some type of black magic that gives them more magical storage in the same physical space :)

And that's a lot of future downloading you have to do! I held out from downloading as long as I could and continued ripping from the physical disk which I will continue to do to get older content.

• 2 weeks later...

4x 3TB WD Red drives, one for parity, room for two more drives

2x 250GB Samsung SSDs for cache pool

Little less than half of the available space is in use.

Backed up my own DVDs, use Plex Docker to stream to my XBox/TV. Don't download media unless purchased. Trying out some Docker'd applications for utilities, backups etc. Already using a backup share to backup my main PC.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4x 3TB WD Red drives, one for parity, room for two more drives
2x 250GB Samsung SSDs for cache pool

Little less than half of the available space is in use.

Backed up my own DVDs, use Plex Docker to stream to my XBox/TV. Don't download media unless purchased. Trying out some Docker'd applications for utilities, backups etc. Already using a backup share to backup my main PC.

Can you elaborate on your back up share of your PC?

1X3TB Seagate for parity ( fast spinner that outperforms the WD Red's I use for data) 

4x3TB WD Red drives for storage

2X1TB WD greens.  These where the ones i started with, who'm i replace with WD reds 3TB every time i need more space ( and get payed on the job to buy ;) )

1 X Samsung 250 GB SDD for appdata and a fast share ( cache only, downloads 'live" there before they get picked up before moved to the array.

All for Sonarr, couchpotato, Plex front to backend.  

Funny thing is I had an extensive DVD collection both on DVD media (disks as on ISO ) Once I got familiar with Unraid I donated the DVD's to my brother, deleted the ISO's and got my some fresh 1080 versions instead.  I dont even have a DVD player device in the house.

• 4 weeks later...
1X3TB Seagate for parity ( fast spinner that outperforms the WD Red's I use for data) 

4x3TB WD Red drives for storage

2X1TB WD greens.  These where the ones i started with, who'm i replace with WD reds 3TB every time i need more space ( and get payed on the job to buy  )

1 X Samsung 250 GB SDD for appdata and a fast share ( cache only, downloads 'live" there before they get picked up before moved to the array.

All for Sonarr, couchpotato, Plex front to backend.  
Funny thing is I had an extensive DVD collection both on DVD media (disks as on ISO ) Once I got familiar with Unraid I donated the DVD's to my brother, deleted the ISO's and got my some fresh 1080 versions instead.  I dont even have a DVD player device in the house.

If you haven't already think about switching to Radarr.
13.5 Tb currently and looking to add a 6 Tb in a few weeks, retiring the LAST 1.5 Tb.  FINALLY. Should end up with 18 tb with Single parity...I'll be good for a bit!

That's fantastic! That's my struggle, figuring out how much initial storage I need.
21 hours ago, jrd680 said:

If you haven't already think about switching to Radarr.

Thought of it already.  I only learned of the existing of this Docker only yesterday.  So far CP does what i expect of it so ... yeah ... any particular motivation to make the switch?

I'm a big fan of Sonarr so i guess I will like Radarr as well I guess

Thought of it already.  I only learned of the existing of this Docker only yesterday.  So far CP does what i expect of it so ... yeah ... any particular motivation to make the switch?
I'm a big fan of Sonarr so i guess I will like Radarr as well I guess

It's handling of files is very much like Sonarr. It's development is constant too. Definitely something to try, I think you'll come to like it and shift away from CP.
7 hours ago, jrd680 said:

It's handling of files is very much like Sonarr. It's development is constant too. Definitely something to try, I think you'll come to like it and shift away from CP.

Hi, i just came online again to say thanks.  I configured Radarr, This is sooooo much better then CP.  

Again, thx for the advice and have a good weekend! :)

On 2017-05-04 at 0:26 PM, jrd680 said:

That's fantastic! That's my struggle, figuring out how much initial storage I need.

The only struggle is large parity drive size increases, like my first jump from 3TB parity to 8TB parity which hurt mentally because I didn't have the extra 5TB of data storage for a couple months.

Depends exactly how you're going to use your server, but for me I work with a lot of video files, so I know I'll always be increasing in storage. Any new build now starts with two or three 8TB drives, then I'll drop some good smaller drives in for the extra space if I have them lying around. If not, new 8's it is!  I buy enterprise drives with 5 year warranties in hopes I'll get at least 6 years from each of them, and a lot of storage happens in 6 years, I have learned.