jang430

Is this a good system for Unraid? Just pop-in HDDs?

8 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3U-Supermicro-16-Bay-SAS2-Server-X9DR3-LN4F-2xXeon-E5-2660-8-Core-96GB-Rail-2PS-/152467355219?hash=item237fc33653

I'm curious, why do these sellers sometimes provide RAID controller such as Adaptec?  Isn't it the backplane already has SCU, and the motherboards, already has SCU onboard as well?

Rather than getting hot swap 3.5 drive bays, these are way cheaper.  

Please give pros and cons using this system, apart from the processor not Xeon E5-2670, and possibly, fan being noisy.

It will likely very noisy.  May or may not be a consideration.

I heard the noise can be addressed by changing the fans, also, can be connected directly to motherboard instead

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I paid less then that for my 36 bay Supermicro chassis and it also came with a motherboard, dual Xeon CPU's, 52GB of ECC RAM, dual power supplies, so better deals can be found, you just have to be patient.

One thing I would ask about that system is if the backplane can handle drives larger than 2TB, usually Mr. Rackables states that in their sales, in this one they don't mention it so I would want to be sure. They are noisy for sure, not sure about changing the fans, it would be too much work on my system and there are 9 of them in my system that are hot swappable.

Hi ashman70, when you say dual Xeon, can you share what model of Xeons are they?  E5?  

Furthermore, regarding backplane, once it can go pass 2TB, there isn't any more limit on 4 GB, 5 GB...?

Thanks

6 hours ago, jang430 said:

Furthermore, regarding backplane, once it can go pass 2TB, there isn't any more limit on 4 GB, 5 GB...?

Correct, if it supports 3TB drives, then it will support 12TB drives and beyond.