Compiling a module for PCIE SSD Support

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone won't mind taking a few minutes to take a look at my particular situation. I inherited a nice Micron P420m PCIe SSD (It's seen as: 1a:00.0 Mass storage controller: Micron Technology Inc RealSSD P420m (rev 03)), but the support for it isn't built into the kernel by default. The goal would be use it as the cache drive, I hope. Micron does have modules that are pre-compiled for Ubuntu, RedHat, vmware, Xen, etc, but not for Slackware. I tried to insmod some of those but they are not in the right format it seems. They do also have the source that I can grab out of an rpm, which I did on one of my other Linux boxes.

I looked around and found a thread that helped install the tools to build the module with

but it immediately errors out (even after make clean).

make -C /lib/modules/4.9.10-unRAID/build M=/root/mtip32xx-3.8.1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.9.10-unRAID'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'modules'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.9.10-unRAID'
make: *** [Makefile:18: modules] Error 2

Now I'm starting to get out of my knowledge with Linux and compiling things, and I have very little experience with Slackware at all. I did some searching around the forums and couldn't find anything else related. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to go from here?

Gosh, I think I put this in the wrong forum, can someone move it for me?

Edited by mikerm
  • 6 years later...