Can you go from a JBOD to Parity-Protected Array

I'd like to change my box from a Windows/Stablebit Drivepool to UnRAID. Right now my server is a 500gb SSD, 2x 2TB, 3x 3TB, 1x 5TB, 1x6TB.

Is it possible to configure UnRAID as a JBOD (with no parity) for now, and then in the future swap a 2TB for a 6TB and make the new drive a parity drive down the line without having to rebuild the entire array? All of my important data has offline backups so I'm not worried if a drive fails anyways.

Yes, this is possible.

Unraid, since it is not a conventional raid, has no inter-dependency between drives for the data so one drive failing/being upgraded/added does not affect the other data drives.

However, keep in mind that unraid does not recognize NTFS formatted disks, so you will need at least one empty drive to format into one of the 3 formats unraid uses (RFS, XFS, BTRFS) to copy at least one drive's worth of data to, then format the empty NTFS disk and copy the next one, etc.

Once all the drives have been added to the array in an unraid-readable format, you're pretty much set after that.

Edited by SnickySnacks