-=SOLVED=- Need tips for transferring data to clean array

Hey guys,

So far the process is taking about 4 hours for 14GB, there has to be a faster way to do the initial loading. I've since removed parity, installed the Unassigned devices plugin, added the source drive to tower and shared it. I still can't figure out how to move the data quickly, it's actually slower (significantly). I see in wiki "midnight commander" but have no idea how to use it, is there not an easy way to open the drives from the gui and copy/paste as I would in windows? Thanks!

Edited by Dissones4U
SOLVED

Something isn't right.  You should post your diagnostics while the transfer is in progress.

As far as a GUI that would operate locally, barring midnight commander (quick googling would tell you how to use it), you could install the Dolphin docker application which would still do the transfers locally, but give you a nice GUI that you're familiar with.

Thank you Squid, Dolphin seems like a good option so far :D

1 hour ago, Squid said:

(quick googling would tell you how to use it)

LOL, this is hilarious...The first thing I did after reading about mc on the forum was Google it and found next to nothing on their website as far as install instructions, after you posted I changed my search to include "how to install" and got this (below) which may have been of use if I were able read Greek O.o...  

"Getting started:

Midnight Commander might already be installed on your distribution, but if it is not you can install it using your distribution’s package manager. For Fedora and CentOS, my distros of choice, I use YUM. This command installs Midnight Commander:

yum -y install mc

You can start Midnight Commander from the CLI with the mc command. The figure below shows Midnight Commander when run as root in a terminal emulator session."

Needless to say I have zero experience with Linux and was therefore uncertain of how to proceed with the mc install, I thought that I'd read it could be run from windows but didn't see that on their main page. Anyway due to your recommendation it seemed that Dolphin was my next best option. I have to say, even that took me a while to install, (no experience with dockers, vm's and the like) there was no reference to the proper port and I suspect that the app path doesn't point to my cache as it should (I'll deal with that later I guess). I saw in the Dolphin setup page that they used 8080 as an example port but I thought I couldn't use that due to admin conflicts or something. Ultimately I did use 8080 and crossed my fingers, all seems well and speeds are as expected and certainly better than even USB 2.0 which is what I was hoping for.

4 minutes ago, Dissones4U said:

Thank you Squid, Dolphin seems like a good option so far :D

LOL, this is hilarious...The first thing I did after reading about mc on the forum was Google it and found next to nothing on their website as far as install instructions, after you posted I changed my search to include "how to install" and got this (below) which may have been of use if I were able read Greek O.o...  

"Getting started:

Midnight Commander might already be installed on your distribution, but if it is not you can install it using your distribution’s package manager. For Fedora and CentOS, my distros of choice, I use YUM. This command installs Midnight Commander:

yum -y install mc

You can start Midnight Commander from the CLI with the mc command. The figure below shows Midnight Commander when run as root in a terminal emulator session."

Needless to say I have zero experience with Linux and was therefore uncertain of how to proceed with the mc install, I thought that I'd read it could be run from windows but didn't see that on their main page. Anyway due to your recommendation it seemed that Dolphin was my next best option. I have to say, even that took me a while to install, (no experience with dockers, vm's and the like) there was no reference to the proper port and I suspect that the app path doesn't point to my cache as it should (I'll deal with that later I guess). I saw in the Dolphin setup page that they used 8080 as an example port but I thought I couldn't use that due to admin conflicts or something. Ultimately I did use 8080 and crossed my fingers, all seems well and speeds are as expected and certainly better than even USB 2.0 which is what I was hoping for.

midnight commander is already installed on unRaid.  Just type

mc

at a command prompt to run.  Personally, I also prefer Dolphin -> the template is good to go as is, (but you may need to change the port if need be) and you also don't need to mess around with "screen" which is pretty much a necessity when using mc and large transfers

Just one thing about Dolphin.  Don't close the pop up window with the copy status.  The copies will still proceed if you do, but there is no way to get the window back up.

36 minutes ago, Squid said:

midnight commander is already installed on unRaid.  Just type

mc

at a command prompt to run.

D'oh! Good to know...

Dolphin seems to be working very well for me and I need to understand dockers anyway so this was a good first try. This method of loading a clean array is the best I've found so far. I guess some might gripe about the lack of parity but the speed increase is definitely worth it for me, otherwise I would have been hundreds of hours doing the initial load. Anyway thanks again!

Edited by Dissones4U
typo