segfault

Does anyone have any idea what this means, what I should do and do I need to worry?

Mar 9 06:09:48 Tower kernel: php[25428]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000005f42ad sp 00007ffeb4615e90 error 4 in php[400000+724000]

I've ran memtest and check disk on the USB as suggested in other forum posts I've read. No faults detected.

It seems to throw it up when switching between menu tabs on the WebGui. I am adding Media to my Plex Libary too, so that could have something to do with it.

Edited by leejbarker

Had these not long after too

Mar 9 06:10:03 Tower kernel: kvm: already loaded the other module
Mar 9 06:10:16 Tower kernel: kvm: already loaded the other module
Mar 9 06:42:59 Tower emhttp: err: sendOutput: fork failed
Mar 9 06:43:02 Tower root: 
Mar 9 06:43:02 Tower root: mmap() failed: [12] Cannot allocate memory
Mar 9 06:43:02 Tower root: 
Mar 9 06:43:02 Tower root: Can't initialize heap: [12] Cannot allocate memory
Mar 9 06:43:02 Tower kernel: dockerconfig.ph[24009]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000005f42ad sp 00007fff745f4060 error 4 in php[400000+724000]
Mar 9 06:43:02 Tower emhttp: err: _shcmd: system: Cannot allocate memory
Mar 9 06:43:02 Tower emhttp: err: _shcmd: system: Cannot allocate memory
Mar 9 06:43:10 Tower emhttp: err: sendOutput: fork failed
Mar 9 06:43:10 Tower emhttp: err: sendOutput: fork failed
Mar 9 06:43:11 Tower emhttp: err: sendOutput: fork failed

And just these

Mar 9 06:51:31 Tower kernel: Plex Media Scan[3117]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp 00002b65421ff8d8 error 14 in Plex Media Scanner[400000+42e000]
Mar 9 06:51:31 Tower kernel: traps: Plex Media Scan[3099] general protection ip:2b653c864552 sp:7fff318dc750 error:0

Interesting to see an almost brand new system getting started.  I suspect you had previously started, and formatted the 2 data drives with XFS, then re-prepared the boot drive cleanly, and started again.  It started with apparently nothing configured, then you began configuring various network and identity items, installed a few basic plugins, then assigned drives, tried an array startup, stopped it, made a few more changes, and started again.  But only a minute after installing 4 Dynamix system plugins (Stats, Temp, Info, and Buttons), the php segfault occurred, and shortly after that a number of diverse things went wrong.  I suspect the segfault was the first indicator of an unstable system.  But I don't see any obvious dependency issues, and you have tested your RAM (the usual suspects for segfaults).

Because it happens so close to the installation of those 4 plugins, I'd start there, eliminate several of them, and try starting with and without different combinations of the 4, see if you can determine if one of the 4 is malfunctioning within your system.  It seems unlikely, but we need to start by eliminating them as suspects.  @bonienl may want to monitor this, in case there's an issue with them.

There are a few odd workarounds in your syslog, so try checking for a newer BIOS version.  It probably won't help, but it's one more suspect we can easily eliminate, if there's a BIOS update.

I’ve just finished testing and so far no errors with everything installed. My testing process is outlined below.

I pulled the last diagnostic that I posted, uninstalled everything and restarted.

Then I added just Plex and the Community Apps Store, added Plex Media - No errors

Then I added PlexPy to the mix - No errors

Then I added the Dynamix plugins one by one - No errors.

So, I’m at a loss for what was causing the issues. My best guess is that there is something wrong either the USB stick or my memory. I’ve ran several passes of Memtest and that passed, so I suspect that the USB stick is doing something funny whilst loading to RAM at the start.

I’ll post another update on in a few days time to confirm everything is behaving and that this was just one of those odd issues.

I have noticed that the Plex Media Scanner seems to be taking much longer than usual, but I can live with that.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Diagnostic attached.

nas-diagnostics-20170310-1034.zip

• 1 month later...

Any change in your symptoms?  I share some of the exact same errors.  Errors started occuring in 6.3.2 and continued with 6.3.3.  Segfaults, out of memory statements that abend processes.  Processes like Dynamix fan control, segfault followed by the Dynamix fan process abending.  I can go in and restart the plugin.

I've noted other errors with Dynamix plugins and like you removed all of them, add them back in errors come back after 6 to 18 hours.

I'll also get qemu processes that fall over, VM's stop running.

I didn't see much of anything in your diag file since it was only about an hour and ten minute snapshot.  Post one of a longer run next time around.   

Edited by joedotmac
  • 4 years later...
On 4/29/2017 at 7:32 PM, leejbarker said:

I haven't been getting any errors for a while now.

I bought some more memory and that's the only real change I've made.

Years later but your thread is all I can find so here's hoping. Having similar php segfault errors that seem to be related to plex. Did you replacing your memory end up solving the issues, even though you weren't getting any memory errors?

• 4 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 6:03 AM, skwisgaarz said:

Years later but your thread is all I can find so here's hoping. Having similar php segfault errors that seem to be related to plex. Did you replacing your memory end up solving the issues, even though you weren't getting any memory errors?

FWIW, I've just recently had this error. I've only had it once, and it was while I was using an HD Homerun to stream the football on Plex. At one point, I had to restart the stream, and I'm guessing that this was what happened. I'll keep an eye on it, but hopefully it's just a one-off and we needn't be worried!