Upgrade to v 6 from 4.7

I have all my data backed up. Each drive is stand alone. I want to run this by you to see if you think it will work.

Rather than doing the upgrade on my existing 4.7 SD card (4 GB), I thought it would be easier to just buy a new one going from 4 GB to 8 GB. Prep the SD card with 6.3 and make it bootable. Remove the existing parity drive (2 TB) before plugging in the new operating system and replace afterwards with a 4 TB Drive. Run parity. I have a Sempron 145 CPU and I see I can get some multi-processors that fit this socket on e bay after we get everything else working.  Will this be an efficient way to upgrade? Should I consider a new mobo, CPU and upgrade the RAM from 4 to 8 or 16 GB? While I will start playing with all the new bells and whistles on 6, in the short term my plan is to continue with my NAS function but I see this can become so much more.

Thanks for all your help 

Edited by tunetyme
clarify

Your upgrade plan sounds good to me.  Try upgrading to V6 with what you have and use it for awhile.  If you plan to use your system as a traditional NAS, you will find that what you already have is fine.  If you upgrade, I would buy new rather than upgrade the existing platform, but that's me.

I had a Sempron 145 (and a 140) and I tried the upgrade to a multicore CPU that would work in one of those MB.  (Plus, I had 6GB of RAM.)  From my experience, I can tell you that the Sempron will do the basic NAS function at about the same level of performance.  I can also tell you that the improvement in performance using a dual core processor upgrade on my MB wasn't that great on a dual parity setup.  (No Dockers, VM's and only OS type plugins.)  You could also run into problems with the on-board NIC with version 6.  I solved that with an couple of Intel Network cards. 

You seem to want to be wanting to trying Dockers and VM's and I don't think you are going to very happy with the performance with the class  of processor that will work in a MB that supports the Sempron. 

You might want to be considering an upgrade of the CPU/MB/RAM in the very near future if you really want a system with decent performance with all of the 'bells-and-whistles'. 

Your plan of using a new stick is one approach and it makes going back a piece of cake.  Plus, I would bet that Flash Drive is several years old and those things don't last forever.  I would suggest that you read through the version 5 to version 6 upgrade WIKI as it has several suggestions on what which configuration files you can copy over to the new Flash to preserve your setup.  Here is a link to it:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

And one more thing!  Do one upgrade at a time!  If you run into a problem, it is best not to have to figure out which upgrade is the source of the problem...

1 hour ago, tunetyme said:

Remove the existing parity drive (2 TB) before plugging in the new operating system and replace afterwards with a 4 TB Drive.

I don't see any good reason to give up parity while upgrading. Simpler to just replace it after the upgrade. First rule of troubleshooting, only change one thing at a time.

I will start work on it today. Frank, I appreciate your comments regarding just upgrading the CPU.

When this is squared away, I will start researching upgrading the mobo, CPU, and RAM.

Turl, I will wait to upgrade the parity drive. My rational was the fact I have current copies of everything and I do not plan to add any files until the upgrade process is complete and running smoothly for a couple weeks in a playback mode only.

After you do the upgrade to version and things seem to be working  (a day or so is enough, being sure to test streaming of high data rate video!), run a parity check as a part of this testing to see that things are OK.  Then you can think about upgrading that parity disk.  Don't be afraid to write data to the array as that should be a part of your testing.  Remember that this is not beta software.  A high percentage of unRAID users are currently using version 6.3.

11 minutes ago, tunetyme said:

I installed the new operating system. It booted!!!

I can't log onto the tower with //tower:8080 and the network does not see any of my drives.  Any suggestions?

Why are you specifying port 8080?     The default port is 80 (which is what is assumed by the browser if youomit the port).   Perhaps this a remnant from running unMenu which used port 8080 by default.

Edited by itimpi

8080 was definitely what you would have used to login to unMenu, which you shouldn't have anymore and don't need. And unMenu presented the actual unRAID web interface in a frame within itself when you clicked on unRAID Main (or something like that) in its menu.

If your server is named tower then http://tower is all that should be required, though often there are problems getting the name recognized on Windows networks and that might need to be worked through. You might try http://IP-addr-of-your-server.

Do you have a monitor and keyboard attached? If so, you can get the IP address of your server if you don't already know it by typing this at the command line:

ifconfig

7 hours ago, trurl said:

If your server is named tower then http://tower is all that should be required, though often there are problems getting the name recognized on Windows networks and that might need to be worked through. You might try http://IP-addr-of-your-server.

To force Windows to resolve your host name, you can add an entry for your server in the hosts file, but you should always be able to fall back on http://ipaddress (browser) or \\ipaddress (file explorer).  The Windows hosts file is located here:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

On it's own line, add your server's IP Address and host name separated by at least one space.  Like this: 

192.168.1.100       tower

If you do this, you of course want to make sure you're assigning your server a static IP address either by manual configuration or through your router's DHCP / MAC reservation.

Edited by dboonthego

Turl, yes I did copy the key and config files that were recommended but wasn't clear on how to restore them. As it turned out I had a different problem with a disk drive that does not appear in the list. I have since reload 4.7 and now it to doesn't see it. Accessing the tower is "iffy" even using the IP address from windows 7. I have been able to log on once but I haven't been able to since. 

I ran a check on the remaining 5 data drives without mounting them. There were some read errors on another drive (207). I am not clear where to go to next to test the "missing drive."  BTW  it was working fine before the upgrade and me inside the case.

My existing drives are reiserfs and I see that 6 is using a new system for formating. Will this cause any problems going forward?

Deboonthego, I think I will try to resolve this after I can see all my drives. One odd thing is that I have tried to create a password for root. If I logout and login it is there, if I reboot then no password. (not booting into the new GUI). Have I missed something?

Thanks for all you help.

1 hour ago, tunetyme said:

My existing drives are reiserfs and I see that 6 is using a new system for formating. Will this cause any problems going forward?

Correct, XFS is the default and recommended file system for new disks, but it won't hurt to have a mix in your system.  Many people eventually opt to convert to xfs after upgrading to v6.  There are threads dedicated specifically for this if you ever decide to do it.

56 minutes ago, tunetyme said:

Found a loose connection it is up and working. I have started the array with the parity disk unassigned. Everything is up. 

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me.  Always because I poked around inside the case.  How come parity is unassigned?