New to Unraid, couple of questions.

Hello Unraid members. 

I have installed Unraid and slowly getting to grips with it. 

I plan to use for plex, I also want a couple of VMs.

I do have a question, When I create a VM,  can I run this VM from another machine, if I can what is the process and how does it run on the system. In a web browser? 

I plan on buying 2 8tb WD reds, anyone have advice on other options. 

My trial is nearly finished so I plan on going pro. 

Thank you for the replies.. 

Another question. 

If i install kodi docker, direct all my media into that kodi docker. 

What is the best way to access this on my other system. I want to have my media all sync'd back to the Unraid docker... . So for example if I watch a film upstairs on kodi and pause, it's still in same place downstairs.. 

You'll need a device to play Kodi on, while I have no experience with the Kodi docker itself, I use rasberry pi's to play Kodi from a micro SD card. In Kodi, you simply setup network locations for your  media and Kodi will play it. If you pause a show or movie in Kodi, and then open Kodi somewhere else and go to that show or movie, it should offer you the ability to resume from where you paused it. You can also look into Plex or Emby, they both do the same thing and allow you to play your media on a variety of devices, they too are available in unRAID as dockers. I Plex in a docker and it works very well.

21 hours ago, Greygoose said:

I plan on buying 2 8tb WD reds, anyone have advice on other options. 

I'd go with the Seagate archive disks. Much cheaper, good reliability stats, and good experiences with use in unRaid.

Good luck with your array!

15 hours ago, Greygoose said:

Thank you for the replies.. 

Another question. 

If i install kodi docker, direct all my media into that kodi docker. 

What is the best way to access this on my other system. I want to have my media all sync'd back to the Unraid docker... . So for example if I watch a film upstairs on kodi and pause, it's still in same place downstairs.. 

Here is what I'm doing:

I run LibreELEC with the latest Kodi Krypton build in a virtual machine on my unRAID server which is connected via HDMI to my main TV.

In addition I have the Emby Docker installed which is able to sync your Kodi database.

To get this working you need to install the 'Emby for Kodi plugin' on your Kodi setup.

That way the Emby Docker can be used as a centralized database for all your Kodi devices.

You can even setup an Nginx reverse proxy in a docker to access all your media via Emby when you are away from home.