[SOLVED] Can not access files - no command prompt

Need some help getting my server back on line.

Server has worked fine for years.  I got a new router & moved the server, and now I can't bring my server online.

This is an older unRAID OS (v 4.6?).

I have the server on my workbench, not hooked up to my network.

I can get to the boot screen where you select OS or memtest.  The computer then auto boots into unRAID OS.  Then I get some errors and no prompt.  I can not produce a syslog file.

FWIW, I did grab a screen shot (see attached).

Sorry my unRAID skills are a little rusty!

I would appreciate input on next steps for troubleshooting.  I need some files from server for taxes!

20170306_174518.jpg

Edited by mrwood

I "Think" this is a case of a dead / corrupt USB stick and that this is telling us that the kernel cannot communicate with the USB stick and therefore cannot mount the root file system.

Either way I'm inclined to advise you to upgrade the server to the latest version first anyway. Undertaking that process you will quickly determine if there is an issue with the USB stick AND you will also get yourself on the latest version allowing you to capture more detailed diagnostics if there are any further issues. Backup your existing USB first (if you can) if you haven't already.

If you need to change your USB key: https://lime-technology.com/replace-key/

To aid you in upgrading: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

First of all however, lets see if anyone else can offer something else that I haven't seen ....

Thanks - appreciate the input!

I can access the USB files on another computer.  I tried to find a current syslog file (no luck - all log files from last troubleshooting in 2012.....).  Let me know if I should check some other files on USB stick.

I am certainly open to upgrading software.  Especially if that can get me a command prompt & enhance my troubleshooting!

Not sure how I crashed it, but a FREE upgrade to the latest version OS has me back up & running!

Thanks Danioj for the links.  I followed the process, transferred some of my old files & key, and server came up.  Parity valid.  Got a SMART status warning for one disk ('current pending sector'); this is a new feature for me, so I will have to do some research.

Best news - wife happy, she can access her files & do the taxes!

Edited by mrwood