Looking for NIC recommendations

Hello,

I've been attempting to get a 4 port Intel nic working with Pfsense with not much luck. You can read about those issues here:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/55478-pfsense-in-vm-with-pci-passthrough-issues/

I am considering writing that NIC off as a loss and picking up a different one, but want to hear what others are using. So, has anyone successfully passed through a 4 port gigabit NIC to a PfSense VM? If so, what is the exact part number of your NIC? I do have vt-d on this setup, also looking for pcie.

This is the server I am currently running:

SuperMicro X8DTU-F motherboard with a YT674 Dell/Intel NIC

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have the following 4 port card on a physical pfsense install: Dell R886R - Intel Pro 1000 VT Quad Port 1Gb Server Adapter PCIe x4

Didn't try o use it in a vm, but should work all the same I would guess. The card was plug and play.

also, responding in your other thread as well.

s-l1600.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone running in to the same issue, I have found a different quad port nic that appears to be working perfectly so far.  I picked up an Intel I350-T4.  I am doing PCIe passthrough to pfSense just fine now.

Here is what the lspci shows for the card:

lspci

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
04:00.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
04:00.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

lspci -n
04:00.0 0200: 8086:1521 (rev 01)
04:00.1 0200: 8086:1521 (rev 01)
04:00.2 0200: 8086:1521 (rev 01)
04:00.3 0200: 8086:1521 (rev 01)

I think the i350s are the way to go.  I tried an older intel chipset which wouldn't work either -wasted loads of time trying to pass through before realising unraid wasnt installing the card properly.

Like you i got an i350-t2 for £60 on eBay which was recognised by unraid properly (when working properly extra adapters are listed in settings/network settings before stubbing) first time with no messing around.

1 hour ago, DZMM said:

I think the i350s are the way to go.  I tried an older intel chipset which wouldn't work either -wasted loads of time trying to pass through before realising unraid wasnt installing the card properly.

Like you i got an i350-t2 for £60 on eBay which was recognised by unraid properly (when working properly extra adapters are listed in settings/network settings before stubbing) first time with no messing around.

It was actually one of your other posts I found that turned me towards the I350.  I picked mine up from ebay for ~$40.  Pretty sure it is a Chinese knock-off, but it seems to work great so far.

31 minutes ago, Kunzy said:

I picked mine up from ebay for ~$40.  Pretty sure it is a Chinese knock-off, but it seems to work great so far.

Careful it doesn't melt your motherboard ;-)

I think mine is genuine as the seller looked like one of those that flips old data centre gear, but like you in a home environment i cant tell the difference