Add option for remote syslog in WebGUI

It would be great to have a WebGUI Settings option for remote syslog host setup. 

I know there are ways to setup remote syslog with custom go scripts to copy conf files so settings can be retained on reboot, but it always seems so kludgy to do things that way.

Implicit support for setting up a remote syslog host to point the unraid syslog to would make life so much easier for those of us who like to parse everything on the network with tools like Splunk.

• Upvote 2
  • 5 months later...
Just now, bonienl said:

Yeah, but how many people are going to set up a syslog server to support this request?

Even if you setup unRAID to be ITS OWN syslog server, and log to a disk instead of to RAM, it would be useful in problem solving scenarios.

13 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Yeah, but how many people are going to set up a syslog server to support this request?

Well, I use a Splunk docker container for parsing the syslogs from all my home's servers and various network devices that have remote syslog capability (virtually all of them including routers, switches, wifi access points, console KVM servers, IOT devices, set top boxes, other docker containers, VirtualMachines, etc).  It's pretty silly that everything on my network can feed their logs to Splunk on one of my unRAID servers, but the 2 unRAID servers I run don't.  There are a lot of us using unRAID with Splunk or ELK setup for all our syslogs.  

It's kind of a basic feature for anything that deems itself a "server".  There are hacky ways of making it work, but it's really something that should be available in Settings.

Edited by jedimstr
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So many plusses ...

I created a new syslog server functionality in the GUI, which allows the following

1. Local syslog server - let the Unraid server act as central syslog server and collect messages from other devices in your network
  2. Remote syslog server - let the Unraid server sent syslog messages to a remote (central) syslog server
  3. Mirror syslog to flash - used for troubleshooting: syslog messages are mirrored to flash for later examination

• Like 6
11 hours ago, bonienl said:

So many plusses ...

I created a new syslog server functionality in the GUI, which allows the following

1. Local syslog server - let the Unraid server act as central syslog server and collect messages from other devices in your network
  2. Remote syslog server - let the Unraid server sent syslog messages to a remote (central) syslog server
  3. Mirror syslog to flash - used for troubleshooting: syslog messages are mirrored to flash for later examination

This is really great, thank you Bonienl

Bonienl is this feature in the latest release of Unraid? (If so can you point out where its located as I cant seem to find it)

Or is this going to be in the next release?

Thanks again.

12 minutes ago, pauloj said:

This is really great, thank you Bonienl

Bonienl is this feature in the latest release of Unraid? (If so can you point out where its located as I cant seem to find it)

Or is this going to be in the next release?

Thanks again.

It will be included in Unraid 6.7.0-rc3 (next release)