Container Help: Homeseer

Hello, I am having trouble finding a good guide on making a container for unraid, aimed at someone with 0 experience in the matter.

I am currently running a VM for Windows Server for 1 piece of sotware (Homeseer) and cannot find a pre build container, which leaves me fending for myself.  The problem is every guide I find seems to be aimed at an experienced user with dockers. or for another system like the raspberry pi, and i am finding it all very confusing.

Homeseer has a downloadable tar on there website with all the needed files for a linux environment. there are a few prereqs needed before installing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Hello, I am having trouble finding a good guide on making a container for unraid, aimed at someone with 0 experience in the matter.

I am currently running a VM for Windows Server for 1 piece of sotware (Homeseer) and cannot find a pre build container, which leaves me fending for myself.  The problem is every guide I find seems to be aimed at an experienced user with dockers. or for another system like the raspberry pi, and i am finding it all very confusing.

Homeseer has a downloadable tar on there website with all the needed files for a linux environment. there are a few prereqs needed before installing.

Creating a container for unraid is no different than creating a container for any system. The docs on dockers website should be able to get you going but you will require Linux experience.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I ran homeseer in both a vm and in a docker container and realized it wasn't the best solution. Whenever my server was down, my entire home automation was also down. The worst was when I had a power outage where my server shut down and stayed down (as expected) until I manually turned it on, and none of the timed scenes fired until then.

I decided the best solution was to dedicate a Raspberry pi for homeseer. It cost about fifty dollars for an rpi 3, power adapter, case and sd card (as a kit). It has better uptime than my server and during a power loss, it's ok for it to shut down uncleanly and it turns on again once the power is back.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:57 AM, aptalca said:

I ran homeseer in both a vm and in a docker container and realized it wasn't the best solution. Whenever my server was down, my entire home automation was also down. The worst was when I had a power outage where my server shut down and stayed down (as expected) until I manually turned it on, and none of the timed scenes fired until then.

I decided the best solution was to dedicate a Raspberry pi for homeseer. It cost about fifty dollars for an rpi 3, power adapter, case and sd card (as a kit). It has better uptime than my server and during a power loss, it's ok for it to shut down uncleanly and it turns on again once the power is back.

My system is running fine :-) settings are configured to power on automatically should the power fail.  If the power does fail the UPS will kick-in, but then the devices being controlled wont have any power anyway :-(

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:42 AM, th3count said:

Hi,

Did you manage to put something together for running Homeseer in a Docker?

Thanks

• 7 months later...

I know this post is dated, but since I came across it while attempting to do the same setup, I figured I'd follow up to let you know that I was able to use the Homeseer container found here to easily setup a container in Unraid and it's been working great. I've attached a screenshot of my container settings for reference in case it's needed. I modified port 80 to 81 since I use 80 for the Unraid webUI. 

image.thumb.png.2a4c80c7188f7402b9657c523ca5a2cc.png

Hello,

I was using the setup for some time, but was having trouble with some of the apps on other devices attempting to connect to HomeSeer.  The IP being returned from MyHS was an Internal Docker IP address.  

I did some digging and now my HomeSeer Docker container picks up its own IP address on my network :-)

I don't have to configure the ports here and all the Apps now function correctly.

I should have bookmarked where i found the information on how to set this up with Docker.  Some Command Line entries are required along with the extra Parameters specified below.

Just Thought I'd share :-)

image.png.00129e6c5dd8b6eebc1a6e48c9e4d815.png

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but im looking at doing this setup and was hoping i could get some assistance - bear in mind i have no knowledge dockers.

so farm what i have managed to do, is download the docker image form the repository as per @sweigh screenshot.

Also mapping all ports, containers and paths as per screenshot.

Next, i d/l the linux tar.gz file from Homeseer website and unpacked it into my appdata folder on my cache drive. Container paths are mapped to this folder.

Now, im unsure where or what to do next?

Obviously, its not as simple as what i have done??

would love some pointers

Cheers

Edited by bdydrp
2 hours ago, bdydrp said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but im looking at doing this setup and was hoping i could get some assistance - bear in mind i have no knowledge dockers.

so farm what i have managed to do, is download the docker image form the repository as per @sweigh screenshot.

Also mapping all ports, containers and paths as per screenshot.

Next, i d/l the linux tar.gz file from Homeseer website and unpacked it into my appdata folder on my cache drive. Container paths are mapped to this folder.

Now, im unsure where or what to do next?

Obviously, its not as simple as what i have done??

would love some pointers

Cheers

Hi,

All i did was go the Docker screen, click 'Add Container' and enter the details as per the setup image.

I was moving from a PC installed installation, so copied my configuration files across to the HomeSeer directory in the appData directory.

I've been running mine for some time now, with little issues with homeseer itself. (Just some temperamental Z-Wave devices)

Good Luck 

Setup.png

That's sounds like one of the reasons i set up the dedicated IP address.  Need to configure this in the Docker settings also.

If you have used the bridge settings, then you will also need to add the ports for the docker container.  The homeseer will be accessible via your UnRaid IP and the ports you configure in the docker container.  8080 to 80 for e.g.

Docker_IP.png