Looking for more cache drive space

Glimmerman911

• 2 weeks later...

Essentially any good brand SSD will be a gigantic leap in terms of disk performance if you're coming from a regular hard drive. Personally, i'd rather save a small fortune than pony up for a samsung drive.

I currently use 2 AData SP550 (256gb) in a couple laptops and just recently added a SK Hynix 120GB SSD for unRAID, I've had 0 issues with all 3 drives.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Glimmerman911 said:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of going with a single cache drive vs a pool?

Single drive you can use XFS instead of BTRFS. Pool has to use BTRFS.

If your server is perfectly stable and you never experience lockups or crashes, BTRFS is awesome, it has several features that XFS doesn't support. However... the chances of a BTRFS pool becoming unmountable with data loss or extreme recovery efforts needed after a lockup or unclean power down are anecdotally much higher, at least on these forums.

In either case, single XFS or pool BTRFS,  you are advised to use CA Backup and keep up with backup of any other data that resides on your cache permanently.

On 2/27/2017 at 7:20 PM, Glimmerman911 said:

Should I go with 2 x 500gig or 1 x 1tb?

How much space do you want and do you want redundancy?  The default configuration for 2 x 500GB would be BTRFS RAID-1, so 500GB with redundancy.  You can also configure the pool so that the second SSD extends the space available rather than creates redundancy but that's more useful for older mixed size drives rather than new.

7 hours ago, tdallen said:

How much space do you want and do you want redundancy?  The default configuration for 2 x 500GB would be BTRFS RAID-1, so 500GB with redundancy.  You can also configure the pool so that the second SSD extends the space available rather than creates redundancy but that's more useful for older mixed size drives rather than new.

Thank you for the info, that is what I was looking for, I wasn't sure what a cache pool was capable of.  

So if I buy another ssd like a 500g, I can ad that to my existing 250g cache drive, and have 750g of cache?  

I don't need redundancy as I am going to backup my permanent files off the cache drive every night.

11 minutes ago, Glimmerman911 said:

Thank you for the info, that is what I was looking for, I wasn't sure what a cache pool was capable of.  

So if I buy another ssd like a 500g, I can ad that to my existing 250g cache drive, and have 750g of cache?  

I don't need redundancy as I am going to backup my permanent files off the cache drive every night.