PreClearing 'Frozen'?

I began pre clearing 2 drives I had in the home (unsure when i bought them) that are both WD green 2TB drives in working to move my system over XFS as well increase some data drives from 1TB to 2TB drives.  

I started preclearing these 2 days ago, using the Web GUI in unraid 6 do it, vs in the past via screen and terminal.   Anyway, things appeared fine yet now it seems both are possibly 'stuck' or 'frozen.  I have both set to run 2 preclear cycles.

On the first drive, it has been showing pre-read on the 2nd cycle at 96%.

And the second ones shows doing a post-read on the 2nd cycle at 79%

The have both been showing that for at least 12 hours now.   Is there any way to check the status via an SSH login to determine what is happening?

1 hour ago, Spies said:

I had this issue when I was trying to preclear with only 1gb ram installed, how much does your system have?

I'm running Unraid as VM within Esxi and have 4GB allocated to it.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Update your sig, it says 5.0rc16b

Thanks,  Its been so long since upgrading with Unraid being rock solid.     Updated sig and running 6.3.2.

Since I'm running unraid as VM as well, I just accessed the console for that VM and not seeing any errors shown.   But I'm hesitant to stop and restart the preclear after 2 days and it having already completed 1 cycle.

The preclear script can be interrupted, it will not negate what it has done so far or start writing garbage to the drive. You can run a read and some other checks from the UI if you need assurance.

As for memory I don't get the impression the script is buffering too much, at most 2MB at a time from what I read. And I didn't see any change in usage on my system when it was running against a 6TB drive. That said if the system is already close to the limit a few megs is enough. ^^

Edit:

If you need to look for something via ssh, use "iotop" to look for the script and "dd" which does the heavy lifting. "htop" can be useful too to break down memory usage.

I should mention that iotop is available from the Nerd Pack plugin, htop is built in as I recall.

Edited by kyis