KVM + Power Control

LimeB

For years I have been running a Super Micro server board with IPMI. I love the ability of being headless with remote power controls. I am running a few generations ago Intel chip and have been early waiting for Super Micro's updated IPMI with HTML5 instead of Java but now that Ryzen is due out in a few days and that I started running some apps in Docker and some VMs, I am really interested in an 8 core Ryzen chip for my server. The issue for me is not running a server motherboard and having headless and power controls.

Can anyone recommend a good KVM setup that also gives me power controls and would allow me to use it on any motherboard that I use? It also would be pretty nice if it allowed control for a few boxes but even just a single would be fine. Also hoping not to spend to much, maybe a few hundred bucks is fine with me.

I assume you want this over IP, not local. I think the entry level KVM over IP with power control start around $500+, so it would make more sense to wait for a server board.

If you troll ebay and similar sources for used datacenter stuff, you might luck out. I'd imagine the resale value on something like that would be pretty low.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

I assume you want this over IP, not local. I think the entry level KVM over IP with power control start around $500+, so it would make more sense to wait for a server board.

If you troll ebay and similar sources for used datacenter stuff, you might luck out. I'd imagine the resale value on something like that would be pretty low.

Oh yes, correct, over IP. The cost seems to be the issue.I could see going $300 tops but everything I am finding that should provide good quality/reliability is a bit more than that. Maybe I will have to just wait.

On 2/28/2017 at 4:40 AM, Chris Pollard said:

I found a Belkin one relatively cheap on eBay.... but be warned that also uses Java.

Which one did you pick up? Reviews seem hit or miss on theirs. Java sucks but it is what it is.

Edited by LimeB