Format Unraid USB drive

dinu99

Hi,

I would like to format my Unraid USB drive and re-install unraid OS as it is 4 years old. Please let me know how to foramt USB flash without rebuilding entire UNRAID system.

Could you let me know where the Array information, UNRAID Apps, OS configurations are stored, Do I need to reconfigure the UNRAID after re-installing unraid OS?

Unraid version: Latest

7 minutes ago, dinu99 said:

Hi,

I would like to format my Unraid USB drive and re-install unraid OS as it is 4 years old. Please let me know how to foramt USB flash without rebuilding entire UNRAID system.

Could you let me know where the Array information, UNRAID Apps, OS configurations are stored, Do I need to reconfigure the UNRAID after re-installing unraid OS?

Unraid version: Latest

you may find this article of use.

Let's see I have this straight.  Your USB drive is four years old, you want to reformat it and you are running ver 6.3.2.  Why are you doing this?  Is there a problem? Are you simply thinking that a reinstall will prevent a problem with the Flash Drive in the future? 

If the answer to my  last assumption is 'yes', here is my suggestion for you.  First stop the array, copy the entire contents of the Flash Drive to a folder on another computer.  (You can now restart the array.)  Purchase a quality brand-name Flash drive.  Copy the Files that you saved earlier to this new drive.  Run the make-bootable file using the instructions in any of the upgrade or install instructions.  Shut down the server. swap the in the new Flash Drive and restart.   Follow the instructions here to get a new key file:

https://lime-technology.com/replace-key/

Edited by Frank1940

You do realize that the entire unRAID OS is stored in two files and it is unpacked and completely installed in memory EVERYTIME you restart the server. (The OS runs from memory and very, very rarely uses that Flash Drive.)    Everything else-- Plugins, Dockers and VM's--  are like 'programs' that you have probably installed on your Desktop computer.  Every time you have upgraded the unRAID from one version to the next, you have essentially reinstalled the OS.  What you didn't do was to reinstall all of the other stuff...

If that was your intent, you need to use my instructions and install the most recent version of unRAID, copy back the configuration files and that will get your server running as a basic NAS.  Then reinstall all of the Plugins, Dockers and VM's.  Here is the link (again) to those instructions: