USB boot enumation fail on Gigabyte X99 Designare EX

Whenever I boot to unraid via my USB thumb drive, I get a bunch of messages related to USB enumeration of my SanDisk Ultra Fit 32G.  Here's an example

usb 4-6.3: Device not responding to setup address.

usb 4-6.3: Device not responding to setup address.

usb 4-6.3: Device not accepting address 6, error -71

usb 4-6-port 3: unable to enumerate USB device 

waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID

I've found two work arounds, but neither is perfect:

1) Pull the USB drive when the error occurs, then re-insert.  (Fixes the problem for that session only)

2) Put the USB drive on my Inateck PCIe USB card (not great, because I want to forward this PCIE card to my VM)

The following things don't seem to work:

1)  Messing in the BIOS with XHCI and USB settings (I think I tried every single switch)

2)  Forcing USB 2.0 operation (by using a USB2 extension cable)

3)  Trying a different USB 3.0 port (either direct to PCH, through an on-board Renesas USB hub, or via Thunderbolt chip)

Based on these results, I think the issue can be root caused to re-enumeration during the boot process.  Obviously, the drive is recognized at boot, otherwise is wouldn't boot.  But I notice what appears to be a re-enumeration step during the latter part of unraid boot.  There are other USB devices that seem enumerate just fine, like the mouse and keyboard, my CPU cooler, even my Oculus rift.  

I'm not sure if the problem is that the SanDisk won't properly re-enumerate, or if the PCH and Renesas bridge are not handling thing appropriately.  Either way, it is pretty messed up.

My next step is to try a couple different thumb drives to see if they also exhibit this behavior.

--Harper

2017-02-24_131333.png

Edited by harperhendee