Server weirdness - multiple disk errors

ashman70

Came into my office this morning to see all the lights blinking on my Supermicro sever and I thought, 'here we go again, it must of rebooted' but actually it hadn't however it was running a parity check. Further investigation reveals that for some reason multiple disk errors were reported causing the server to do a parity check. Right now, I've got 8 disks showing exactly 128 errors and the parity check is almost at 28%. No drives are offline, no red x's, very odd. I've attached diagnostics. Interestingly enough, the parity check has found and corrected 128 sync errors so far.

tower-diagnostics-20170226-1229.zip

Lots of lines similar to this in syslog

Feb 26 00:03:44 Tower kernel: md: disk12 read error, sector=1000
Feb 26 00:03:44 Tower kernel: md: disk13 read error, sector=1000
Feb 26 00:03:44 Tower kernel: md: disk14 read error, sector=1000
Feb 26 00:03:44 Tower kernel: md: disk17 read error, sector=1000
Feb 26 00:03:44 Tower kernel: md: disk18 read error, sector=1000
Feb 26 00:03:44 Tower kernel: md: disk20 read error, sector=1000
Feb 26 00:03:44 Tower kernel: md: disk21 read error, sector=1000
Feb 26 00:03:44 Tower kernel: md: disk22 read error, sector=1000

Are these on the same controller?

3 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

I am a little confused by 'raw read error rate' should the value for every disk be 0 and if its not how does the value reflect on the overall health of the disk?

Every disk sector contains a ton of ECC information so that in case of a misread bit or two (which happens all the time), the sector can be properly reconstructed.  Its when this process fails that you get the reported uncorrectable / reallocated sectors etc.

Seagate is one of the rare companies that actually reports the value.  You only need to worry about it when the value begins to approach the threshold