Rebuilding a failed drive - Many Days

I'll preface with this with:  I'm very new to Unraid and this is the first computer I've every built. 

ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16

(2) Xeon E5-2665

Memory *NEW* (4) Crucial Balistx Sport 8g DDR3 [ 32gb total, all being read ]

Parity Drive *NEW* 3tb drive

Disk1 *NEW* 3tb drive [ This is where I stored all of my medial data ]

Disk2 *OLD* 2tb drive [ nothing important on it ]

Disk3 *OLD* 2tb drive [ nothing important on it ]

Disk4 *OLD* 1tb drive [ nothing important on it ]

Cache *NEW* 250Gb Cache

Unraid 6.3.0 Plus - on an adata 16gb flash drive

Installed a bunch of tools and dockers and everything was rocking.

Disk2 failed. I bought another 3Tb drive and replaced the disk. Ran preclear, assigned it to Disk2. I also attached a 3tb drive that had the backup data for disk1. I precleared it, mounted and formatted it then assigned it as disk5. Started the array. The rebuild for Disk2 was taking a very long time. after 12 hours was around 20% complete, speeds were as slow a 1.1kb and estimating 186 days to complete.

I wasn't worried about losing the data on Disk2, so I used the New Config in Tools and did whatever it took Disk2 in as part of the array without having to rebuild. Unfortunately, when I did this using the Unassigned Devices plugin, I must have had a setting wrong, I could not SMB into the drive and had no permissions to access it. I think I neglected to toggle a feature in Unnasigned Devices and the drive was private. I stopped the array, and set Disk2 properly and restart the array. Instead of showing up and Disk2 there was some long string a characters. So I stopped the array and tried again. This is where I really shit the bed! By accident I took down Disk1. Out of fury, after this my memory gets a little hazy. It read that Disk1 (the drive with most all of my media data) and Disk2 were unmountable and needed to be formatted. I believe I "think" is toggled "automount" put them to selected the proper drive to disk1 and disk2 and restarted in Maintenance Mode. Currently, Disk2 looks good and It's attempting to rebuild the data. Estimated to take 72 days at this point. I really don't want to lose the data on disk1. However, I could build it again manually in less than 72 days. 

It looks like my old drives disk3 and disk5 are having read errors. I'm will to take them out or even lose the data on them all together if that's whats slowing down the rebuild. The start a new configuration. At this point, all I care about is not losing the data on disk1. Everything else is still backed up on my windows machine. 

My other computers are all Windows. I'm considering creating an Ubuntu flash drive, stopping the rebuild, booting from Ubuntu, moving the data to another disk and restarting.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

syslog

Edited by 1trkmind

Feb 25 17:10:49 DoctorHands kernel: XFS (md2): Corruption detected. Unmount and run xfs_repair

You need to Check Disk Filesystem on disks 1 & 2

Disk 3 & 5 did drop offline, but it may be a simple case of cabling being loose.  

BTW, its recommended to always upload the complete diagnostics as the file contains the SMART info for the drives, the syslog, and a whack of other items.

Thanks. I'm not sure how to get the complete diagnostics. I'll figure it out. 

I did these things for disk1: 

when I run the Check Disk Filesytem I get the message "superblock read faild, offset 0, size 524288, ag 0, rval -1" fatal error input/output error. 

I tried to run xfs_repair -v /dev/md1 in the terminal and got a similar ""superblock read faild, offset 0, size 524288" error. 

Is it an issue mounting the drive without having to format it? 

Thanks. I'm not sure how to get the complete diagnostics. I'll figure it out. 
I did these things for disk1: 

when I run the Check Disk Filesytem I get the message "superblock read faild, offset 0, size 524288, ag 0, rval -1" fatal error input/output error. 

I tried to run xfs_repair -v /dev/md1 in the terminal and got a similar ""superblock read faild, offset 0, size 524288" error. 

Is it an issue mounting the drive without having to format it? 
You get the diagnostics from the tools tab.

Not sure about the errors. Probably be good to wait for the resident guru @johnnie.black

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Not sure about the errors. Probably be good to wait for the resident guru @johnnie.black

I'm on vacation this week so won't be able to post as much, one thing that jumps out in this thread is the famous marvell controller in those boards, if you're using the first 4 white sata ports stop it, they are notorious problematic dropping disks, use the intel ports only.