Which personal cloud?

BLKMGK

I see threads about Owncloud, NextCloud, and I've seen Seafiles mentioned - likely others out there. I'd like to run a cloud of my own such that when I take pictures or receive files on my IOS devices they end up stored in MY cloud not DropBox or Amazon or apple's data center. I backup my server with RCLONE to ACD now with everything encrypted, I just want to create my own space. Which package is working best for this? Security issues? i can run it as a Docker on UNRAID or as a VM in ESX or heck even a docker in a VM on ESX lol. I'm interested in hearing what people have found works well, something that supports IOS for sure and also supports Android too.

Thoughts? Reading the various threads I wasn't really getitng a clear sense of feature differences or of issues so if someone could break it down some I'd appreciate it!

I see threads about Owncloud, NextCloud, and I've seen Seafiles mentioned - likely others out there. I'd like to run a cloud of my own such that when I take pictures or receive files on my IOS devices they end up stored in MY cloud not DropBox or Amazon or apple's data center. I backup my server with RCLONE to ACD now with everything encrypted, I just want to create my own space. Which package is working best for this? Security issues? i can run it as a Docker on UNRAID or as a VM in ESX or heck even a docker in a VM on ESX lol. I'm interested in hearing what people have found works well, something that supports IOS for sure and also supports Android too.

Thoughts? Reading the various threads I wasn't really getitng a clear sense of feature differences or of issues so if someone could break it down some I'd appreciate it!

I use nextcloud docker, together with letsencrypt docker from linuxserver.io.
Works perfect together.
I use it to sync files from work and automatic upload photos from my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

Letsencrypt is just for the SSL certs right? The biggest hassle I see with that is that they constantly expire and must be renewed, is that what the hassle was of figuring them out? Any tips for Nextcloud? How secure is it since I'll likely have to poke a hole in the firewall to expose the service. Last thing I want is someone roaming my network lol! I have Dyndns working for VP services so that part isn't bad and I assume is required? Any issues upgrading from release to another? Are you on 11 now?

Edited by BLKMGK

you can have a look at 

https://docs.cozy.io/en/

I just found out (as I am also looking for personal cloud software) and I am thinking on how to install it to UnRaid.

I tried woth docker with no luck (there is no mountpoint to set) and I tried to convert the virtualbox file to import into VM but also couldn't load the disk.

Any ideas?

(sorry to hijack, I can open a new topic but didn't know where as there are so many way to install it!)

I'll look into changing the port, i tinkered around with an NGINX config file and made it angry so obviously that wasn't right lol. I'll see what the docs say, thanks! 

Otherwise, my Docker is running fine near as I can tell. Having issues getting my PFSense firewall to pass HTTPS to it which is why I wanted to swap ports, I think it's a config issue with the firewall though. Inside my network it works fine - including the mount point!

goto the Docker tab in unRAID, click on the link for the NextCloud Docker, this gives you a config tab. Appdata is where NextCloud stores data, NextCloud data is where a mountpoint can be defined - it's possible to browse your datastore to choose where data comes from - mine is within an unRAID share. Is that what you were looking for? You can also define the port the Docker is allowed to use, any network config changes to NextCloud will likely require a change here too in order for it to network.

That help any?

Edit: Ah wait, you're suggesting something called Cozy for personal cloud? that's one I hadn't heard of. I'm trying to get NextCloud working, so far the Docker has worked great, my firewall not so much lol

Edited by BLKMGK
4 hours ago, BLKMGK said:

Edit: Ah wait, you're suggesting something called Cozy for personal cloud? that's one I hadn't heard of. I'm trying to get NextCloud working, so far the Docker has worked great, my firewall not so much lol

Yes I am talking about Cozy!!!

I successfully installed Cozy as a debian VM. They provide the file for Virtualbox so I converted the disk and imported to Unraid.

Now I am really confused!

I need to decide what I want to do.

One big downside with Cozy is the absence of users. So I will have to install multiple instances which increases the disk/cpu load.

I will play with nextcloud and see...

Edited by karateo
On 26/2/2017 at 5:51 PM, BLKMGK said:

Letsencrypt is just for the SSL certs right? The biggest hassle I see with that is that they constantly expire and must be renewed, is that what the hassle was of figuring them out? Any tips for Nextcloud? How secure is it since I'll likely have to poke a hole in the firewall to expose the service. Last thing I want is someone roaming my network lol! I have Dyndns working for VP services so that part isn't bad and I assume is required? Any issues upgrading from release to another? Are you on 11 now?

Sorry for my late reply. 

But yes, as you already figured out Letsencrypt is for SSL certs. The letsencrypt docker will check if the certs need renewal every time its restarted or updated, so thats not a big deal.

I used a guide from @aptalca to setup his letsencrypt docker to work with my nextcloud. He joined the the team from linuxserver.io now, so thats the docker you should use. I'll reply again when i get home. How is it going with your nextcloud? Is it running? I use the docker from lsiodev. 

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So far I've yet to get my firewall working right and just haven't had time for it but NextCloud was pretty easy overall. I'll likely not go so far as to use LetsEncrypt with it though. Perhaps I'll try after the darn firewall is solved - PITA being double natted for sure!