lionceau

Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

luisv    1

I still need to have C-State disabled, but have been stable for the last 15 days, 11 hours, 8 mins.   Asus released another BIOS update for my motherboard and I'm looking to add another HD to my system.  Once I purchase the drive, hopefully before the weekend, the plan is to shut the system down, add the HD, update the BIOS, enable C-State and check to see if the system is stable with C-State enabled.  If not, I'll upgrade to rc8q and again, see if it's stable with C-State enabled, otherwise, I'll just leave C-State disabled until the next round of BIOS / unRAID updates are released.  

Tyranian    2
On 9/13/2017 at 0:19 PM, luisv said:

I still need to have C-State disabled, but have been stable for the last 15 days, 11 hours, 8 mins.   Asus released another BIOS update for my motherboard and I'm looking to add another HD to my system.  Once I purchase the drive, hopefully before the weekend, the plan is to shut the system down, add the HD, update the BIOS, enable C-State and check to see if the system is stable with C-State enabled.  If not, I'll upgrade to rc8q and again, see if it's stable with C-State enabled, otherwise, I'll just leave C-State disabled until the next round of BIOS / unRAID updates are released.  

When not using C state what error do you see? does the VM crash and then you cannot restart the VM due to a PCI error until rebooting unraid? if so that may be the issue I have just started to see on my VM when leaving on overnight.. Im already on rc8q and latest bios for my Aorus Gaming5.

Edited by Tyranian

luisv    1

When C-State is enabled, with or without running VMs, dockers, etc, the system appears to have the original Ryzen issue of going into a "sleep" state with no way of "waking" it up.  No display, no connection to the network, NIC LEDs slowly blink orange in unison as if the NIC is in some sort of power saving mode, zero response overall... only option is a hard shutdown via the power or reset button.  After I disable C-State, it's stable... 16 days, 14 hours and 17 mins as of right now.  Just an observation, but shortly after I upgraded to rc7a, the system appeared stable for a few days, so I added a dual port Intel NIC (setup as bonded 802.3ad) as well as applied the 0810 BIOS from Asus.  I have managed switches, so the ports are set to link aggregate.  Might be a coincidence, might be the NIC driver or possibly the 8010 BIOS... not sure as disabling C-State worked, so I left it alone. 

Tyranian    2

Then if it helps I'm stable in general other then the VM at the moment which has just started crashing after a day or so of usage now I've finished setting it up, I have C-state enabled and my suffers no other types of crashes then the VM one.

I'm using Ryzen 1600 & Gigabyte Gaming 5 Mobo with F8 bios.

There is now a AGESA 1.0.0.6b bios so may try that next.

Thejack59    0

I'm planning to build a Ryzen Unraid. I just have one question :

Do you have any return about ECC Ram ? 

John_M    14
7 hours ago, Thejack59 said:

I'm planning to build a Ryzen Unraid. I just have one question :

Do you have any return about ECC Ram ? 

ECC support is not disabled in Ryzen processors but AFAIK none of the AM4 motherboard manufacturers has implemented it yet. Some claim that ECC RAM can be used but without the ECC function, while others won't POST if ECC RAM is installed. Perhaps one of them will release a serious (i.e. non-gaming) board eventually. I'd like to see Supermicro step in but they are only supporting Epyc at the moment.

There's a little information here.