lionceau

Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

454 posts in this topic

I guess lime tech is well aware... :)

Edited by lionceau

Watch the entire video, there's other interesting stuff in there too. ;-) *wink wink, nudge nudge* Real opportunity coming I think. 

Edited by phbigred

On 5/19/2017 at 6:13 AM, Pauven said:

Awesome, another success story makes the hard work worth it.  I'm at 45 days up-time and counting.

A couple noteworthy items:

In an interview with Forbes, AMD confirmed that it is working to improve Ryzen DDR4 support, and has an AGESA update for May (probably the 1.0.0.6 already mentioned in this thread).  AMD also stressed on the need for motherboard manufacturers to improve their board designs in the future, with more PCB layers and better copper traces between the DIMM slots and the processor socket.

Is that AMD throwing shade?  Looks like AMD is starting to lay the blame on low memory speeds back on the manufacturers.  Pure speculation, but this might mean that our first gen Ryzen motherboards have design limitations holding back memory speeds, and that AMD is not going to waste too much time trying to improve memory support for poorly designed motherboards.

https://www.techpowerup.com/233476/amd-talks-improved-ryzen-memory-support-ryzen-3-and-game-optimization

Also, I see unRAID 6.3.4 landed a few days ago.  I looked at the release notes, but didn't see anything Ryzen related.  Also, the kernel only got upgraded to 4.9.28.  Very disappointing.

Anybody upgrade yet?  Any stability improvements?

-Paul

I've been checking every few days, but so far there's no new BIOS for the ASUS Prime X370-PRO motherboard.  Last update was on April 10th.

Otherwise, I was away for the weekend, but upgraded to unRAID 6.3.4 this morning.  So far, no problems.  Can't comment on stability, I'm leaving my Windows 10 VM because that was my original use case.  This effectively prevents me from testing stability without a VM running.  Again, the C-States setting doesn't appear to make a difference on this board, so it's currently at the default setting.

- Bill

On 5/14/2017 at 1:55 PM, mikeyosm said:

Can anyone confirm which x370 boards have their sensors detected in Unraid? I believe the asrock fatality pro works with the sensor plugin but the Asus prime does not. How about msi, gigabyte etc? Please list your board here if sensors work. Thanks

Okay, so I took another stab at this today.  For the record, my board is the ASUS Prime X370-PRO.

If I open a putty window and run "sensors-detect", here's what I get (skipping 'No" items):

Trying family `ITE'...                                      Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0x8665
    (logical device 4 has address 0x290, could be sensors)

Unfortunately, the ITE 0x8665 driver is not included in the unRAID 6.3.4 build ... however, this led me to this thread:

https://github.com/groeck/it87/issues/10

Following their instructions, I tried this command:

modprobe it87 force_id=0x8620

and then ran 'sensors', which now produced this output:

it8620-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:          +0.88 V  (min =  +2.22 V, max =  +2.42 V)
in1:          +2.74 V  (min =  +0.97 V, max =  +1.39 V)
in2:          +2.20 V  (min =  +2.06 V, max =  +1.81 V)
in3:          +2.18 V  (min =  +1.34 V, max =  +2.27 V)
in4:          +0.04 V  (min =  +1.57 V, max =  +0.49 V)
in5:          +0.04 V  (min =  +1.46 V, max =  +2.76 V)
in6:          +0.04 V  (min =  +2.11 V, max =  +0.16 V)
3VSB:         +3.60 V  (min =  +3.24 V, max =  +4.51 V)
Vbat:         +3.46 V
in11:         +0.41 V
Array Fan:   1053 RPM  (min =   11 RPM)
fan3:         795 RPM  (min =   40 RPM)
CPU Temp:     +44.0°C  (low  = -31.0°C, high = +78.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
MB Temp:      +32.0°C  (low  = +84.0°C, high = +13.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp3:        +34.0°C  (low  = -13.0°C, high = -14.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp4:        +34.0°C
temp6:        +34.0°C
intrusion0:  ALARM

Since we don't have the proper driver, we're using a 'compatible' driver, so the above information has some issues.  Notably the min/max values are incorrect ... however for my purposes, I am only interested in obtaining enough data to populate the Dynamix System Temperature plugin.  This works as follows:

sensors.png

To complete the setup, I added the command "modprobe it87 force_id=0x8620" to my 'go' file and rebooted.  The system loads the drivers at boot time, and the plugin now displays the CPU/MB temperature and the CPU fan speed on the status line.

Hopefully in unRAID 6.4, they'll include the necessary sensors packages to support the ITE 0x8665 chipset.

If someone has one of the other ASUS motherboards and find that this also works for you, let us know?

- Bill

PS:  I did not test this with an earlier version of unRAID, so I don't know if version 6.3.4 (or later) is required.  You may wish to upgrade prior to attempting this.

Edited by ufopinball