SSD or HDD for Cache Disks?

I'm introducing cache disk(s) into my system.  I have two identical 2.5in 250GB HDDs that I can use for free OR I can purchase two equivalent capacity SSDs for around $150-$200.

I'm not currently using any cache disks, so either choice will have positive results.  Considering I have a free alternative, is it worth spending $200 to go the SDD route?

It depends on what you will be using the cache for. Obviously, ssds are faster. If you are going to using VMS and docker containers then an SSD would be a much better option.

However if you are just using it to speed up writes to the array then the HDD would probably be fine.

I like the fact an SSD uses less power than a mechanical drive and the cache drive for me is the most used drive in my system. Also no moving parts.

Why not try you HDDs first and see how you go. Then if you require faster drives upgrade the cache drives then?

Thanks.  You're right, trying the HDDs makes the most sense since I already have them. I recently upgraded to V6 over the New Year so am just beginning to dip into virtual machines, cache disks, and dockers.  By the way, your preclear video was a big help when I did the upgrade.  Managed to clear my pending sector. :) I would like to eventually setup a Windows VM that serves as the family computer and maybe one or two test VMs that wouldn't run full time.  As far as dockers go, I haven't installed any yet.

What's the average cache disk size for people who use a few dockers and vms?

Thanks.  You're right, trying the HDDs makes the most sense since I already have them. I recently upgraded to V6 over the New Year so am just beginning to dip into virtual machines, cache disks, and dockers.  By the way, your preclear video was a big help when I did the upgrade.  Managed to clear my pending sector. I would like to eventually setup a Windows VM that serves as the family computer and maybe one or two test VMs that wouldn't run full time.  As far as dockers go, I haven't installed any yet.

What's the average cache disk size for people who use a few dockers and vms?

I run my 9 dockers and 6 VMs from a 250gb ssd and havent got any problems with diskspace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk