anyway to change the background colour?

korith

2 hours ago, kizer said:

Wow I have to admit this new Forum looks pretty darn good on my iPhone without using TapaTalk or any other app. 

Yeah, I couldn't agree more.  They have a really solid responsive design that works great regardless of the form factor of the device you're using.

3 hours ago, jonp said:

regardless of the form factor of the device you're using

Speaking of form factors ...  there are choices for desktop and 2 narrower widths, any chance for a wider desktop?  The current display seems somewhat narrower than before, with large blank areas on both sides, more scrolling therefore.  I'd like to see a choice for about 40% to 60% wider, so there would be less vertical scrolling.  (The line spacing adjustment helped with that, thank you!)

Speaking of vertical scrolling, is there any chance we could have an option to display the avatars at half size?  And if there is no avatar set, leave it blank, and raise whatever's underneath (seems a waste of vertical space now)?

And speaking of the large blank areas, on my left browser edge is an arrow labeled "Manage Blocks", with some very interesting choices I would have liked to try.  I would have tried them, but they sound like they would apply to ALL users' displays, not just mine.  So perhaps it's an admin thing I shouldn't be seeing?

3 hours ago, RobJ said:

Speaking of form factors ...  there are choices for desktop and 2 narrower widths, any chance for a wider desktop?  The current display seems somewhat narrower than before, with large blank areas on both sides, more scrolling therefore.  I'd like to see a choice for about 40% to 60% wider, so there would be less vertical scrolling.  (The line spacing adjustment helped with that, thank you!)

I'll look into it, but don't get your hopes up too much ;-).

3 hours ago, RobJ said:

Speaking of vertical scrolling, is there any chance we could have an option to display the avatars at half size?  And if there is no avatar set, leave it blank, and raise whatever's underneath (seems a waste of vertical space now)?

I don't see any option for that yet, but I'll keep looking.

3 hours ago, RobJ said:

And speaking of the large blank areas, on my left browser edge is an arrow labeled "Manage Blocks", with some very interesting choices I would have liked to try.  I would have tried them, but they sound like they would apply to ALL users' displays, not just mine.  So perhaps it's an admin thing I shouldn't be seeing?

That is definitely an admin function that somehow got applied to mods as well.  Please don't touch ;-)

9 hours ago, jonp said:

I'll look into it, but don't get your hopes up too much ;-).

I don't see any option for that yet, but I'll keep looking.

That is definitely an admin function that somehow got applied to mods as well.  Please don't touch ;-)

Depending on the theme you are using some of these items are "additional features" provided by the theme (e.g. adjustable content width). The other stuff you can edit (somewhat) by adding overriding CSS to custom.css in the theme editor. The block editor that the Mods are seeing are a permissions issue :)

2 hours ago, Pinozul said:

+1 for theme allowing more compact, denser display of content

Smart alec talking here, but for now just hold the control key down and tap the minus key a couple times. I think the forum is optimized for ultra high dpi screens, and shrinking it down a bit works great for me, other than the width shrinking as well.

• 2 weeks later...

WAY too much whitespace... not just the fact the background is BLINDINGLY white, but the line spacing and padding around objects is HUGE, requiring way too much scrolling and taking up way too much wasted screen real estate.

Can we turn off avatars... they are annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I take it there has been no movement on a darker theme?  I find myself spending less time on the forum (not that that is a bad thing :)) because the white is just too bright and makes it harder for me to read posts.  I have the unRAID GUI set to the dark theme as well.  The third-party theme suggested earlier in this thread by BetaQuasi seems to be a good one.  Is that something that an individual user has to pay for ($30) in order to use or can it be implemented as a forum option?

• 2 weeks later...