Upgrading a Dell Poweredge T20

progrock

So, I've had a DEll PowerEdge T20 sitting around for about 6 months since I bought it on a very good sale from dell.  It's got  Xeon E3-1225 v3 Quad core in it.  I've already replaced the power supply with a Corsair CS550M, added 4gb of ECC RAM (so it's at 8gb right now), and have a 750gb SSD, the 1 TB drive it came with, and a pair of 2tb WD drives I got at a very low price from frys. Sadly it only has 4 SATA ports, and basically 4 3.5" bays, one of which is holding my 2.5" SSD (though has space for a second).

Anyway, I've finally decided to turn this thing into a dedicated NAS (and ideally a Plex media server, and maybe some other stuff, ie sickbeard).  I was also considering upgrading the RAM, either getting an extra 16gb (2 x 8gb) or possibly just going all out and getting 4 x 8gb to max out the board... as well as getting some more HDs.

So, I was thinking about gutting the current stock case and putting everything into a Fractal Design Node 804.  And to handle the extra HDs, I figured something like a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 would make sense (I haven't done extensive research yet, but it seems like it's either something in the $100+ range like that card... or just some total garbage card that would likely be more of a waste of money in the long run (I'll spend the extra $50 for stability)....

BUT... then I realized, instead of getting the extra SAS controller... what if I just replaced the stock mother board with a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O, and moved my CPU, PSU, and HDs over... and grabbed the same case and some  ECC RAM for the board.  Besides the integrated LSI 2308 SAS controller, I would be getting IPMI 2.0... which I think may be well worth the upgrade.  The only weird part si, my current board I believe is an Intel C226, while this is a C222.... but based on my use case for the system, I don't think that matters.

Anyway, what do you guys think?.. does this make sense?  One thing to note is, if I was to jsut build a system from scratch, and NOR reuse the parts from the Dell T20... I would literally have to throw out the T20, my apartment just doesn't have the space to waste with a machine like that doing absolutely nothing.  Also, I don't mind spending a little money for peace of mind... assuming what I am planning does indeed make sense.

I'm open to other recommendations, if they are along the same lines (as in not $500 more expensive... tho if it makes sense to spend $100-200 more, then I don't mind).  Also, if I'm just totally wrong, and should get a expansion card instead, LMK... BUT I'm thinking the SuperMicro board is likely much better quality than the stock dells.. and again between the SAS controller and the IPMI, I'm very tempted.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

OK, so after a little more research, I decided to go halfway with my planned upgrade (but in a direction where I could complete the upgrade anytime if I find it necessary).

I ended up grabbing a Dell H310 Perc SAS controller ($40 shipped on ebay) to allow more than the 6 HDs my current motherboard supports.  I plan to have 8 3.5" HDs, and 1 (possibly 2) 2.5" SSD drives.  Does it make sense to attach all 8 3.5" Storage drives to the H310, or should I split them between my motherboard and the card?

The ECC memory (CT2KIT102472BD160B) that I was gonna purchase for the Supermicro motherboard had dropped from $125 for 2 x 8gb down to $109 over the weekend (now up to $119 on newegg).  Since the price had dropped, and the memory should work fine on my current Dell Poweredge T20 stock motherboard... and if I do decided to upgrade to the supermicro, I know it's the recommended RAM for that) I ended up biting the bullet and grabbing all 32gb that my board supports.

I also ended up grabbing a pair of 3tb WD NAS HDs from Frys the other day (they were on sale for $93)... might stop by there today, fi they are still that cheap might grab another 2.

I'm about to order the upgraded case I want, the Fractal Design 804 (though gonna do just a few more minutes of research to confirm it's the case I want to go with, but about 95% sure it is).  I'm also considering upgrading the Power Supply... I have the Corsair CS550M, but I hear that's a pretty low quality PSU from Corsair, and since I'm planning to power 8+ HDs on this system, and don't want to have any issues stemming from a cheap PSU, I am debating on ordering one with my case.  I've had very good luck with SeaSonic in the past, though always open to recommendations.  Definitely want something very quiet and very stable.

And lastly, also considering upgrading my CPU cooler form the stock dell one. Was gonna grab a Noctua NH-D9L, for something simple, inexpensive and quiet ($53 on newegg).  But also considering getting an AIO water cooling setup (seems like the popular corsair ones go for $60-100)... tho I don't know if there will be much purpose.  I jsut want something that's gonna be silent and do the job... and I have a feeling the Noctua one will be more than enough.  BUT, I a still tempted.. mainly because the Node 804 case has pretty much the perfect space for a 240mm setup or smaller.  Definitely very open to suggestions here, considering I haven't done much research here.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.  With the Dell H310 Perc I grabbed for $40, it seems like the Supermicro board may not be necessary anymore... BUT, I bought the memory that is supported by them incase I change my mind (and I suppose with the Dell H310, I technically could get a different Supermicro Motherboard... no longer needing the onboard LSI controller technically).  Right now I'm primarily debating between what CPU cooler, and whether or not to grab a PSU or not (definitely leaning towards grabbing a better one, don't need my PUS damaging my other components).... and pretty sure I'll be grabbing the Node 804, but gonna look around just a little more before I order.

Oh I forgot to mention, I currently have a Radeon FirePro W4100 in the system.  Will this be of any use what so ever with unraid?.... I don't plan on having it hooked up directly to a monitor (tho in the future it's possible)... but I do have a Steam link that could be used to mirror the desktop on my TV.  Had bought the card with plans to use it for Autodesk Fusion 360.... but have never used it on this computer ever... always just ran it on my Macbook Pro my work gave to me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2017 at 8:32 AM, progrock said:

So, I've had a DEll PowerEdge T20 sitting around for about 6 months since I bought it on a very good sale from dell.  It's got  Xeon E3-1225 v3 Quad core in it.  I've already replaced the power supply with a Corsair CS550M, added 4gb of ECC RAM (so it's at 8gb right now), and have a 750gb SSD, the 1 TB drive it came with, and a pair of 2tb WD drives I got at a very low price from frys. Sadly it only has 4 SATA ports, and basically 4 3.5" bays, one of which is holding my 2.5" SSD (though has space for a second).

Hello.

To install the new power supply unit (CS Series™ Modular CS550M – PSU de 550 watts com certificação 80 PLUS® Gold), did you have to change something in the stock case?

Can you put a photo on it?

Thanks.

Edited by Arquitecto
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a PowerEdge T20 myself with a Xeon E3-1225 I want to do some Bench Testing first before I do anything, but I'm considering gutting the case just to swap out the Motherboard and Processor into my current build. I already have a AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 so I wonder how easy of a transition its going to be. I figure pick up 4more GB of RAM and whatever other odds an ends to make it all work. 

On 3/12/2017 at 7:29 AM, Arquitecto said:

Arquitecto, I searched on line and found the correct atx to dell power cable converters premade for dirt cheap from china (wasn't sure if it was gonna work it was so cheap, but has been perfect.. and much less of a pain in the ass than doing it yourself... which is also an option of course)... but it was something like $3 shipped and came within 2 weeks, so not too bad.  I'll try to take a photo tomorrow for you.

On 3/12/2017 at 7:29 AM, Arquitecto said:

Hello.

To install the new power supply unit (CS Series™ Modular CS550M – PSU de 550 watts com certificação 80 PLUS® Gold), did you have to change something in the stock case?

Can you put a photo on it?

Thanks.

Kizer, I'm very happy with the upgrade... the computer went from something I never used to my main file server... and pretty damn cheaply for what I ended up with.  Upgrading the case was huge, very happy with the Node 804.  BUT there are quite a few non standard things dell does.  The most obvious being their power supply cable to the motherboard (def not a standard 20/24 pin atx.. I think it was 8 pins but would have to double check.. but as mentioned above you can get a premade conversion cable for dirt cheap from china.  But there was a few more surprises... I had bought a Noctua CPU cooler to get better and quieter cooling.... BUT dell's motherboards have a rear plate over the CPU spot where any standard CPU cooler that requires a custom bracket back there just won't work.  I have yet to research finding one that would.  Second, after moving to the new case.... on startup initially I believe I had 5 errors that halted startup, and required pressing F1 to move on to normal boot.... not the worst thing, but still annoying, especially when you don't have a dedicated monitor for the server.  I got rid of 3 of the errors, by pulling parts out from the dell case (the case intrusion sensor being one, which i taped closed and left hanging off where it connet to the motherboard.... I also had to take the internal temp sensoe from the dell, again easy enough.... and then I ripped apart the front of the case to cut the front usb/audio headers to stop that error.  I am down to nothaving a 4 pin I believe dell specific fan connected to the motherboard (case fan), and my power switch wiring throws the final error (but can be fixed by bridging to pins, which I will be doing soon enough).

Anyway, the most important thing I found, which took over a week of googling to find was this post: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/dell-poweredge-t20-mini-tower-server-owner-thread.18707248/page-9

In the end I am VERRY happy with the server... and the price...especially with the dell H310 perc flashed cards (I bought 2, one for backup) for $30 each... flashing them took a bit of trial and error with the dell computer.. but I managed to get it done.

On 3/22/2017 at 11:25 AM, kizer said:

I just purchased a PowerEdge T20 myself with a Xeon E3-1225 I want to do some Bench Testing first before I do anything, but I'm considering gutting the case just to swap out the Motherboard and Processor into my current build. I already have a AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 so I wonder how easy of a transition its going to be. I figure pick up 4more GB of RAM and whatever other odds an ends to make it all work. 

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...
On 3/25/2017 at 5:51 AM, progrock said:

I had bought a Noctua CPU cooler to get better and quieter cooling.... BUT dell's motherboards have a rear plate over the CPU spot where any standard CPU cooler that requires a custom bracket back there just won't work.  I have yet to research finding one that would.

hi,

did you find any working solution? I'm struggling with same issue...

• 7 months later...