VNC Remote - Laggy, Slow and drops w/ 6.3

The builtin VNC Remote feature used to work well (speedy/performant) and at some point that changed.  I *think* it was with updates to Unraid v6.2 or 6.3 - but maybe not.  Is anybody else having issues (it becomes supper laggy and then just freezes the screen and doesn't respond to inputs)?

Remote Desktop works totally fine, and the VM didn't change (Win10). 

Related to this, I find I need to use VNC instead of RDP because of video driver issues.  I'm mostly trying to configure the VM to support Game emulation (via Steam Link), and RDP gives me DirectX/3d errors and VNC does not.  If anybody could enlighten me on this, maybe I could just use RDP...

Yes, that was it.  Thank you.  I am on a Mac, and using UltraVNC seems great.  Not sure I like the client, so I'll look at others.

I wanted to use the built in OS X "Screen Sharing" App, but couldn't get that to connect.  I'm thinking it may be port issues or something, so I'll keep trying at that.

Im experiencing this problem too with NoVNC. Its extremely laggy after the first couple of movements.  When i was on 6.2.4 it worked fine, but as of 6.3.1 (and now 6.3.2) it seems to have become non-functional.

Thank you jonathnm for pointing out that we can just use any other vnc viewer to get in. It never crossed my mind that i can do that.

On 2/18/2017 at 5:26 AM, Tomahawk51 said:

The builtin VNC Remote feature used to work well (speedy/performant) and at some point that changed.  I *think* it was with updates to Unraid v6.2 or 6.3 - but maybe not.  Is anybody else having issues (it becomes supper laggy and then just freezes the screen and doesn't respond to inputs)?

I'm having these very issues. It's really been causing me issues with the servers I have.

On 2/18/2017 at 6:26 AM, Tomahawk51 said:

Yes, this is a known issue.  We had hoped it would be fixed in 6.3.0 as we updated all the noVNC components to latest rev but we're still seeing the performance degradation.  It's not to the point of completely unusable for basic administration, but if you're trying to use it like a virtual desktop, then a local VNC client would be best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/2/2017 at 7:05 PM, Tomahawk51 said:

Yes, that was it.  Thank you.  I am on a Mac, and using UltraVNC seems great.  Not sure I like the client, so I'll look at others.

I wanted to use the built in OS X "Screen Sharing" App, but couldn't get that to connect.  I'm thinking it may be port issues or something, so I'll keep trying at that.

Take a look here to change the OSX port by default.

It's in spanish but I think that you will get the idea in the video.

If you don't undertand something put it here and will try to help.

Gus

• 1 month later...
On 18/02/2017 at 3:18 PM, jonathanm said:

It's not the VNC interface to the VM that is the issue, it's the web client (NoVNC). VNC works fine with pretty much any other client. Remmina is good if you are using a linux flavor on your local desktop, ultraVNC viewer works well on windows based desktops. The VM OS doesn't matter.

Good to know. It's really impossible to use NoVNC on 6.3v (even for admin purposes).

I'll use remmina from now on.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Good day @jonp

On 2/21/2017 at 7:24 PM, jonp said:

Yes, this is a known issue.  We had hoped it would be fixed in 6.3.0 as we updated all the noVNC components to latest rev but we're still seeing the performance degradation.  It's not to the point of completely unusable for basic administration, but if you're trying to use it like a virtual desktop, then a local VNC client would be best.

any hope that 6.4 is going to have the built in VNC performance issues mitigated? 

Thanks!