unRAID OS version 6.3.2 Stable Release Available

limetech

I can't seem to start my Vm's. I did an update to 6.3 and all subsequent updates there after, currently on 6.3.2, and have yet to successfully get my VM's to start. I keep getting a "Permission Denied" error on both my previously running VMs and whenever I create a new VM.

Directory permissions are 0777 with nobody:users ownership and the vdisk is 0777 with root:root. I have tried changing the permissions around to see if that has any affect, but no luck.

I've attached screenshots of the errors I get when powering on, diagnostics report, and also supplied link to log files for libvirt.

Thanks for any help!

http://pastebin.com/u/aklein84

Disks are being told to spin down but don't do it, only when the "spin down" button is used do they do it.

Has happened in all 6.3.x releases but not 6.2.4

Are you absolutely positive the disks are still physically spinning? I suspect there is a disconnect between the display and reality. Can you hear the drives spinning?

Im thinking the disks are actually spun up, given they are reporting their temps etc

Other than physically inspecting the drives, is there any other way to confirm?

Otherwise I'll inspect the drives physically tonight, but based on UPS draw I'd say they're spinning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYR. The log only show spindown by system and won't show spinup by system, so the log just mean disks have spindown.

Last time got spindown issue was 6.2 beta18 and no problem after.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47626.msg456399#msg456399

These is also the fact that the GUI can lag the true physical state of the drives by a significant amount when the disks spin down because of time rather than explicit user action (I believe the delay is affected by the Settings->Disk Settings->Tunable (poll_attributes) value).  This delay is not there when a manual timeout is done.

At a terminal command prompt, use the following command to obtain the actual spin state of the drive:

hdparm -C /dev/sdX  (replace sdX with the correct drive symbol from the Main screen)

If it returns "active/idle", then it's spinning.

If it returns "standby", then it's spun down.

I'm sure someone has a little script that reports the spin states for all attached drives.

As I noted earlier, I upgraded two of my servers to 6.3.2 with no issues.

This upgrade DID, however, add even more time to parity checks.    I know it's irrelevant, but it's nevertheless a bit frustrating to see these times keep getting longer.  The system shown below is a dual core Pentium E6300 -- an older setup (one of the main UnRAID servers sold by Limetech several years ago) with a PassMark of 1761.  It does NOT show 100% utilization during the checks (although it tends to stay at 50% or a bit over) ... but this used to take under 12 hours (v5), then grew to a very consistent 13:19 with v6.1;  then 13:58 with 6.3.1, and now takes 14:10 with 6.3.2.  All of these times are with NO GUI active during the checks -- I start the check; let it run overnight; and then look at the GUI the next day to see how long they took.

Just curious if those with higher-powered systems are seeing this same increase in times (I suspect not -- it's probably just due to the older CPU and/or only 2 cores).

UnRAID Parity Check w6.3.2 19 Feb.jpg

This upgraded DID, however, add even more time to parity checks.    I know it's irrelevant, but it's nevertheless a bit frustrating to see these times keep getting longer.  The system shown below is a dual core Pentium E6300 -- an older setup (one of the main UnRAID servers sold by Limetech several years ago) with a PassMark of 1761.  It does NOT show 100% utilization during the checks (although it tends to stay at 50% or a bit over) ... but this used to take under 12 hours (v5), then grew to a very consistent 13:19 with v6.1;  then 13:58 with 6.3.1, and now takes 14:10 with 6.3.2.  All of these times are with NO GUI active during the checks -- I start the check; let it run overnight; and then look at the GUI the next day to see how long they took.

Just curious if those with higher-powered systems are seeing this same increase in times (I suspect not -- it's probably just due to the older CPU and/or only 2 cores).

Single or Dual parity?  I will run checks on both of mine tonight and report tomorrow morning.

This upgraded DID, however, add even more time to parity checks.    I know it's irrelevant, but it's nevertheless a bit frustrating to see these times keep getting longer.  The system shown below is a dual core Pentium E6300 -- an older setup (one of the main UnRAID servers sold by Limetech several years ago) with a PassMark of 1761.  It does NOT show 100% utilization during the checks (although it tends to stay at 50% or a bit over) ... but this used to take under 12 hours (v5), then grew to a very consistent 13:19 with v6.1;  then 13:58 with 6.3.1, and now takes 14:10 with 6.3.2.  All of these times are with NO GUI active during the checks -- I start the check; let it run overnight; and then look at the GUI the next day to see how long they took.

My last parity check was with version 6.3.1 four days ago.  It was 4 minutes faster than parity checks run with 6.2.4.

I have always seen very consistent parity check times on all versions of unRAID 6.x.x.  I have been through three CPUs (two 4-core i5s and the current Xeon 4-core/8-thread CPU) and three different motherboards in that time.  Parity checks have always been within 2-3 mintues of the prior time.  This is the biggest variation I have seen in a while and it is 4 minutes faster.

I have yet to run a parity check with 6.3.2.

At a terminal command prompt, use the following command to obtain the actual spin state of the drive:

hdparm -C /dev/sdX  (replace sdX with the correct drive symbol from the Main screen)

If it returns "active/idle", then it's spinning.

If it returns "standby", then it's spun down.

I'm sure someone has a little script that reports the spin states for all attached drives.

Thanks for that RobJ,

Unfortunately all the drives are reporting as active/idle when this is occuring.

I have tried using ionotifywait -mr on /mnt/user/ and get nothing back except for sickrage touching its DB which is on the cache drive only.

Ideas?

On 2/19/2017 at 6:45 PM, Frank1940 said:

On 2/19/2017 at 6:35 PM, garycase said:

On 2/19/2017 at 6:45 PM, Frank1940 said:

Single or Dual parity?  I will run checks on both of mine tonight and report tomorrow morning.

Here are the results of my two servers.  Spec's for both are listed below:  (Since this is the new BBS software, I am not quite sure how it will look.  So I apologize if there is an issue. I sure so miss the preview feature of the old software...)

TestBedServer-Dual Parity.JPG

MediaServer-Single Parity.JPG

Top Screen shot is for the Dual Parity Test-Bed Server.  Bottom screen shot is for the Single Parity Media Server.  (New software hides the descriptive file name!)

Edited by Frank1940
On 19.2.2017 at 7:48 PM, limetech said:

We've been monitoring the kernel change logs for mention of this, but nothing has appeared yet.  Have you seen anywhere someone has posted a patch?

@limetech I have scouted some of the bugtrackers that mention this issue. This seams to be the main one: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=191891
another usb device: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=853894
about an audio adapter: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=852749
another (older) one here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109521
same problem with a usb LAN controller: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=852556

I found the following two patches:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9534751/
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=852749 (this is the one about the audio adapter though)

I hope this helps :)

• Upvote 2

hi everyone.

Since the update to 6.3.2, i can't access my shares anymore from any device on my network.

- windows 10 can't access the shares

- android phone

- linux box

telnet from my windows 10 work perfectly and i can navigate to the unraid dashboard with my browser. I had this problem with the 6.2.x branchs too and the last version that is working without any problems for me is 6.1.9.

Any idea?

tower-diagnostics-20170221-2041.zip

1 minute ago, skoub said:

hi everyone.

Since the update to 6.3.2, i can't access my shares anymore from any device on my network.

- android phone

- linux box

telnet from my windows 10 work perfectly and i can navigate to the unraid dashboard with my browser. I had this problem with the 6.2.x branchs too and the last version that is working without any problems for me is 6.1.9.

Any idea?

Have you tried browsing by IP?  If IP works but hostname does not for accessing shares, let us know.

9 minutes ago, jonp said:

Have you tried browsing by IP?  If IP works but hostname does not for accessing shares, let us know.

tried to browser by IP and hostname without success. I rebooted my computer just to be sure before doing the test.

Edited by skoub
1 hour ago, skoub said:

hi everyone.

- android phone

- linux box

Any idea?

Nothing in your logs stands out.  Can you access the webGui for the server in a browser (http://hostname or http://ipaddress)?  I don't believe anyone else has reported this issue either.  So are you stating that on 6.1.9, everything works, then if you upgrade the server to any newer version (6.2.x or 6.3.x), SMB access stops working, and if you drop back down to 6.1.9 everything comes back again?