File Activity Plugin - How can I figure out what keeps spinning up my disks?

dlandon

6 hours ago, dlandon said:

Inotify is built in to Unraid.  What are you having trouble with?

ok inotify is running, i tried this:

root@Tower:~# inotifywait -m -r -q -e open,attrib,move,create,delete --excludei appdata/...
No files specified to watch!

but you're plugin still not working (see attachments):

no logging1.JPG

no logging2.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 3:40 PM, dlandon said:

The syslog server works with the syslog.  I don't know any way to add the file activity log to that.

Agreed, Basically what I did is more of a kludge, and I'm sure this is a bad way to address this, but here's what I did:

create shell to

cp "/var/log/file.activity.log" to my log dest  "/mnt/user/logs/fileactivity$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).log"  then rm "/var/log/file.activity.log"

then - created job in user scripts and scheduled

its not going into the syslog itself, just using the same location.

[Yeah, its a mess,  lots of issues with my approach, not recommending it, was a stop gap for me]

Edited by schreibman
oops
11 minutes ago, schreibman said:

Agreed, Basically what I did is more of a kludge, and I'm sure this is a bad way to address this, but here's what I did:

create shell to

cp "/var/log/file.activity.log" to my log dest  "/mnt/user/logs/fileactivity$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).log"  then rm "/var/log/file.activity.log"

then - created job in user scripts and scheduled

its not going into the syslog itself, just using the same location.

[Yeah, its a mess,  lots of issues with my approach, not recommending it, was a stop gap for me]

there is a (worse?) way to do this and have it in syslog: but I can only image this is an even more horrible solution as your unraid syslog now will have all file activity:

logger -n ${SYSLOG_SERVER} -P 514 -t unraid-file-activity < "/var/log/file.activity.log"

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to reduce the time scale for each disk that is listed in the plugin?  When I go to the disk listing to see what's causing a disk to spin up, i have to scroll through disk activity from up to 24h ago.  I only want to see activity in the last hour or so.  Can I specify this?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Andiroo2 said:

Is there a way to reduce the time scale for each disk that is listed in the plugin?  When I go to the disk listing to see what's causing a disk to spin up, i have to scroll through disk activity from up to 24h ago.  I only want to see activity in the last hour or so.  Can I specify this?  Thanks!

You can't specify how much is displayed in the log, but I have a few ideas.  Let me see what I can come up with.

On 11/11/2023 at 7:02 PM, Andiroo2 said:

I've added a parameter in the settings that controls the number of events displayed so you don't have to scroll through so much data to find what you want.  It displays the last 'X' number of file events for each disk or share.  Update to the latest version to try it out.

42 minutes ago, dopeytree said:

Don't think they'll be much use as couldn't run diagnostics during crashing.

This is post delete.

If no one else comments though maybe it is something else.

moulin-rouge-diagnostics-20231113-1722.zip 209.12 kB · 0 downloads

Nothing in File Activity was done to cause what you are describing.  The latest reease just changed the way the file events are displayed.  Install the file activity plugin again and leave it disabled and see what happens.

You have issues in your log that may be contributint to your issue:

Nov 13 15:40:02 Moulin-rouge nginx: 2023/11/13 15:40:02 [error] 15484#15484: *11 limiting requests, excess: 20.907 by zone "authlimit", client: 192.168.22.105, server: , request: "GET /login HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.22.2"
Nov 13 15:40:02 Moulin-rouge nginx: 2023/11/13 15:40:02 [error] 15484#15484: *9 limiting requests, excess: 20.904 by zone "authlimit", client: 192.168.22.105, server: , request: "GET /login HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.22.2"
Nov 13 15:40:03 Moulin-rouge nginx: 2023/11/13 15:40:03 [error] 15484#15484: *9 limiting requests, excess: 20.327 by zone "authlimit", client: 192.168.22.105, server: , request: "GET /login HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.22.2"
Nov 13 15:40:03 Moulin-rouge nginx: 2023/11/13 15:40:03 [error] 15484#15484: *12 limiting requests, excess: 20.326 by zone "authlimit", client: 192.168.22.105, server: , request: "GET /login HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.22.2"
Nov 13 15:40:03 Moulin-rouge nginx: 2023/11/13 15:40:03 [error] 15484#15484: *9 limiting requests, excess: 20.323 by zone "authlimit", client: 192.168.22.105, server: , request: "GET /login HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.22.2"

This is happening about 2 minutes after a boot.  Close any open browser sessions to your Unraid server.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, dlandon said:

I've added a parameter in the settings that controls the number of events displayed so you don't have to scroll through so much data to find what you want.  It displays the last 'X' number of file events for each disk or share.  Update to the latest version to try it out.

This is so great.  Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for adding that event limiter!

Definitely makes it so much easier.

I was checking my file activity and it kept telling me Disk 1 was opening a file (an icon used by FolderView I set). 

However, when I check the Dashboard, Disk 1 was asleep/spundown.

It definitely was spun down because when I checked the disk itself, sure enough that's where the file is stored.

When I loaded previews for all images in the same folder using Krusader, sure enough all of them showed up in File Activity > Disk Activity > Disk 1.

So long story short, File Activity showed the image was being opened, but the drive wasn't actually being spun up.

Oh by the way, the thing that triggered its entry in File Activity was me going to the Docker tab (which has FolderView folders set up), waiting a few seconds for it to load, and then going back to File Activity and refreshing.

Just thought you should know!

10 hours ago, DevanteWeary said:

I was checking my file activity and it kept telling me Disk 1 was opening a file (an icon used by FolderView I set). 

However, when I check the Dashboard, Disk 1 was asleep/spundown.

I think that this can happen if Linux has the information it needs cached in RAM so it does not need to access the physical drive.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the plugin, it is great :)

1. Is it possible to show current files activity on the dashboard?

2. I have checked "Enable for Cache and Pool Disks?" but still can't see my cache drive in the tabs (I have appdata docker there so in theory it should be always in activitiy list when docker is running but it is not, only my array disks)

12 hours ago, maTTi said:

Thanks for the plugin, it is great :)

1. Is it possible to show current files activity on the dashboard?

2. I have checked "Enable for Cache and Pool Disks?" but still can't see my cache drive in the tabs (I have appdata docker there so in theory it should be always in activitiy list when docker is running but it is not, only my array disks)

1. Probably not because I don'rt think there is enough room to fit it in.

2. The appdata, syslog, and system shares are excluded from file activity and won't show any activity.