CPU will not throttle down

ent44

So I ran Common problems plugin (lovely plugin) and it gave me this error, I've seen some other people have it but every problem seems different. Would love some help, here is my system info

Model: Dell R710

M/B: Cisco Systems Inc. - 0YMXG9

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU L5630 @ 2.13GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 128 kB

Memory: 64 GB (max. installable capacity 288 GB)

Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500

eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

eth1: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

eth2: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

eth3: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.9.7-unRAID x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.0.2j

Uptime: 1 day, 17:25:17

Close

CPU possibly will not throttle down frequency at idle Your CPU is running constantly at 100% and will not throttle down when it's idle (to save heat / power). This is because there is currently no CPU Scaling Driver Installed. Seek assistance on the unRaid forums with this issue

No. It's something about your CPU and Linux, I suppose. For example, the same version of Linux has no problem scaling the clocks of other models of CPU. Perhaps there's a hardware fault in that particular model that hasn't been worked round. The result is that it runs at full speed all the time. It doesn't much matter and there's not much chance of it being fixed as that particular model is End of Life according to the ARK so there's no point in worrying about it.

does the r710 have any secondary power management? on hp products, it is iLo. I ask because there are power management settings in there that could be set to performance vs something less energy consuming even if there is no cpu scaling driver installed. also your bios may have similar settings....

It worked!!!

I've updated the firmware (twice!) and god... my versions were outdated... I think this didn't solve the problem with the firmware but it helped (http://i.imgur.com/mgdvLxA.jpg)

Now thanks to user 1812 (thanks lad) I remembered I set my power management to max performance (I don't know why) but when I changed it from "max performance" to "os controlled" my CPU is idle-ing down. My server went from 150W idle to 120W idle, great improvement IMO. I made a shitty photo of my screen so people can find this option, if you boot up the server > press f2 > power management > "os controlled" (http://i.imgur.com/N8SGbzZ.jpg).

And I regret I didn't get an enterprise iDrac for my server because I had to sit in the shed for 2 hours and it's snowing outside...

Really grateful you guys helped me out :^)

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...