Preclear plugin

Polite bump for (it wont let me quote a quote... silly forum :):

tl;dr

Even when 100% successfully complete, a preclear run done via the unassigned devices addon only ever has the "cancel" option. Expected behavior would be that cancel state is removed when complete and drive status image changes to pre-cleared.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but what I saw was different. Before starting over, I clicked start preclear, saw the word starting with a red x, but it never moved beyond that. After usb reformat, it began to show status and progress with the red x

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Correct. I'm seeing the same symptoms. Click preclear (from plugin's page or from unassigned drives area), choose preclear options, and start it. "Starting" shows up with a red X, but it never proceeds. Nothing in the preclear log either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
54 minutes ago, ClunkClunk said:

Correct. I'm seeing the same symptoms. Click preclear (from plugin's page or from unassigned drives area), choose preclear options, and start it. "Starting" shows up with a red X, but it never proceeds. Nothing in the preclear log either.

I had a little more time to troubleshoot, but so far no success. I shut down, pulled the USB and did a chkdsk from a Windows box. No issues found. I shut down my docker containers, removed a number of plugins that weren't 100% necessary for me. I also took out one of the two drives I'm trying to preclear, just in case there was something weird about two being in there. No change.

I'm out of time this morning, but this evening I may try disabling all my plugins aside from the preclear one.

Is there a way to run the preclear script from the preclear plugin in the console? It might also help to see if it's encountering a problem with preclear itself, or if it's hitting a roadblock somewhere in the plugin before preclear is launched.

Have you tried the script and this plugin?  When I was having problems with this plugin's native mode I switched to using the script with this plugin and my problems went away.  It still works with the script as far as I know anyway.  I haven't had to preclear a disk in a while so things could have changed.

I should add I did have to patch the script to work with 6.2+ but after that this plugin worked without problems for me.

Edited by BobPhoenix
45 minutes ago, BobPhoenix said:

Have you tried the script and this plugin?  When I was having problems with this plugin's native mode I switched to using the script with this plugin and my problems went away.  It still works with the script as far as I know anyway.  I haven't had to preclear a disk in a while so things could have changed.

I dropped the two modified scripts from the first post in to /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk, rebooted, and they're not showing up. Just the default gfjardim one.

Poking around a bit, I figured out if I execute /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh I can use preclear manually that way, and it'll work. Not sure what roadblock the plugin is running in to though.

10 minutes ago, ClunkClunk said:

I dropped the two modified scripts from the first post in to /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk, rebooted, and they're not showing up. Just the default gfjardim one.

Poking around a bit, I figured out if I execute /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh I can use preclear manually that way, and it'll work. Not sure what roadblock the plugin is running in to though.

I just use the fast bjp999 preclear script dropped into the ".../flash/config/plugins/preclear.disk" directory as preclear_disk.sh and the file readvz in the root of the flash.  Then in the plugin I switch to the listing for bjp999 for which to use.  Specifically: switch from gfjardim 0.8.9 beta to bjp929 1.15b.

Edited by BobPhoenix
I just use the fast bjp999 preclear script dropped into the ".../flash/config/plugins/preclear.disk" directory as preclear_disk.sh and the file readvz in the root of the flash.  Then in the plugin I switch to the listing for bjp999 for which to use.  Specifically: switch from gfjardim 0.8.9 beta to bjp929 1.15b.
Dumb question: how do you move files to the root usb while the server is running? Been searching, but apparently not with my good brain.

1 minute ago, btrcp2000 said:

Dumb question: how do you move files to the root usb while the server is running? Been searching, but apparently not with my good brain.

I just share my flash drive and move via smb. You can do it from cli as well though.

14 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I just share my flash drive and move via smb. You can do it from cli as well though.

That's how I do it too.  I go into setting and turn the flash drive share to enabled and then copy to and from my flash drive.  That is how I backup my flash drive. NOTE this is not the recommended way because the super.dat file will indicate an unclean shutdown if I were to restore from a backup.  Unless you stop the array before backing up from the flash share anyway.

Edited by BobPhoenix
20 hours ago, btrcp2000 said:

ok. so i get the same result if i share and then just copy/paste to tower from another windows machine?

That is the idea yes.  Just make sure you export it so that it is visible on the network.  I also have mine public but that is only because my servers have no users defined (one has a user for native FTP access but that is it).  Once you have the flash exported you should see it in explorer and you can copy files from/to it like any other share.

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of trying to preclear two new HGST 4TB drives and can confirm the same issues.  Since I am also in the process of upgrading my main system from v5.06 to v6.3.5, I decided to try out the new plugin system for unRAID 6 using a "trial" version that is running on a different server.  The system boots just fine, recognizes the hard drives, and the plugin appears to have installed correctly.  I have not added the drives to the array and was attempting to preclear both at the same time and later individually.

When I attempt a preclear with the default gfjardim-0.8.9-beta script, one drive made it through the initial pre-read but stopped at 12% during zeroing.  The second drive only made it through 86% of the pre-read (it's running slower and may have some issues).  The preclear came to a hault and the CPU was running at 100%. 

As per BobPhoenix's recommendation above, I then tried using bjp99's script (bjp999-1.15b) by renaming/moving it to /flash/config/plugins/preclear.disk/preclear_disk.sh, and also copied the included readvz file to the root of the flash drive (/flash/readvz).  I actually tried with both the original readvz as well as the one with bjp999's script.  After a reboot the option to use bjp999's script was available within the preclear dialog.  However, after starting a preclear (individual drives or both together), the status was not updated and only the message "starting" was displayed.

I will try to run bjp999's script manually to see if I have better success.

4 hours ago, Vibe said:

I will try to run bjp999's script manually to see if I have better success.

You need to edit the script to be compatible with 6.2+.  It has the same problem as the original JoeL script in that it needs to be updated to be compatible with 6.2+.  I am searching for the update instructions now.

On 5/17/2015 at 6:10 PM, gfjardim said:

Q) I want to use one of the older scripts(Joe L. or bjp999) in conjunction with notifications. Is that possible?

A) Yes. I've made some adjustments on both scripts so they become compatible with unRAID notifications; Joe L. version can be found here and bjp999 can be found here.

Here the info from the first post did you use one of these links?

If they have problems you could start with the raw bjp999 script and just do the modified JoeL changes that Zan suggested:

I believe that is the version I am using.  It doesn't work with notifications based on gfjardim notes not sure what problems that could cause but I've never seemed to have any.

Edited by BobPhoenix

Thank you BobPhoenix - I greatly appreciate it.  I see what I did wrong - I mistakenly thought that bjp999's version (preclear_bjp.sh from the mediafire.com link) had the modification for v6.2 already.  However, after doing a file comparison with preclear_disk_15c.sh that you pointed out, I see where the required change needs to be made (line #968).  I am also seeing the changes added for notifications.  In the meantime I am trying one more attempt using the default gfjardim-0.8.9-beta script to test a new hard drive I received yesterday (currently pre-read at 50% @ 194MB/sec).  If this fails I will I will try the versions you mentioned (with modification on bjp999's script) to see if I am successful.  If I can get this to work as intended, the convenience will be a tremendous addition to a fantastic script.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction!

I've precleared several drives with this plugin in the past with no issue.  Lately I've been trying to preclear 3 new Hitachi HDS5C4040ALE630 4TB drives.  On each attempt they fail on either the pre-read or post-read.  All three drives are passing extended SMART tests.  I've tried on 2 different SATA ports (with different cables).  Did something change in one of the recent updates?  I'm having a difficult time believing that I managed to acquire 3 brand new drives that are all bad.

I didn't find any information about preclear times for 10TB IronWolf drives before I started mine, so here it is for those interested.

4 drives precleared at the same time on the SAS3 (12Gbps) via Broadcom 3008 SW controller on SuperMicro X11SSL-CF.

Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read verification:                 [14:31:06 @ 191 MB/s] SUCCESS
Step 2 of 5 - Zeroing the disk:                        [14:23:28 @ 193 MB/s] SUCCESS
Step 3 of 5 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature:                              SUCCESS
Step 4 of 5 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature:                            SUCCESS
Step 5 of 5 - Post-Read verification:               [14:36:03 @ 190 MB/s] SUCCESS

Cycle elapsed time: 43:30:40 | Total elapsed time: 43:30:40

On 8/20/2017 at 2:31 PM, hallifallen said:

I didn't find any information about preclear times for 10TB IronWolf drives before I started mine, so here it is for those interested.

4 drives precleared at the same time on the SAS3 (12Gbps) via Broadcom 3008 SW controller on SuperMicro X11SSL-CF.

43 hours. Good to know.I just started my 10TB. My first pre clear should be done in time for me to move my server back to its normal location then start round 2.

• Squid unpinned this topic