Preclear plugin

On 3/13/2017 at 8:31 PM, GENINC said:

Any idea as to what causes the preclear plugin to not work? I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it doesn't budge. As mentioned before, all attributes are in red "undefined" and when I press start preclear a window pops up briefly and it goes back to doing nothing.

Any help would be appreciated as I have 8 disk sitting to be precleared.

GENINC

5 hours ago, GENINC said:

Any idea as to what causes the preclear plugin to not work? I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it doesn't budge. As mentioned before, all attributes are in red "undefined" and when I press start preclear a window pops up briefly and it goes back to doing nothing.

Any help would be appreciated as I have 8 disk sitting to be precleared.

GENINC

Please send me the plugin log (see the OP for instructions if needed).

10 hours ago, gfjardim said:

Please send me the plugin log (see the OP for instructions if needed).

I am having the exact same issue, and the log is 0 bytes, nothing inside!

Nothing shows up in the log when I try to start the preclear. I have attached 2 screenshots. The main preclear window, and the popup that opens and closes right away.

screenshot preclear 01.png

screenshot preclear 02.png

New user here and Preclear will not run on my system.

It just says starting next to the disks that I've clicked start on.  What should I do next?  What did I do wrong?

mcp-diagnostics-20170322-2303.zip

On the install it appears to never finish.

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg
plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg ... done
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/archive/preclear.disk-2017.03.23.txz ... done
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/archive/preclear.disk-2017.03.23.md5 ... done
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/source/statistics.sender/StatsInstall.page ... done

+==============================================================================
| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/preclear.disk-2017.03.23.txz
+==============================================================================

Verifying package preclear.disk-2017.03.23.txz.
Installing package preclear.disk-2017.03.23.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Package preclear.disk-2017.03.23.txz installed.

Verifying package libevent-2.0.22-x86_64-1.txz.
Installing package libevent-2.0.22-x86_64-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# libevent (event loop library)
#
# libevent is meant to replace the event loop found in event driven
# network servers. An application just needs to call event_dispatch()
# and then add or remove events dynamically without having to change the
# event loop. The libevent API provides a mechanism to execute a
# callback function when a specific event occurs on a file descriptor or
# after a timeout has been reached.
#
# Homepage: http://libevent.org
#
Executing install script for libevent-2.0.22-x86_64-1.txz.
Package libevent-2.0.22-x86_64-1.txz installed.

Verifying package tmux-2.2-x86_64-2.txz.
Installing package tmux-2.2-x86_64-2.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# tmux (terminal multiplexer)
#
# tmux is a terminal multiplexer. It enables a number of terminals
# (or windows) to be accessed and controlled from a single terminal.
# tmux is intended to be a simple, modern, BSD-licensed alternative to
# programs such as GNU screen.
#
# Homepage: http://tmux.github.io/
#
Package tmux-2.2-x86_64-2.txz installed.

Verifying package ncurses-5.9-x86_64-4.txz.
Installing package ncurses-5.9-x86_64-4.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# ncurses (CRT screen handling and optimization package)
#
# The ncurses (new curses) library is a free software emulation of
# curses in System V Release 4.0, and more. It uses terminfo format,
# supports pads and color and multiple highlights and forms characters
# and function-key mapping, and has all the other SYSV-curses
# enhancements over BSD curses.
#
Executing install script for ncurses-5.9-x86_64-4.txz

Done button is shown

In the plugin log only 2 lines appear.

ErrorWarningSystemArrayLogin

/usr/bin/tail: cannot open '/var/log/preclear.disk.log' for reading: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/tail: no files remaining

Edited by Indiana

Hi all,

UnRaid newb here, I am trying to preclear 3 x 6TB HDDs at the same time on a new build and no array. I used the plugin to clear them, and they all failed around the same time during postread because of some dd exit code 1 error. The webgui in unassigned drives just showed the status as preclear paused, and no way I could see to resume it.  I uninstalled the plugin, restarted the server, and installed again and then updated the plugin (3/23/17). It's currently running and will take a long time to get to the postread stage again. Assuming there were no errors up to that point, and if dd throws a exit code 1 error again, can I run the full verification only from the dropdown list in the plugin?

What's the difference between the postread stage and verification option in the plugin?

18 hours ago, Bayank said:

Hi all,

UnRaid newb here, I am trying to preclear 3 x 6TB HDDs at the same time on a new build and no array. I used the plugin to clear them, and they all failed around the same time during postread because of some dd exit code 1 error. The webgui in unassigned drives just showed the status as preclear paused, and no way I could see to resume it.  I uninstalled the plugin, restarted the server, and installed again and then updated the plugin (3/23/17). It's currently running and will take a long time to get to the postread stage again. Assuming there were no errors up to that point, and if dd throws a exit code 1 error again, can I run the full verification only from the dropdown list in the plugin?

What's the difference between the postread stage and verification option in the plugin?

Hi!

Some dd errors are not really errors, I'm afraid. I tried to catch abnormal dd exit status, but unfortunately dd trow all errors under exit code 1. Post read fase, for example, will always have dd trowing exit status 1 because the piped command, cmp (which verifies the zeroed state), trow a 1 exit status on end of the disk.

The short answer: don't take those errors on account. If the preclear has been successful, the script will let you know.

The Verify All the Disk option is based on the same routine as Post-Read, so both execute the same job.

Cheers.

On 18/02/2017 at 10:58 AM, NAS said:

How do I permanently opt out of :

Preclear Disks
Install Statistics Plugin

This plugin is used to send statistics anonymously using Google Forms and TOR.
Don't worry, you will be asked before sending every report.

so that it is not installed by mistake?

Apologies if I missed the reply, this is a popular thread.

How do I opt out of this permanently.

9QxVvpb.jpg

2 hours ago, gfjardim said:

Hi!

Some dd errors are not really errors, I'm afraid. I tried to catch abnormal dd exit status, but unfortunately dd trow all errors under exit code 1. Post read fase, for example, will always have dd trowing exit status 1 because the piped command, cmp (which verifies the zeroed state), trow a 1 exit status on end of the disk.

The short answer: don't take those errors on account. If the preclear has been successful, the script will let you know.

The Verify All the Disk option is based on the same routine as Post-Read, so both execute the same job.

Cheers.

Thanks for the clarification. After updating the plugin the postread finished successfully.

wow, just checking in on this topic and I'm surprised by how many issues you all reported.  I noticed a new update today, 2017.03.23 so I installed that.

I'm starting a new preclear job on a brand new Seagate Enterprise Capacity 8tb model  ST8000NM0055

I'm using gfjardim script

so far good,  Preclear in progress... Pre-Read: 7% @ 189 MB/s (0:52:51)

I'll report back when complete.

Just installed the update and I can no longer pre clear more than one disk at a time. worked fine yesterday before I updated it. Also the email results do not contain the serial number of the drive so it makes it very hard to track which drive is what when you are preclearing lots at the same time. Thans

Looks like this is the most appropriate place to post my issue. When I originally searched for my issue I found this post below and replied. I have three drives I am trying to preclear. All WD Red drives, one 1tb and two 4tb. I ran two cycles on the 1tb without any problems. I cannot get either of the 4tb to successfully preclear. They seem to stop with the percent complete or time elapsed to just stop. It seemed to only happen during pot read but after canceling and rebooting my microserver and trying it again it has stopped during the zeroing step at 98% but the log looks just like my screenshot in the post thread. The other thing I noticed is that on the dashboard it shows the status of all drives as precleared but only the 1tb one will let me look at the results. When it does stop I also notice some pretty crazy CPU utilization on the dashboard. The hard drive activity led also stops flashing when it does seem to freeze up. Usually one or two threads maxing out at 100% and staying there.

I have a Gen8 HP MicroServer running the latest version of unraid and the preclear plugin. Thanks in advance. I was really hoping to have this thing up and running by Friday....I have been trying to preclear since I got my drives Tuesday.

Edited by geonerdist

im having a problem also, trying to preclear a bran new 8TB HGST Drive, this is the second time that im trying and what happen is after pre-read finish and start Zeroing " from 7:00am" the unraid web-gui get unresponsive the page it just wont load, everything on the system is working, sab, plex etc but the web-gui is unreachable , ssh work fine, there is no flashing going on the hard drive activity Led just a solid green light

anyone please have any idea what the problem could be

is there a way to SSH and check the preclear log to see if the Zeroing is working

thanks in advanced

sorry man toronto canada time, Zeroing is ben runing for 9 hours, it take almost 14 hours to preread  finish from yesterday 5:00pm to 7:00am this morning at 158mb/s , is this because is a 8tb hardrive?

i never that run preclear have the webgui unreachable this is the first time, my system is i7 6800k, 32gb ram, asus x99 aii motherboard, running memtest for 3 pass 0 problem

Edited by mata7
47 minutes ago, mata7 said:

sorry man toronto canada time, Zeroing is ben runing for 9 hours, it take almost 14 hours to preread  finish from yesterday 5:00pm to 7:00am this morning at 158mb/s , is this because is a 8tb hardrive?

i never that run preclear have the webgui unreachable this is the first time, my system is i7 6800k, 32gb ram, asus x99 aii motherboard, running memtest for 3 pass 0 problem

If you have a Seagate Archive drive, you should expect longer write times. Some 8TB drives takes 45 hours for a single cycle. 

Edited by gfjardim

thanks for you guys help, just one more question in case that after tomorrow the percent dont Increases or for future knowledge, is there a command to stop preclear via shh without me forcing reboot manually the server

again thanks

Edited by mata7
  • Squid unpinned this topic