Two Good Deals on 8T Drives at B&H

SSD

I just moved up to 8T parity and adding a few drives to replace some smaller drives with some age on them. I love B&H. Retail packaging, and good packing. Free 2 day shipping. We need to support competitors to the Amazon monopoly!

Fast and Reliable

HGST 8T NAS (non-Helium) - $299.99. Free expedited shipping.

HGST is the most reliable drive brand based on most reviews. These 8T are cheaper than the less well regarded Seagate and WD-branded 7200 RPM drives. Fast parity or data.

Economical and Good For Media

Seagate 8T Easy Shuckable - $209.00. Free expedited shipping.

Seagate archive storage is well regarded here for cheap but dependable storage. 5980 RPM and using the shingled storage method, which under some circumstances could REALLY slow down under heavy non-sequential writes. But with the nature of media arrays this is very unlikely to happen. The external case will save you 15% over bare drive, but you get retail packaging and an extra USB3 cable. You might sacrifice warranty, but they pop open pretty easy and I think could be reassembled and returned if defective. YMMV

Unshucking used to be easy but then got impossible. These are not bad at all. Took me < 5 minutes. Fingernail slipped between the plastic pieces, and then credit card replaced it. Rest was very eary. The unshucking video below helps (note 5TB and 8TB use the same shell):

Disassembling the Seagate 8T Expansion

• Upvote 1

@bjp999, youtube links don't show up, realized this the other day to. I had to embed mine in quote or code boxes.

I am somewhat having the opposite issue - the link refuses to stay put behind a simple hyperlink, instead I get a large youtube preview picture ready to hit the play button. Even when I put the link in quotes with no "url" tags, same thing!

I added the link in quotes to the original post below, but with spaces in the "h t t p s" which seems to have suppressed the youtube processing. You can cut and paste into browser, remove the spaces, and hopefully see the video in all its glory.

BTW - I am using Firefox. Have to believe this youtube gone wild feature is something browser dependent.

Only thing I would of done totally different was to plug it in and make sure it works before I gutted it. Nothing worse than getting a DOA drive and no warranty to sent it back. ;)

Good thought. Probably no harm giving a quick test.

One concern with powering one up inside its little deathtrap of a case is that the drive will be immediately exposed to high temperatures. If I did it, I'd blow a fan on it while it was powered on. The thought of running extensive tests while inside the external case is somewhat concerning.

I have a theory with no real way to prove. But anecdotally I am convinced. I believe that the steady rhythm of the preclear helps burn in the drive's motor and/or prime the media, similar as driving a car at lower speed for the first 500 miles used to be recommended for new cars.  I have precleared virtually every drive added to my array since preclear existed. But I remember having somewhat of an emergency and inserted a brand new non-precleared one. The drive quickly developed reallocated sectors and flakey behavior and had to be returned. Maybe a coincidence, but I'm sticking with what has worked for me. Burn it in with a preclear.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give an epilogue.

I bought 2 of the Seagaes and 1 of the HGST.

All precleared perfectly. Maybe I should have, but I did not ever power on the Seagates before pulling them. I don't trust the deathtrap case and figure it could heat up quickly.

Benefit of the externals is you get factory packaging, so even a poor pack job by shipper still means a pretty well protected drive. Even the external case itself provides some protection with its rubber isolation grommets. And the HGST from B&H was shipping in factory HGST box, with pastic isolators top and bottom (if you've gotten retail boxes for internals you'll know what I'm talking about). Basically all these drives were very well protected for travel.

Seagates are working well. HGST is on on deck as next drive I add (or to replace a failed drive if need be). It is fast, but not as fast as my RAID0 pair of 4T 7200 RPM HGST NAS drives that have stepped up into that role.

BTW, just looked and the sale of the HGST ends today. Seagates now $0.99 higher.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

The extenal archive disk price has dropped another $10 to $199.99. That's $25 per T. 

BackBlaze has bought close to 10,000 of these archive drives, and has experienced about 2% failure rates.

Seen recent posts of users with high drive counts and drive sizes including 2T, 1.5T, and 1T. Being able to swap out 4 for 1 or even 8 for 1 would be tempting.

Not sure why this particular model is so much cheaper than internal and comparable external drives containing the exact same disk, but would not be shocked to see this one discontinued. As an external, it doesn't get stellar feedback as the case impedes cooling, ahs with ongoing price cuts it is following that pattern.

If interested, see link to B&H (Amazon is same price) and directions earlier in the thread to harvest the interval drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Im just giving feedback on the WD 8tb my books from B&H, i bought 4, i had to remove the partitios as it came exFat, and the rest was just adding it as any hdd, all are working great.  

I have heard in the past that WD Reds 8tb were noisy, this while white lebeled, seems to be WD Reds (i think), they are very quiet, probably not as quiet as my WD 3tb red, but acceptable, if the sale comes back again ill be buying another 4.

Edited by Abula