Swap VMs - stop/start

Hi

many times, we want to do a stop/start swap of the VM's because they are using common resources (keyboard/mouse, GPU, USB controller, etc).

Let's say that we have VM1 started, VM2 stopped.

The VMs screen (where all the VM's are listed) should allow definition of such logical entanglement between 2 (and only 2) VM's.

So that a stop command is sent to VM1 and once it's executed (so VM stopped, all resources released) a start command for VM2 is sent.

It should be easily identifiable what VM's are entangled (e.g. suggestion - list them in pairs)

And add a "Swap" option to to the VM control menu (e.g. the menu where you can issue start/stop/force stop commands).

Swap option should be enabled only if one VM is up AND the other down. If both up OR both down, "Swap" option should be disabled

WDYT?

PS: It might be useful/abused also as a way of high availability?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, methanoid said:

I'm sure nobody cares HOW it happens but would like for it to happen somehow... I asked something similar over a year ago...

And in the past year, you could have taken 30-60 minutes to learn to copy a probably already written script on unraid to start a vm, modified it to stop a vm, then count to 90, then start another.....

If you don't care how it happens, then be the change in the world you wish to see.

Edited by 1812
1 hour ago, 1812 said:

And in the past year, you could have taken 30-60 minutes to learn to copy a probably already written script on unraid to start a vm, modified it to stop a vm, then count to 90, then start another.....

If you don't care how it happens, then be the change in the world you wish to see.

I'd say you're not wrong, my problem has been my own free time, for projects, and when you're "Hello world" to "script-kitty" level programmer, and the GUI hiding all the mechanics it becomes a "where to start/tackle." I'd also agree a proficient programmer could hammer something out in 30-60 minutes, I'd bet on a whole order of magnitude for myself; hence I made a request.

*shrugs* If dev's don't think it's worth their time, that's fine. . . it's a request, after all. Now, if some one wants to point at a URL and say, here's the documentation on the code, or go look here at the code here (for starter clues), that would be cool too.

3 hours ago, Jcloud said:

I'd say you're not wrong, my problem has been my own free time, for projects, and when you're "Hello world" to "script-kitty" level programmer, and the GUI hiding all the mechanics it becomes a "where to start/tackle." I'd also agree a proficient programmer could hammer something out in 30-60 minutes, I'd bet on a whole order of magnitude for myself; hence I made a request.

*shrugs* If dev's don't think it's worth their time, that's fine. . . it's a request, after all. Now, if some one wants to point at a URL and say, here's the documentation on the code, or go look here at the code here (for starter clues), that would be cool too.

Just dive in! you might learn something fun.