unRAID as a Workstation Host System?

Hi there,

i want to use unRAID as a Workstation Host System.

This means, i want to run two Systems on one machine at the same time.

OSX, to work with, and Windows for playing games if i want to.

And i dont want to setup dualboot because its annoying to restart the computer everytime.

This means also, i will start and stop the machine everytime i go to bed or i want to go on the pc, so it's not running 24/7.

So what do you mean, can i use unRAID for this or should i buy an second pc?

You can use unRAID to do what you want but its going to take some work. unRAID support virtualization using KVM, you can certainly run a windows VM for gaming and a VM for OSX to work on, but would you want to run them at the same time?

You will need to do some research on these forums, running a Windows VM is supported however OSX is technically not, however there are tutorials on the forums on how to do it, I suggest you check them out.

Okay thank you, yes i got already both VMs running, but i have some perfomance problems.

And im thinking about to buy an newer cpu and mobo, but i thought to ask you guys, if its good what i want to do.

I have an second PC with an Core i5 and 8GB RAM, so i could put on this machine OSX and my other machine for gaming, so i dont need to spend money. But i dont know, what i should do know  ;D

Buy a newer components to get a good running multiboot system, or use to PCs and dont spend any money on new hardware... Mhhh thats really hard  ;D