General Question Regarding Use of Plex with unRaid 6.2.4

tncolts

Good day to all of my good fellow unRaid ladies and gentlemen.

As I stated in the subject I'm running unRaid 6.2.4.  Last week I decided I give the Plex Media Server docker a go, I recently acquired an Apple TV 4 and I figured...what the heck,

Just a brief summation of my hardware:

ASUSTeK Computer INC. - P6T

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz

24GB RAM

47TB Array

First, I must say the Plex Media Server software is quite impressive, or at least in my opinion.  I like all the bells and whistles as they say.  Now, on to my question...

When I play a file via Plex, my unRaid CPU temp spikes to between 90C and 95C for between one and three minutes.  After which, CPU usage returns to a more normal state (10-30%).  During the time at which CPU has spiked, of course, the CPU temp rises.  It normally tops out at around 95C, after CPU usage returns to its normal state the CPU temp returns to around 45C.  Since I've had this particular build that is a normal temp for my system (45-55C).

The question (thank God, I thought we'd never get there):  is this rise of CPU temp as I've described above normal for the Plex Media Server?  Maybe I have something set incorrectly.  You'd think more of the grunt work of transcoding could be done via the system RAM but I suppose that isn't possible.

I figured this was the best place to start.  If I have mistakenly placed this question in the wrong area within the forum, please move it to the appropriate place.

If anyone out there has an answer to my inquiry, I'd appreciate it a great deal.

Thanks to all

The transcoding process (like all media transcoding) is heavily CPU-bound.  You'd likely get a more detailed response over on the Plex forum, however in the first instance, I'd try changing the transcoder profile to 'prefer higher speed encoding'. 

That being said, I have never seen my CPU exceed 60C during transcoding, and I leave it on automatic.  I wonder if there isn't something wrong with your CPU cooler, or perhaps some new thermal paste is required!  Assuming you didn't choose 'make my CPU hurt' of course! :)

I have Plex set to "make my CPU hurt" and it still only peaks at around 70C, and that's with passive cooling. 95C is way hotter than I'd be comfortable with, I'd check the CPU cooler asap, and try to improve the airflow through the case as much as possible too.

SR

this ^^^^

I never hit over 40C when transcoding multiple streams... but I also have servers with big, loud fans.

It seems there is something wrong with your cooling. My i7-3770 gets a max. temp of 45° during transcoding of 4x1080p at full load so check your CPU-Cooler or

the thermal paste immediately.

Beware the i7-950 has a TDP of 130W so maybe your cooler is undersized.

The max. acceptable Tcase temp of the i7-950 is 67,9° Celsius - see this link:

http://ark.intel.com/de/products/37150/Intel-Core-i7-950-Processor-8M-Cache-3_06-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI