unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

The cron job will not spin up the drives, from what I have been seeing.  I have this running on my machine and it starts up right after the mover script kicks in.  If there are files to be moved then my disks spin up and the script will run.

Hmm....if it doesn't spin up the drives, how does it know if it has files to delete? ie, I was thinking it had to actually look at the directories for these files?

If the information for those directories is already in the buffer cache, there is no need to spin up the physical disk.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a little user_script that will rename the current crashplan.tar file and then tar a new version for you, all at the click of a button.  Should make it a little easier for those needing to do this instead of telneting in and running the command.  Just unzip the script and place it in the unmenu folder.

I did not test this, my server with crashplan is down right now while I am switching some drives, so if someone wants to take a look and let me know if this is correct that would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Added the line specified by JoeL below.  Thanks for the heads up on that line.  I did not realize that you could do that.

EDIT2: I have also attached a .conf file for installing cpio, which could come in handy if you are trying to install and run crashplan.

40-unmenu_user_script_tar_crashplan.zip

cpio-unmenu-package.conf.zip

Here is a little user_script that will rename the current crashplan.tar file and then tar a new version for you, all at the click of a button.  Should make it a little easier for those needing to do this instead of telneting in and running the command.  Just unzip the script and place it in the unmenu folder.

I did not test this, my server with crashplan is down right now while I am switching some drives, so if someone wants to take a look and let me know if this is correct that would be much appreciated.

prostuff1,

If you add one more line to the user-script, the "Tar Crashplan Files" button will only show itself if the /boot/packages/crashplan.tar file exists.

This new USER_SCRIPT_TEST allows you to dynamically change the Label on the button to whatever is output by the script of commands on the line.

It also hides the button if the result of the command is an empty string. So, no file results in no echo, and no visible button to those who might not have crashplan installed.  The "echo" in this case is a fixed string of "Tar Crashplan Files"

I've highlighted the additional line below.

Joe L.

#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL Tar Crashplan

#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR This will re-tar your install of Crashplan after it has updated itself to the newest version

#define USER_SCRIPT_TEST test -f /boot/packages/crashplan.tar && echo "Tar Crashplan Files"

echo "<pre>"

mv /boot/packages/crashplan.tar /boot/packages/crashplan-old.tar

tar -cvf /boot/packages/crashplan.tar /usr/local/crashplan /var/lib/crashplan

prostuff1,

If you add one more line to the user-script, the "Tar Crashplan Files" button will only show itself if the /boot/packages/crashplan.tar file exists.

This new USER_SCRIPT_TEST allows you to dynamically change the Label on the button to whatever is output by the script of commands on the line.

It also hides the button if the result of the command is an empty string. So, no file results in no echo, and no visible button to those who might not have crashplan installed.  The "echo" in this case is a fixed string of "Tar Crashplan Files"

I've highlighted the additional line below.

Joe L.

#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL Tar Crashplan

#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR This will re-tar your install of Crashplan after it has updated itself to the newest version

#define USER_SCRIPT_TEST test -f /boot/packages/crashplan.tar && echo "Tar Crashplan Files"

echo "<pre>"

mv /boot/packages/crashplan.tar /boot/packages/crashplan-old.tar

tar -cvf /boot/packages/crashplan.tar /usr/local/crashplan /var/lib/crashplan

Thanks JoeL for pointing that out.  I did not realize that could be added to the user scripts.  I just looked at one to make sure I was getting the correct syntax and that line was not present. Now I know!

Also attached a .conf file to the post above for installing cpio.  If I get ambitious I might try to right a package manager plugin that will install crashplan... we shall see.

Thanks JoeL for pointing that out.  I did not realize that could be added to the user scripts.  I just looked at one to make sure I was getting the correct syntax and that line was not present. Now I know!

It is a new feature in unmenu 1.3. It is only used in a few "user-script" buttons so far.  Specifically those that might be used only when a specific package is installed.

One example is this script that will show a button to send a test e-mail if mail has been installed, but not show it if mail is not installed.

#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL Send Test Email

#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR Send a test e-mail to the <b>root</b> account.  If it is properly forwarded, and a mail server configured, you will get the sent  message.

# by using a USER_SCRIPT_TEST this button

# will not show itself unless mail is installed

# the button label will be that printed by the "echo" command

#define USER_SCRIPT_TEST which mail >/dev/null 2>&1 && echo "Send Test E-Mail"

echo "<pre>"

echo "Mail being sent to root.  With any luck, it will be forwarded properly."

echo "This is a test e-mail to 'root' from `hostname`" | mail -s "This is a test mail" root

Also attached a .conf file to the post above for installing cpio.  If I get ambitious I might try to right a package manager plugin that will install crashplan... we shall see.

I always liked cpio.  Thanks.

I'm getting this message and a quick search for smartlog turned up only one hit.

Mar 27 18:54:40 Serenity unmenu[3199]: ls: cannot access smartlog/*.txt: No such file or directory

How would I remedy this issue?

Thx!

The smartlog folder is where you may place additional "smart.txt files to be shown as examples for analysis on the "smart" view in MyMain.

The error message is because you have no such directory (and/or  no *.txt files in it)

You can ignore the message.  I'll fix the program to eliminate the error, so thanks for the report.

If you want to get rid of the error now, do this.

First create the missing directory:

mkdir /boot/unmenu/smartlog

Then unzip the attached smartlog.zip file and put the sample .txt files contained in it in the smartlog directory you created on the flash drive.

It should be at \\tower\flash\unmenu\smartlog in window's file-explorer.

Now the error will be gone, and you'll see examples of how drives with problems will look in the MyMain "smart" view under unMENU.

Joe L.

smartlog.zip

Then unzip the attached smartlog.zip file and put the sample .txt files contained in it in the smartlog directory you created on the flash drive.

Now the error will be gone, and you'll see examples of how drives with problems will look in the MyMain "smart" view under unMENU.

Joe L.

I think I was getting that error message in Smart History. It now says

Sorry: cannot run smarthistory.

The /boot/smarthistory directory does not exist

I was curious what the Smart History button did is all.

Joe L.

I think I was getting that error message in Smart History. It now says

Sorry: cannot run smarthistory.

The /boot/smarthistory directory does not exist

I was curious what the Smart History button did is all.

It is another possible user add-on.  It graphically shows the smart history of your disks over time.

It is described here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3146.0

And it looks like this when you press the button in unMENU

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3146.msg26999#msg26999

Hmmm....now that's interesting....as I don't believe I ever installed that as an add-on yet I have that option in my unmenu screen as a main tab option.

You are correct.  I had included the display page in unmenu 1.3, so you could view the output,  but not a package to install it as an add-on.  

It is a very nice package taking advantage of the charting API google provides.  It does need "php" installed, either by installing the "php" package itself, or as part of installing unRAID-Web, which also installs "php"

If you look at the plug-in that shows the option in unmenu, it just has a few lines, most of them test to see if it is installed:

It is file 200-unmenu-smarthistory.cgi

It is just a shell script, with the last line actually invoking the smarthistory.php program.  The rest is just to make sure the folder with the smarthistory exists, the data file exists, and "php" is installed.

#define ADD_ON_MENU=Smart History

#define ADD_ON_URL=smarthistory

#define ADD_ON_VERSION=1.1 - added tests for directory, file, and php

SMART_HISTORY_DIR="/boot/smarthistory"

SMART_HISTORY_PHP="smarthistory.php"

if [ ! -d "$SMART_HISTORY_DIR" ]

then

echo "<font size=+2 color=red>Sorry: cannot run smarthistory.  <br><b>The $SMART_HISTORY_DIR directory does not exist.</b></font>"

exit

fi

if [ ! -f "$SMART_HISTORY_DIR"/"$SMART_HISTORY_PHP" ]

then

echo "<font size=+2 color=red>Sorry: cannot run smarthistory.  <br><b>The $SMART_HISTORY_DIR/$SMART_HISTORY_PHP file does not exist.</b></font>"

exit

fi

cd "$SMART_HISTORY_DIR"

which php >/dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? = 1 ]

then

echo "<font size=+2 color=red>Sorry: cannot run smarthistory.  <br><b>The \"php\" interperter is not installed.</b></font>"

exit

fi

php "$SMART_HISTORY_PHP" -wake ON -output HTML -graph IMAGE -report ALL

I suppose it would be good if I made up a package-manager "package" to install smarthistory. (unless somebody beats me to it  ;))

Joe L.

Ah...that makes sense now. I may not get to it immediately, but I'll eventually press all of the buttons you present to me to see what it does  ;D.

That said, I installed PHP and the Smarthistory files by hand and have a question.

If I decide not to keep smarthistory and PHP, I can tell unmenu's package manager to not re-enable on reboot. Does it actually delete the files for me as well as disabling it or does it just disable things?

ie, I'm not sure whether I prefer to get rid of the downloaded packages or not at this point.

If I decide not to keep smarthistory and PHP, I can tell unmenu's package manager to not re-enable on reboot. Does it actually delete the files for me as well as disabling it or does it just disable things?

ie, I'm not sure whether I prefer to get rid of the downloaded packages or not at this point.

The package file you downloaded will still be in /boot/packages.  You will need to delete that yourself if you do not want it taking up space on the flash drive.

If you disable the auto-re-install on reboot, it just deletes the "packagename.auto_install" file, so it does not get invoked the next time you reboot (since it is not there)

unMENU never deletes files and/or folders on the flash drive created by the packages installed.  Therefore, it will not delete the smarthistory directory it creates, or the data file in it. 

Joe L.

just wondering, does unmenu just, die for some ppl for no reason? it just stopped working, but as im running a preclear cant exactly reboot, normal www works fine still, port 8080 just times out.

I've found this happens if you attempt to click one of the links while it's refreching a page already.  This used to happen alot to me when I let it sit on the Main page since that one auto refreshes every minute. 

Easy solution is to restart unmenu.

telnet in.

then "cd boot/unmenu"

finally "uu" will restart unmenu

I don't know what happened , now I cant set my own value for my MAIL settings in package manager. After I have update to my own settings its going back to default after I have clicked on "restart with new settings".

It's both for the mail & unRAID Status Alert,

I have restart the unmenu several times and reinstall it also, it's still the same problem.

Right now I do a patity check, I'm going to reboot the server after it's finished with parity check, and see if it works then.

And it also some strange thing in the User Scripts, some times I can't see "Check for UnMenu uppdates" and "Install unmenu uppdates" functions.

I don't know what happened , now I cant set my own value for my MAIL settings in package manager. After I have update to my own settings its going back to default after I have clicked on "restart with new settings".

It's both for the mail & unRAID Status Alert,

I have restart the unmenu several times and reinstall it also, it's still the same problem.

Right now I do a patity check, I'm going to reboot the server after it's finished with parity check, and see if it works then.

And it also some strange thing in the User Scripts, some times I can't see "Check for UnMenu uppdates" and "Install unmenu uppdates" functions.

Those choices will only appear if the unmenu_install program is in your /boot/unmenu directory.

It sounds as if you are running the older version from a different directory.

Hmm, strange I only have one folder with unmenu installed, but I have deleted it and created it again and make a new installation, so I hope this is gone , but still have problem with my own settings for the mail.

Where did you get the version of unmenu you are installing?  

From an attachment to this thread?  

Or from here at google.code:

http://unraid-unmenu.googlecode.com/files/unmenu_install13.zip  (this is no longer most current)

The latest version is the one at google.code.  

Install instructions are here: http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/

Joe L.

Joe, what about incorparing an update-Me button in unMenu 1.3? Just executes "unmenu_install -u" and restards uu. Would be handy, I think, or do you see any potential pitfalls?

It is in there already, on the user-scripts page.  The button will show itself if unmenu_install is in the unmenu directory with all the other files.

The "Restart" button is there too.  It is separate.

The button actually first executes

unmenu_install -c

to check if you are current or not, if not, it changes the wording on the button from Check for Updates to Install Updates.

Good idea though... and I thought of it too.

Joe L.

I used the new installation file unmenu_installl

True, but my first version of unmenu_install did not properly deal with the fields you locally edit on the config forms. 

When comparing the current release with the file on your server it has to ignore your locally configured settings.  Otherwise, it replaced your configured file with one that had not yet been configured.  Probably the issue you discovered.

Joe L.

It is in there already, on the user-scripts page.  The button will show itself if unmenu_install is in the unmenu directory with all the other files.

The button actually first executes

unmenu_install -c

to check if you are current or not, if not, it changes the wording on the button from Check for Updates to Install Updates.

Joe, just tried pressing the Update button and got:

./10-unmenu_user_script_update_unmenu: line 6: unmenu_install: command not found

in line 6:

Put in that script the full path to unmenu_install, i.e. call to /boot/unmenu/unmenu_install and it worked like a champ. Or at least ./unmenu_insall

Just to let you know...