unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And checking for errors every 5minutes would be great ( or set that time in the configuration), if there are a error, then send email  ;D

//Peter

What type of errors are you referring to??

Almost everything that can happen :-)  what do you think you can check for ? more than if some disc is bad.

OK,  now I've got all THREE bugs fixed... (saving blank fields had two un-related lines needing fixing. One in rendering the field on the form to the browser, the other in parsing the variable submitted from the browser.)

I'll post the two new files here first... then create a new complete zip file, with everything for the first post once one or two people try them.

Man....I really feel bad now for asking about a settable interval. That said, I'll download the 2 main files and overwrite everything later tonight when I get home. Thanks for everything!

Hey Joe - thanks for the new gizmo.  I'm using the latest version (posted 3/16/10 @ 13:03) and trying to get my Comcast email account set up to work with the notify routine.  I was able to use the package manager to get the mailx app installed and set up with the right variables.  Unfortunately Comcast seemed to be ultra-picky and I had to tweak the ssmtp.conf directly to make it work.  It seems to need "localhost" in the hostname field.  Here is what I have that works:

[email protected]
mailhub=smtp.comcast.net:587
rewriteDomain=
hostname=localhost
UseSTARTTLS=YES
AuthUser=myuserid
AuthPass=mypassword
FromLineOverride=NO

The config script will insert "[email protected]" in the hostname field.  Comcast complains as follows:

root@Tower:/usr/local/etc/ssmtp# echo "this is a test 4" | mail -v -s "test 4" root
[<-] 220 omta13.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready
[->] EHLO [email protected]
[<-] 250 OK
[->] STARTTLS
[<-] 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
[<-] 250 OK
[->] AUTH LOGIN cmFubWFuaG9sZGl0
[<-] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
[->] YWxwaG9uc2U=
[<-] 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded
[->] MAIL FROM:<root@[email protected]>
[<-] 550 5.1.0 <root@[email protected]> malformed address: @comcast.net> may not follow <root@userid

The localhost hack will work until next reboot.  Is there any way you can add in a variable for the package manager that will let a newb like me enter hostname?  Thanks again for the fun.

Hey Joe - thanks for the new gizmo.  I'm using the latest version (posted 3/16/10 @ 13:03) and trying to get my Comcast email account set up to work with the notify routine.  I was able to use the package manager to get the mailx app installed and set up with the right variables.  Unfortunately Comcast seemed to be ultra-picky and I had to tweak the ssmtp.conf directly to make it work.  It seems to need "localhost" in the hostname field.  Here is what I have that works:

[email protected]
mailhub=smtp.comcast.net:587
rewriteDomain=
hostname=localhost
UseSTARTTLS=YES
AuthUser=myuserid
AuthPass=mypassword
FromLineOverride=NO

The config script will insert "[email protected]" in the hostname field.  Comcast complains as follows:

root@Tower:/usr/local/etc/ssmtp# echo "this is a test 4" | mail -v -s "test 4" root
[<-] 220 omta13.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready
[<-] 250 OK
[->] STARTTLS
[<-] 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
[<-] 250 OK
[->] AUTH LOGIN cmFubWFuaG9sZGl0
[<-] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
[->] YWxwaG9uc2U=
[<-] 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded
[->] MAIL FROM:<root@[email protected]>
[<-] 550 5.1.0 <root@[email protected]> malformed address: @comcast.net> may not follow <root@userid

The localhost hack will work until next reboot.  Is there any way you can add in a variable for the package manager that will let a newb like me enter hostname?  Thanks again for the fun.

Sorry to learn it would not work to start, but happy to learn you figured out the fix.

You can edit the mail-ssmtp-unmenu-package.conf file using the Config View/Editor built into unMENU

Change this line (it is about 3/4 of the way towards the bottom of the file):

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "hostname=${[email protected]}" >>/boot/packages/ssmtp.conf

to

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "hostname=localhost" >>/boot/packages/ssmtp.conf

Save the file, go to the package manager, click on the "Edit Values" button on the package, leave all values as they were, but click on "Save"

It will save a new configuration file and will present a button to Re-Install with new values.

Press the "Re-Install with new Values" button, then scroll down once more to the package and press the Re-Install on Re-boot.  You should be up and running properly next time you reboot.

At the same time this will give me the time to learn more about what various e-mail hosts need in the hostname field.  I can easily add the field, but want the affiliated wording and description to be such that it does not confuse people trying to get their mail working.

Again, thanks so much for figuring out what ssmtp.conf file needed. 

(using ssmtp is a HUGE advantage, in that it is very configurable and ssmtp.conf examples can be found on the web.)

Joe L.

That worked like a charm.  And now, I am really dangerous knowing about the config editor:-)

yes... pretty slick for a bunch of "Gnu-awk" scripts pretending to be a web-server, isn't it.  The config-editor came when another member figured out how to get our unmenu server to accept a POST submitted from the browser. Definitely, a team effort.

If you create anything new and exciting, share it with your friends.

prostuff1 managed to find another bug in the package-manager's handling of certain characters in edit fields.

Attached is an updated version of the package-manager plugin. Just unzip it to your unmenu folder.  no need to re-start unmenu, it will be in effect the next time you click on the Package-Manager page in unMENU.

The older plug-in works with all the packages I have published thus far, but prostaff1 is about to release a package which will require the newer version of the package-manager to edit its variables properly.

Thanks to all for the help in getting through the beta period.  I could not do this without the help and feedback.

See first post in this thread to get all the new files for unmenu 1.3

Joe L.

prostuff1 managed to find another bug in the package-manager's handling of certain characters in edit fields.

Attached is an updated version of the package-manager plugin. Just unzip it to your unmenu folder.  no need to re-start unmenu, it will be in effect the next time you click on the Package-Manager page in unMENU.

The older plug-in works with all the packages I have published thus far, but prostuff1 is about to release a package which will require the newer version of the package-manager to edit its variables properly.

Thanks to all for the help in getting through the beta period.  I could not do this without the help and feedback.

Joe L.

And on that note everyone will find attached a .conf for this new package.

I thank JoeL for all the work he has done in creating unmenu.  I am glad I managed to find a little bug and get it fixed.

OK, so what this package does:

The purpose of this script is to remove the .DS_Store and ._ files that Mac OS X creates when viewing a file through Finder. Please see the wikipedia entry on Cron to get a better idea on how cron works. There is no error checking for the removal time entered, so please be careful when entering you desired time.

Please be sure to read up on the format on the crontab time so that you do not mistype it.

I thank JoeL for all the work he has done in creating unmenu.  I am glad I managed to find a little bug and get it fixed.

The purpose of this script is to remove the .DS_Store and ._ files that Mac OS X creates when viewing a file through Finder. Please see the wikipedia entry on Cron to get a better idea on how cron works. There is no error checking for the removal time entered, so please be careful when entering you desired time.

Please be sure to read up on the format on the crontab time so that you do not mistype it.

Yes!!! Thank you thank you thank you! Looking at the wiki, I think the default is to run this at 12:40AM every day?

Yes!!! Thank you thank you thank you! Looking at the wiki, I think the default is to run this at 12:40AM every day?

The "cron time" in the config fields as distributed is

40 3 * * *

Quoting from the wiki:

.---------------- minute (0 - 59) 
|   .------------- hour (0 - 23)
|   |  .---------- day of month (1 - 31)
|   |  |  .------- month (1 - 12) OR jan,feb,mar,apr ... 
|   |  |  |  .---- day of week (0 - 7) (Sunday=0 or 7)  OR sun,mon,tue,wed,thu,fri,sat 
|   |  |  |  |
40  3  *  *  *

That would be 40 minutes past 3 in the morning on every day of the week, on every month.

There are five fields to specify the time.  "*" is a wild-card matching all hours/days/months

If you wished 12:40 AM, the crontab string for the config field would be:

40 0 * * *

Joe L.

Per some requests I am attaching a new .conf to this post.  There are a few things changed but nothing major.

I was missing a newline at the end of the .conf and the filename was supposed to be all in lowercase so I have changed those and uploaded it below!!

Any suggestions for it, let me know!

Please see Joes post above for an explanation on cron time format and my post for the original description of what this .conf does.

ds_store_cleanup-unmenu-package.conf

Thanks Joe L.! I misread the time, 3:40AM is good too :).

I had previously installed the previous conf file and just downloaded your new one and copied it over. Do I need to uninstall it from the previous package manager or just copying the file over is fine?

Hi

First, thank you very much for this great add-on menu to unraid.

I have installed the mail/ssmtp + hourly status mail.

But for some reason the smtp provider I'm using is saying the mail contains a virus and there for are striped down to:

A message for this address contained a virus

and was not delivered.

Virus detected - Malformed container violation

The message was from <root@NAS_Serup>

Subject: unRaid Status OK

I'm not able to use a different smtp provider.

I have attached my config.

Perhaps someone have a suggestion for a solution.

I have tested with the "echo... this is a a test" that was mentioned in this thread. I have no trouble receiving that mail.

Thanks.

BR Søren

Ps. In the picture attached I have erased part of the text in the input fields.

hourly-email.JPG.0e3df41236476d7a3a3dd631bc2e152b.JPG

In the first screen-shot you seem to have

youraccount@

in the Mail ID field.  The description specifically ask that the @domain.com not be there.

You might try just putting

youraccount

and not having the trailing "@"

Second, try change the "From Line Override" to "NO" as they may not like you are trying to pretend the mail is originating elsewhere.

Lastly, attached is a newer version of the mail ssmtp package configuration file.

Use it instead of the older one. It provides a new separate field for Hostname. 

Originally I was using the first field on the form as the host name (which you might have left blank, can't tell if you blanked it or not)  You can probably leave it as localhost.  That seems to work with both google and my time-warner mail hosts.

Joe L.

mail-ssmtp-unmenu-package.conf

Hi Joe,

In the 'Mail ID' field I have to type my complete address ie. [email protected]. If I don't I get this error when, testing by manual running the smtp script:

root@NAS_Serup:/etc/cron.hourly# smtp_status.sh
root@NAS_Serup:/etc/cron.hourly# send-mail: Authorization failed (500 failed authentication)

Your other two suggestions did sadly not make any difference.

I think this may just be an unfortunate error on my side, with the specific smtp/mail provider I'm using. Somehow my provider do not like, the contend/form of how the automatic status mail are composed.

But thanks for your help.

Edited:

Just found this: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2009052115233954 - explains why my problem.

I know my provider uses Symantec Scan Engine with there mails solution (Imail).

BR Søren

Just decided to give unmenu a shot and it is very nice. One question and apologize if this isnt quite the right place to post it.

I want to get the email notifications setup and see to install mail and ssmtp you have to install the c compiler. I've got 2gigs in my machine so probably shouldnt be a concern but since I like to run things minimally and not consume uneeded resources can I uninstall the compiler after compiling ssmtp?

Or should I not be concerned and just leave the compiler installed?

Just decided to give unmenu a shot and it is very nice. One question and apologize if this isnt quite the right place to post it.

I want to get the email notifications setup and see to install mail and ssmtp you have to install the c compiler. I've got 2gigs in my machine so probably shouldnt be a concern but since I like to run things minimally and not consume uneeded resources can I uninstall the compiler after compiling ssmtp?

Yes you can... it is installed to RAM, as you know.  So, the way to uninstall it is to just reboot. (And not have the "Re-Install on Re-Boot" button selected on the package manager for that package.)

Just so you know, I usually only install it when I need it... (as it is so easy to re-install when I do need it).  I tend to reboot every once in a while, as I do a lot more experimenting on my server.

Or should I not be concerned and just leave the compiler installed?

Entirely up to you.  You have plenty of RAM compared to the 512 Meg I have in my server.

Joe L.

Is there any indication that the ds_store file is actually running correctly? Can a line be entered into the syslog when it is complete?

Yes, I could probably add something that is similar to how the mover prints that it has started and that it has finished.  I am busy right now and will try to get to it the middle of this coming week.

Seemed to have found an issue. If I let unmenu sit at the main menu for a few minutes it automatically refreshes and I get this page come up:

404 Page Not Found

We were unable to find the requested page '%22'

I seem to be getting this same problem, recently.  I had been messing with unmenu so much in the testing of the script I have just released so had not payed much attention.  What I see when this happens is that a quote mark (") gets added to the end of the URL and cause the page refresh to "fail".

Is there any indication that the ds_store file is actually running correctly? Can a line be entered into the syslog when it is complete?

Yes, I could probably add something that is similar to how the mover prints that it has started and that it has finished.  I am busy right now and will try to get to it the middle of this coming week.

Thanks. The reason I'm asking is I saw my drives spindown around 2AM that morning. If the cronjob ran I would have expected to see spindowns around 4:45 or 5AM that morning (around an hour or so of inactivity)  but when I had checked they were already spundown so I'm wondering if it really ran for me.

Maybe that's a valid question....should it have spun the drives up looking for files? I didn't have cache_dirs running at the time, but I do now.

The cron job will not spin up the drives, from what I have been seeing.  I have this running on my machine and it starts up right after the mover script kicks in.  If there are files to be moved then my disks spin up and the script will run.

Hmm....if it doesn't spin up the drives, how does it know if it has files to delete? ie, I was thinking it had to actually look at the directories for these files?