unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

I recently found that the Popcorn Hour community had done a bang-up job on an add-in architecture:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=33465

This is by far, the best implementation of community-supported add-ins I have ever seen... even better than Firefox's.  I would live to develop this type of installer for unRAID.

Thanks for that link.  I will mark it down so that I can read through it later.

I have my unRAID 5 test system set up and ready to go for whenever it is released.  I am looking forward to when that happens.  I realize it will be a lot of work to rewrite some or the plugins for the new system but it should (hopefully) be worth it.  A central repository were we (unRAID users) can put packages and the like would probably go a long way to helping.  Google code is nice and works for the most part, but a dedicated system would probably work better.

I may mess around with purchasing a domain and some space and dedicating it to the community addons.  To be honest though I am not entirely sure what all would have to go into it as I don't do much web related stuff (mostly a desktop software kinda guy).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe L.,

I wanted to nip in to thank you for your enormous and priceless efforts and continous support to the community!

I am using unMENU from the begining and operating my unRAID server would be much less fun without it, 1.3 is working flawless too.

THANK YOU!

Bence

I had the old version of unmenu installed and upgraded to 1.3.  I noticed that unmenu did not start after reboot and packages set to auto install did not run.  I think I found the problem in \\tower\flash\config\go

The last line is currently:

/boot/unmenu/uucd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c 

Does there just need to be a carriage return between uu and cd?

I had the old version of unmenu installed and upgraded to 1.3.  I noticed that unmenu did not start after reboot and packages set to auto install did not run.  I think I found the problem in \\tower\flash\config\go

The last line is currently:

/boot/unmenu/uucd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c 

Does there just need to be a carriage return between uu and cd?

Yes, apparently you did not put one there when you added the /boot/unmenu/uu line to start unmenu.

In linux, all shell commands lines must end with a newline (or a semi-colon).  The only reason you got away with it was because the command was the last in the file.

unmenu expected the newline to be there, so it just appended the line for the auto-install logic to it.

I can probably add logic to look for that omission and fix that...

Joe L.

The MySQL package doesn't work  >:(

Even with the simplest of changes to the script, changing host from Tower2 to Tower, and replacing occurences of your_password over to a password don't fix it.

The permissions are not being setup correctly, as can be seen from this error log

100310 14:17:13 [Warning] option 'max_join_size': unsigned value 18446744073709551615 adjusted to 4294967295
100310 14:17:13 [Warning] option 'max_join_size': unsigned value 18446744073709551615 adjusted to 4294967295
100310 14:17:13  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file operation.
InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
InnoDB: the directory.
InnoDB: File name /mnt/disk1/mysql/ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
100310 14:17:13  mysqld ended

I have mentioned this in the mysql thread, but it seems to be getting little\no attention.

Has anyone managed to get this working? It would be nice if the supplied script at least installed a basic database without having to be tweaked. Im still trying to get my head around all of the linux permissions stuff, or I'd have a go at fixing it myself.

Glen.

The MySQL package doesn't work  >:(

Even with the simplest of changes to the script, changing host from Tower2 to Tower, and replacing occurences of your_password over to a password don't fix it.

The permissions are not being setup correctly, as can be seen from this error log

100310 14:17:13  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file operation.
InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
InnoDB: the directory.
InnoDB: File name /mnt/disk1/mysql/ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
100310 14:17:13  mysqld ended

I have mentioned this in the mysql thread, but it seems to be getting little\no attention.

Has anyone managed to get this working? It would be nice if the supplied script at least installed a basic database without having to be tweaked. Im still trying to get my head around all of the linux permissions stuff, or I'd have a go at fixing it myself.

Glen.

Sorry... I was not the person who wrote the package file, and I do not use mysql. 

From what it is saying, you do not have unix permissions set as it is expecting. 

A general google search will probably give you more answers as it appears as if mysql is installed, but needs correct permissions set somewhere.

I did a google search on "The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to"

One returned link was http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=2028

With luck, you'll find the solution is near the bottom of that page.

Let us know if it works, and I'll add the appropriate commands to fix the permissions to the unMENU package file.

Hi Joe,

hehe, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, etc, etc,  ::)

I've been trying out allsorts for the last 24 hours, and whilst I'm getting a better understanding of linux / permissions / etc, I'm still no closer to getting mysql to work  :-\

I've even tried chmod 777 as a last desparate attempt, all to no avail.

I'm going to have a break for today before I pull the last bit of hair out. If someone finds a fix in the meantime I would be eternally gratefull.

UnMenu rocks btw :)

Cheers

Glen.

Hi Joe,

hehe, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, etc, etc,  ::)

I've been trying out allsorts for the last 24 hours, and whilst I'm getting a better understanding of linux / permissions / etc, I'm still no closer to getting mysql to work  :-\

I've even tried chmod 777 as a last desparate attempt, all to no avail.

I'm going to have a break for today before I pull the last bit of hair out. If someone finds a fix in the meantime I would be eternally gratefull.

UnMenu rocks btw :)

Cheers

Glen.

based on my small number of tests, the mysql server process is being started, but we are unable to connect to it using "root" and "your_password"

So... we might not know the correct initial password, or it is just saying that to throw us.  If possible, enable more detailed logging and look at the logs to figure it out.

Obviously, I never tried this, or I would have noticed that "Tower2" host name in there.

Perhaps you can track down the original author of the .conf file and get some help.

Gotta say, unmenu is really impressive. Thanks for all the work you put into it.

One thing that bugs me though. It lets anyone connect to it. Is there a way to make it require a login to access?

It is not a full-featured web-server.  It is "awk" listening on port 8080 pretending to be a web-server (and doing a pretty good job of pretending at that)

You can install unRAID-Web. It uses lighttpd, a more complete web-server that can be secured.  Then, you can add the entries in its config to require passwords.  (I've never done this, so you'll have to figure it out based on lighttpd docs on the web.)

Finally, once lighttpd is installed and prompting for a password, stop the unmenu.awk process and don't run it at all.

Joe L.

It is not a full-featured web-server.  It is "awk" listening on port 8080 pretending to be a web-server (and doing a pretty good job of pretending at that)

You can install unRAID-Web. It uses lighttpd, a more complete web-server that can be secured.  Then, you can add the entries in its config to require passwords.  (I've never done this, so you'll have to figure it out based on lighttpd docs on the web.)

Finally, once lighttpd is installed and prompting for a password, stop the unmenu.awk process and don't run it at all.

Joe L.

I've been wondering about this.  I kinda like unRAID-web but REALLY like unmenu and was wondering if I still needed to run unmenu with unRAID-web.  This sounds like No.  Are there any gotchas to running unmenu in unRAID-web?  Will it run better that way since it's a real web server?

Joe L.

I've been wondering about this.  I kinda like unRAID-web but REALLY like unmenu and was wondering if I still needed to run unmenu with unRAID-web.  This sounds like No.  Are there any gotchas to running unmenu in unRAID-web?  Will it run better that way since it's a real web server?

Once unRAID-Web is installed, you can use it in its entirety, or by putting

http://tower:89/extensions/unmenu/#myMain

as the URL, you can get unMENU without the left hand nav menu.

The "unMENU extension" I wrote for unRAID-Web dynamically writes "wrapper" "index.php" pages in sub-directories named after your set of unMENU plug-in pages.  (Yes, it is a program writing the programs)

When you invoke unMENU under unRAID-Web it still uses "awk" to invoke the original unmenu page and returns the result through the lighttpd browser.  It is pretty transparent to you.

The "gotcha" is several of the original built-in functions in unmenu.awk were not available, (since it is not the web-server) so replacements written as plug-ins had to be used. It is why the main unmenu page is not available and myMain is used as the main page.

Other than that, everything should work.  The file-browser also could not be used, but the AjaxExplorer is so much nicer.

Like unMENU, unRAId-Web is an exercise in defining an alternative/better user interface to unRAID.  It is written in ".php" while unMENU is mostly "awk" and "shell"  (many users will find it easier to create a plugin for unMENU than write one in .php. )  unRAID-Web will probably go away once unRAID 5.0 is made available and we can port so of the functionality we've created to it.  In the interim, since it is a web-server where you can add security, you can.

Joe L.

Installed the C compilers etc then tried to compile the iStat server. Got the following output:

root@Tower:/usr/src/istatd-0.5.6# ./configure

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c

checking whether build environment is sane... yes

checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /usr/bin/mkdir -p

checking for gawk... gawk

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes

checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no

checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking for ranlib... ranlib

checking for g++... no

checking for c++... no

checking for gpp... no

checking for aCC... no

checking for CC... no

checking for cxx... no

checking for cc++... no

checking for cl.exe... no

checking for FCC... no

checking for KCC... no

checking for RCC... no

checking for xlC_r... no

checking for xlC... no

checking whether the C++ compiler works... no

configure: error: in `/usr/src/istatd-0.5.6':

configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details.

Do I need to have it set to install on boot and reboot for it to work? I've hardly ever compiled from source so may well be doing something wrong :)

Justin

Edit - just tried downloading and installing the email package and that works - I can now send mail using sendmail. So I guess that iStatd needs extra stuff that the unmenu compiler package doesn't provide?

It appears as if you need the C++ compiler, not the "C" compiler.  Close, but not quite.

I did not need the C++ compiler to compile ssmtp, only the "C" compiler.

It is probably only one or two more libraries... Let me know if you figure it out... looks like we are close.

Joe L.

Noticed something a bit odd.

I just rebooted my server after installing two brand new drives straight out of the factory sealed static bags.

These two new drives show up on the Main screen but not the myMain screen.  Other drives which are not part of the array yet show up on the myMain screen, why not these?

Noticed something a bit odd.

I just rebooted my server after installing two brand new drives straight out of the factory sealed static bags.

These two new drives show up on the Main screen but not the myMain screen.  Other drives which are not part of the array yet show up on the myMain screen, why not these?

I don't think bjp999 shows them until they have been partitioned.

Think it might be just this one I need next:

http://slackware.oregonstate.edu/slackware-12.2/slackware/d/gcc-g++-4.2.4-i486-1.tgz

going to try that :)

Edit:

getting there - now getting

configure: error: cannot find xml2-config: depending on your operating system you may need to install a '-dev' package for libxml2

so downloaded http://slackware.oregonstate.edu/slackware-12.2/slackware/l/libxml2-2.6.32-i486-2.tgz

now getting

checking libxml/parser.h usability... yes

checking libxml/parser.h presence... yes

checking for libxml/parser.h... yes

checking for xmlFileOpen... no

configure: error: xml2-config was located, but a test program linking against -lxml2 could not be built

why can't these things be easy? :)

Thanks JoeL for all the work you have done on unmenu! It is a great tool,  and I look forward to when 5.0 comes out and we can migrate it over to that platform and play with it.

The upgrades to the package manager are very nice!!  I have a few things I am going to try and turn into packages and see what I can come up with.

EDIT: Also, while I am thinking about it... should be put this new version up on the google code.  I realize that it is only a beta, but we could specify that in the name.

Thanks JoeL for all the work you have done on unmenu! It is a great tool,  and I look forward to when 5.0 comes out and we can migrate it over to that platform and play with it.

You and me both.  It has been a great way to try things in a rapid development environment, but unRAID 5.0 will bring a new environment in which to migrate some of what we've learned.

The upgrades to the package manager are very nice!!  I have a few things I am going to try and turn into packages and see what I can come up with.

I'm still learning how to create packages using the new features myself... I'm working on a periodic status e-mail run by cron right now.  It has NO download, as it is just a short script contained entirely in the package .conf file.  It expects you to have a working "mail" command... but that is easy now.  I have the basics working, just want to add a frill or two before I post it.

Yes, I was getting more requests asking how to edit configuration variables, and many of the more complicated packages had dependent libraries... therefore, the changes were ones that were warranted.   

One thing to remember as you create your own packages... the fields used for config variables have absolutely no edit-checks unless you put them in your script, but they are much easier for Linux newbies than editing files by hand.

EDIT: Also, while I am thinking about it... should be put this new version up on the google code.  I realize that it is only a beta, but we could specify that in the name.

Yes, that is my intent, but google code does not allow you to remove a file once it has been downloaded some number of times. 

I wanted to get the early bugs out first. (I know my code is perfect..., every line is exactly as I wrote it... but sometimes my logic isn't  ;))

Joe L.

(I know my code is perfect..., every line is exactly as I wrote it... but sometimes my logic isn't  ;))

Joe L.

I know exactly what you mean.  I spent the better part of the morning since I arrived at work trying to find a bug in some ASP.NET C# code that I added yesterday.  The sad thing is how long it takes to find those "mistakes" when it took you 20 seconds to add that line of code the first time.

OK, a surprise for those who installed the "mail" package I included with unMENU 1.3

Attached Now available from google.code is a package .conf file for a program that will send e-mail status alerts when the status of the unRAID array is abnormal.

abnormal includes:

Array not started

Array performing a parity check

Array disk disabled or invalid.  (a disk failure)

Any disk temperature over a preset threshold: (configurable, initially set to 40C)

In addition, you can elect to get hourly status e-mails even if the array is healthy. (Configurable, initial value = YES, so you can see it is working before you change the configuration and re-install to eliminate the alerts when the array is healthy.)

Whenever an alert is sent, you may elect to include the contents of the "mdcmd status" command.  (configurable, initially NO, since it is mostly interesting to geeks)

The package config screen looks like this:

2ptxkoy.jpg

You can use this package with any "mail" program that will accept a "-s subject"

By default, mail is sent to "root" which for many mail programs is forwarded to a interested user.  You can send the e-mail to any valid e-mail address (also configurable)

again, un-zip to either your /boot/packages directory or your /boot/unmenu directory.  There is nothing to download.  

It uses the unRAID supplied hourly scheduled cron task to invoke it once an hour at 47 minutes past the hour.

The most current version of this plug-in can now be downloaded from google.code.  It has several improvements since this initial version, some of which are needed  by various mail hosts.

Once you put unmenu_install in your "unmenu" folder, invoke it as

unmenu_install -u

Joe L.

Sounds good Joe, but what does it offer that isn't in the unraid_notify addon that's available from the wiki?

Also if it's only checking once per hour, isn't that a long time to wait if one of your drives gets hot just after the last check? I think unraid notify polls once a minute or something, and is configurable.

If both addons are doing similar things would we be better off only having the best one of the two (whichever that is) available so end users don't get confused and there's less duplication of work?

Just some thoughts, and please don't take it in a negative way as I'm very impressed with all your work on the package manager so far!

Justin