Start VM on USB key impossible ?

NY152

Good morning,

I would like to create a virtual machine that only the USB disk image (no ISO image only an IMG format)

I have assigned my USB drive to my blank VM but it does not start on it. I tried in EIFI and Legacy, same worries.

I tried other USB sticks (which work elsewhere without worries, same thing, the VM does not start on it.

My question is simple: Can we start a VM on a USB stick, if so, is there a special precaution to take? An instruction to add in XML?

Tank you for your help

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bonjour,

J'aimerais créer une machine virtuelle dont seul l'image-disque USB (pas d'image ISO seulement un format IMG)

J'ai attribué ma clé USB à ma VM vierge mais ça ne démarre pas dessus. J'ai essayé en EIFI et en Legacy, même soucis.

J'ai essayé d'autres clés USB (qui fonctionnent ailleurs sans soucis, mêmechose, la VM ne démarre pas dessus.

Ma question est simple : Peut-on démarrer une VM sur une clé USB, si oui, y a-t-il une précaution particulière à prendre ? Une instruction à ajouter en XML ?

Merci de votre aide

The message says there is no usb boot. The key works elsewhere and I tested on 7 different keys.

I have the impression that a RAID also does what it wants. The most obvious example. J eforce the main display on my PCI-E port 3 in my BIOS to have the PCI-E 1 & 2 in pasthrough and well, I can do what I want it will always boot on port 1 even if there Has no screen connected and the other yes. A pitfall. So I have to reconfigure every time and it never happens the first time. I never have complete control over what I do, it's distressing.

I continue my evaluation but I have serious doubts about the purchase of a license. It's not stable enough and too random in my experience.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Le message dit qu'il n'y a aucun usb boot. La clé marche ailleurs et j'ai testé sur 7 clés différentes.

J'ai l'impression qu'unRAID fait aussi un peut ce qu'il veut. Exemple le plus flagrant. J eforce l'affichage principal sur mon port PCI-E 3 dans mon BIOS pour avoir les PCI-E 1 & 2 en pasthrough et bien, je peux faire ce que je veux il bootera toujours sur le port 1 même si il n'y a pas d'écran branché et les autre oui. Un comble. Du coup je dois à chaque fois tout reconfigurer et ça passe jamais du premier coup. Je n'ai jamais le controle total sur ce que je fais, c'est désolant.

Je continue mon évaluation mais j'ai de sérieux doute quant à l'achat d'une licence. C'est pas assez stable et trop aléatoire d'après mon expérience.

Just to make sure I'm clear on what you want:

You want a usb drive to hold the img file of a specific vm? correct?

you said you've assigned the usb drive to the vm, how? did you set it as the vdisk image source? or just click the x at the bottom of the vm creator/editor to assign it that way?

Yes that is correct !

In fact, I thought that by adding the key as a USB device, it was enough to make it operational in the VM ...

Need to manually add it in XML? If so, thank you for helping me because I do not know how to do this ^^

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oui c'est correct !

En fait, je pensais qu'en ajoutant la clé en tant que périphérique USB, cela suffisait à la rendre opérationnelle dans la VM ...

Il faut l'ajouter manuellement en XML ? Si oui, merci de m'aider car je ne sais pas comment faire cela ^^

"IF" it works (I've done this once before) it should do so this way for you:

do you have the unassigned devices plugin? let's assume you do not.

first get the community apps plugin :https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40262.0

once that is installed, click on the "apps" tab in the menu, then search for unassigned devices. install that

once that installs, go back to the main tab in the menu.

scroll down, you will now see a section for Unassigned devices. Your usb drive should be shown here. click "Mount" to mount the drive.

you may need to format the drive before you can use/mount it. pick a format of your preference. xfs works fine.

once it is mounted, click the + sign by its name. You will see a dropdown with the number 1 and a pathway. that is the path to the usb disk. for example, one of mine is: /mnt/disks/SanDiskUSBdrive5732e Your will be different after /mnt/disks/YourDrive

Copy that path to a text editor or something so you can save it for a few minutes.

now, click VMs at the top menu and select the VM template of your preference.

scroll down to the section for Primary vDisk Location, change the selector to manual. then to the right of that you can either paste your path that you copied earlier, or if it engages the drop down, you can alternatively navigate to it by clicking (it will be under disks)

then select a primary vDisk size appropriate to your usb drive size.

the rest is a standard vm setup. go back to the top and pick ram/cpus/etc.. and all the other options below regarding devices/passthrough/etc...

that should be it.

warning: a usb mounted vm will be slow, unless it's on usb3, which would obviously be faster. I ran one on a usb2 connection. it took a long time to boot and was a little bit laggy.

J'ai étudié le francais pendant deux semestres. Mais, j'ai oublie beaucoup.

Bonne chance! let me know how it turns out.

I am not trying to install a VM on a USB key but to use a bootable key to INSTALL a system in VM (the distribution I want to install does not exist in ISO format, only in IMG format (not mountable directly in the VM))

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Je ne cherche pas à installer une VM sur une clé USB mais à utiliser une clé bootable pour INSTALLER un système dans la VM (la distribution que je veux installer n'existe pas en format ISO, seulement au format IMG (non montable directement dans la VM))

in IMG format (not mountable directly in the VM))

Have you tried? It's quite likely it will boot if you add the IMG file as a primary vdisk using sata mode in the VM template. If it does, then you can add a secondary vdisk to install it to, and remove the primary once you are done with the install.

and alternatively

use unassigned devices to mount the usb, then use the same method to find the path of the usb as before, paste that into your OS Install ISO section of the vm creator, but with the .img file name/location(if it is in a sub directory) added to the end of the path.

or

mount the usb, copy the img file over to your isos folder on the server, and it should now appear automatically with any other iso/img/dmg files you have there

or

temporarily change the default ISO storage path location in the vm manager to your mounted disk drive.

Have you tried? It's quite likely it will boot if you add the IMG file as a primary vdisk using sata mode in the VM template. If it does, then you can add a secondary vdisk to install it to, and remove the primary once you are done with the install.

I tested it, it does not work.

J'ai testé, cela ne fonctionne pas.

and alternatively

use unassigned devices to mount the usb, then use the same method to find the path of the usb as before, paste that into your OS Install ISO section of the vm creator, but with the .img file name/location(if it is in a sub directory) added to the end of the path.

or

mount the usb, copy the img file over to your isos folder on the server, and it should now appear automatically with any other iso/img/dmg files you have there

or

temporarily change the default ISO storage path location in the vm manager to your mounted disk drive.

I have an error with this method:

internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2017-01-14T09:40:14.201569Z qemu-system-x86_64: -drive file=/mnt/disks/General_UDisk-part1,format=raw,if=none,media=cdrom,id=drive-sata0-0-0,readonly=on: Could not refresh total sector count: File too large

I thought foolishly that by assigning a USB key to a VM, we could start on it, it would have been too simple. It had to complicate things ...

J'ai une erreur avec cette méthode :

internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2017-01-14T09:33:12.707314Z qemu-system-x86_64: -drive file=/mnt/disks/General_UDisk-part1,format=raw,if=none,media=cdrom,id=drive-sata0-0-0,readonly=on: Could not refresh total sector count: File too large

Je pensais bêtement qu'en assignant une clé USB à une VM, on pouvait démarrer dessus, ça aurait été trop simple. Il fallait compliquer les choses ...

I give up, the answer is always beside. I already said that the IMG file was not readable by the VM. I would look for my answer elsewhere. Sorry for the inconvenience.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

J'abandonne, la réponse est toujours à côté. J'ai déjà dis que le fichier IMG n'était pas lisible par la VM. Je chercherais ma réponse ailleurs. Désolé pour le dérangement.