Unable to run DNS server as dnsmasq is listening on port 53

tuxbass

Tried to run bind docker, but failed to start up as port 53 was already occupied, caused by dnsmasq.

Is the dnsmasq process bound to virbr0 required for NATing traffic for vms? How to deal with this situation when one needs to run a DNS server?

[Tower]-[~]
lsof -Pnl +M -i4 | egrep '\b53\b'
dnsmasq    6475       99    5u  IPv4   17978      0t0  UDP 192.168.122.1:53
dnsmasq    6475       99    6u  IPv4   17979      0t0  TCP 192.168.122.1:53 (LISTEN)

[Tower]-[~]
/sbin/ifconfig
/../
virbr0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.122.1  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.122.255
        ether 52:54:00:c5:b6:f1  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 79635  bytes 6877736 (6.5 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 351  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 106075  bytes 331823871 (316.4 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

br0 will be the common bond the uses the same ip range as your unRaid server.

vibr0 will put the any device/vm/docker using it on a private, isolated IP address.

I'm not familiar with that docker, but changing it shouldn't hurt anything as long as the DNS program isn't trying to conflict with the network dhcp server.

• 4 months later...
35 minutes ago, 1812 said:

you should start your own thread as all servers/situations are not identical.

But the same thing happened to me, my dnsmasq worked fine until I installed VMs.  Now it no longer works. I figured i should search the forum first to see if anyone else had the same issue instead of starting new thread.  I am using the bridge and even disabled my VM config but it isn't working now.  If tuxbass solved it I thought I would be quicker since no one else seemed to know how to fix his issue.

I also posted this elsewhere but for future users:

I was able to get it going with a docker using this repo (add in docker repos)

https://github.com/roninkenji/docker-templates/tree/master/roninkenji

After that add container

choose my-Dnsmasq Template

You will need your config files in this path /mnt/user/appdata/dnsmasq/config or wherever you point the path

name it dnsmasq.conf I also put a host file in there. If you are unfamiliar with what goes there go here https://blogging.dragon.org.uk/howto-setup-dnsmasq-as-dns-dhcp/

i have to set network to bridge before it worked

Finally have my DNS server happy running again!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/9/2017 at 10:06 PM, Timbiotic said:

I also posted this elsewhere but for future users:

I was able to get it going with a docker using this repo (add in docker repos)

https://github.com/roninkenji/docker-templates/tree/master/roninkenji

After that add container

choose my-Dnsmasq Template

You will need your config files in this path /mnt/user/appdata/dnsmasq/config or wherever you point the path

name it dnsmasq.conf I also put a host file in there. If you are unfamiliar with what goes there go here https://blogging.dragon.org.uk/howto-setup-dnsmasq-as-dns-dhcp/

i have to set network to bridge before it worked

Finally have my DNS server happy running again!

How did you get it running? I tried to set up that docker container but get conflicts on the ports and seems like it is because dnsmasq is already running on unRAID itself (possibly due to using VMs and/or Docker? both of which I have going on my unRAID), based on a netstat.

On 8/19/2017 at 11:23 PM, Timbiotic said:

Where is the config file for the unraid one?

Did you ever figure this out and if so where? And can we bend it to our will and use it ourselves with custom config? I've already got my conf built because I was hoping to use it with the docker container you posted above.

Would love to have DNS running here so that I can do name resolution to my local systems when connected via OpenVPN-AS. That way I don't have to memorize IPs or if I need to connect to a system that uses DHCP I just need to know the name.