Does unRAID ever go on sale?

I am still on the fence.  60 bucks is bit too much as I may switch to proxmox.  I am really looking for a KVM hypervisor not a NAS, though I would use the NAS part.  The lack of Virt-manager and ease of dedicating hardware passthrough to VMs are my current deal breakers.  It is taking longer then I'd like to find work a rounds.  I am not a fan of the USB stick install with no automatic cloud backup options either. 

I am not saying it isn't a good system, just not sure if it is right for my needs and don't want to waste 60 bucks.  So who has a coupon code for 50% off?

If it does what you need it to do, it's an extremely good deal at current prices. If it doesn't do what you want, free isn't cheap enough. The trial period plus reading through the forums and watching the tutorial videos should help you decide which it is. A sale isn't going to make the software fit your needs any better.

A sale isn't going to make the software fit your needs any better.

Well said -- I agree completely.

If it does what you need it to do, it's an extremely good deal at current prices.

Very true ... and $60 is hardly a significant expense relative to the cost of building a good system.    If it is, then you probably can't afford to build the system in the first place.

I'm actually buying 3 more in the next few days. Wonder if I can get a multi-purchase discount? ha!....

Is the two pack gone?

The two pack was an artifact of the old painful process of mailing Tom to get a new license issued if a flash drive failed. You could get a backup key, with the intention of reducing downtime on a single server. The two pack wasn't really MEANT to run 2 servers, but of course you can, no issues, but then you would be down to a single server when your flash failed and you had to wait for Tom to get back to you with a new GUID license.

Now that Limetech's key server and automated key issue is in place, you can get a new license in seconds, as long as you have a backup of your key file. So no need for a 2 pack.

Like Squid said, if you approach him with the prospect of multiple simultaneous purchases, he may work something out with you, but it's not really a thing any more.

• Like 1

WiFivomFranMan,

I was trying to find a way of saying "no, and with good reason" without sounding like I was gathering my pitchforks and torches. I appears I was just to first to reply because the community agrees with me. Don't take this as ganging up on you...

If you do choose unRAID, this community is the true value. From stupid newbie mistakes to troubleshooting vague and complex hiccups, someone will help you out here. I doubt you will find that in many other places - it's why I switched from FreeNAS and never looked back.

I'm actually buying 3 more in the next few days. Wonder if I can get a multi-purchase discount? ha!....

Is the two pack gone?

The two pack was an artifact of the old painful process of mailing Tom to get a new license issued if a flash drive failed. You could get a backup key, with the intention of reducing downtime on a single server. The two pack wasn't really MEANT to run 2 servers, but of course you can, no issues, but then you would be down to a single server when your flash failed and you had to wait for Tom to get back to you with a new GUID license.

Now that Limetech's key server and automated key issue is in place, you can get a new license in seconds, as long as you have a backup of your key file. So no need for a 2 pack.

Like Squid said, if you approach him with the prospect of multiple simultaneous purchases, he may work something out with you, but it's not really a thing any more.

Nah, I was merely making a joke. I already own a pro license and bought a plus earlier today. In the next couple days i'll pick up 2 basics. For what unRaid does for me, I'm not going to try to save five bucks and hassle folks.

Now if I was buying 12+ licenses... .maybe that would be different....  that five bucks saved perl icence could by me a small bottle of decent scotch.... or another basic license!

The Fanboi is strong in here.  Almost as strong as with Apple lovers...

Feel free to buy me a copy if you really love it so much.

60 bucks is over the throw away limit.  25 or 30 bucks I'd do it. 

The community is great.  So far the help as been....

"$60 is hardly a significant expense relative to the cost of building a good system.    If it is, then you probably can't afford to build the system in the first place."  - you can't afford a server...

"If you can't get your questions answered during the trial, you're doing it wrong."  - you are too dumb to use unRAID...

Fantastic help. 

Read over the guides for an OS-X VM.  Trash.  disorganized and missing key information.  The video guide tells use tools that no longer work, etc...  It is free help and no one is cleaning it up to a usable summary.

Do a nic card pass through.  Not an easy task if you have to use the CLI.  It is a guess if unRAID will take the card back over after a reboot or not.  Or if you if you pass through a usb keyboard and mouse and unplug it for some reason, shut that VM down to get your keyboard working again........  Good luck with the KVM mouse during a new VM setup, trash.

Maybe you guys are doing basic raid stuff with plex docker for your stolen movies / tv shows.  The KVM pieces are far from dialed in.  60 bucks is polished software pricing.  The KVM unRAID pieces are still in beta right now.  All of these pieces are free, unRAID is pulling them together.  You paying for the easy of use but it isn't there yet.  I am sure there are work around but I have stuff to do and hacking software I paid for, expecting it to work, isn't something I am in a hurry to do.

I attached picture of my new server, still waiting for the drives to come in...  Looking like ProxMox is going get my money.  Thanks for the help.

Screen_Shot_2017-01-10_at_6_44.10_PM.png.8b6b6cddc20d3a21b40e0190b4b86672.png

"$60 is hardly a significant expense relative to the cost of building a good system.    If it is, then you probably can't afford to build the system in the first place."  - you can't afford a server...

I'm afraid I agree with that point.  How much is Windows?  You could setup a Linux server for free, I know I could, but considering I bought my Unraid license in 2011 I would judge that as pretty good value.

The trial is for 30 days iirc and LT will extend that, surely that's a reasonable trial period to decide if it fits for your purposes or not?  If at the end of that you decide it's not worth $60 then fair enough, move on, if it is, then great, welcome to the community,  which is one of the advantages of Unraid is that it's a pretty vibrant, friendly and helpful user community.

"If you can't get your questions answered during the trial, you're doing it wrong."  - you are too dumb to use unRAID...

That's because there is such a good community here, not that you are too dumb. To be honest there's a reason why people here are enthusiastic about the product, I COULD set up a different OS to run my server on, indeed I have in the past, but I came back to Unraid, not because I'm a fanboi as you put it, I'd rather like to be credited with a little more intelligence than that to be honest, but because it serves my needs very well. 

Read over the guides for an OS-X VM.  Trash.  disorganized and missing key information.  The video guide tells use tools that no longer work, etc...  It is free help and no one is cleaning it up to a usable summary.

We've spoken to LT about adding OSX templates etc in the past, problem is Apple licensing iirc, so they legally don't want to do so.

Do a nic card pass through.  Not an easy task if you have to use the CLI.  It is a guess if unRAID will take the card back over after a reboot or not.  Or if you if you pass through a usb keyboard and mouse and unplug it for some reason, shut that VM down to get your keyboard working again........  Good luck with the KVM mouse during a new VM setup, trash.

Maybe you guys are doing basic raid stuff with plex docker for your stolen movies / tv shows.  The KVM pieces are far from dialed in.  60 bucks is polished software pricing.  The KVM unRAID pieces are still in beta right now.  All of these pieces are free, unRAID is pulling them together.  You paying for the easy of use but it isn't there yet.  I am sure there are work around but I have stuff to do and hacking software I paid for, expecting it to work, isn't something I am in a hurry to do.

I attached picture of my new server, still waiting for the drives to come in...  Looking like ProxMox is going get my money.  Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you've already made your mind up.  Good luck with proxmox and I wish you all the best.

• Like 1

A quick look at Proxmox and it seems to me that its an open source solution aimed at businesses, its comparing itself to VMware so that's my impression anyway. unRAID is not a solution for businesses, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a business, its just not the right product for a business in my opinion.

In terms of virtualization, Proxmox looks to be far ahead of unRAID, but then I don't really think its fair to compare them. Proxmox seems to be chasing after people who want something like VMware but don't want to perhaps pay what VMware costs and or want something more, something more open. unRAID on the other hand is for home users, tinkerers, hobbyists, or people who want a home NAS but get a lot more.

Good luck with Proxmox, I hope you are happy with it.

A quick look at Proxmox and it seems to me that its an open source solution aimed at businesses, its comparing itself to VMware so that's my impression anyway. unRAID is not a solution for businesses, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a business, its just not the right product for a business in my opinion.

In terms of virtualization, Proxmox looks to be far ahead of unRAID, but then I don't really think its fair to compare them. Proxmox seems to be chasing after people who want something like VMware but don't want to perhaps pay what VMware costs and or want something more, something more open. unRAID on the other hand is for home users, tinkerers, hobbyists, or people who want a home NAS but get a lot more.

Good luck with Proxmox, I hope you are happy with it.

The network community is moving towards KVM for NFV.  You'll start to see it all kind of boxes, from your cable modem to APs, running it.  Proxmox does seem more polished for KVM, though I just installed it today.  unRAID seems like a NAS for storing and streaming stolen videos with a KVM as a bolt on to save money by sharing the hardware as a PC.  Though I can't see how any normal person can use over 12 attached hard drives at their house.  Seems like a business level NAS at that point or some kind of digital hoarder.  Probably a silly idea to use unRAID focused as a hypervisor.  Maybe in a couple of years it will be up to speed.

A guy walks into a bar and says "This does not look like a place where I'd like a beer! The seats are to small, the lighting is too dark, the music is too loud, and it has a different smell than what I'm use to. So, who here wants to hook me up with a half-price drink!"

And you wonder how the locals are going to react....

• Like 1

The Fanboi is strong in here.  Almost as strong as with Apple lovers...

Feel free to buy me a copy if you really love it so much.

60 bucks is over the throw away limit.  25 or 30 bucks I'd do it. 

The community is great.  So far the help as been....

Fantastic help. 

If you think 60$ is too much to pay, I sincerely dont hope you are using Microsoft products.

Imo is UnRAID a great home product, but if you want to run alot and some advanced virtualization, you should go with something like Vmware or Proxmox.

I will though agree with you, that the KVM integration is shit, and the VNC viewer is pure cancer.

But I dont get your complaints about the community, it is one of the things I love about this product. I have only met friendly and helpful people

It seems like you want an enterprise kvm solution which Proxmox should meet your needs. If you use the Free trial unRAID, you can always use virt-manager from a different computer and a separate vnc client. If you decide to stick around, all us hoarders and thieves will probably still help you out.

• Like 1

A guy walks into a bar and says "This does not look like a place where I'd like a beer! The seats are to small, the lighting is too dark, the music is too loud, and it has a different smell than what I'm use to. So, who here wants to hook me up with a half-price drink!"

And you wonder how the locals are going to react....

Haha spot on!