Looking for advice on building a new system with an existing key

I'm re-using an existing key on a new system, new pool, etc.  I pulled the key from the last system, am I better off to just plug the usb stick into the system and boot just like it was, or should I redo my thumb drive with fresh files?  My concern is any pool data that may be on the thumbdrive.

Not entirely clear what you mean by pool in this context. btrfs cache pool is the most frequent use of that term lately, but perhaps you just mean the user shares ability to pool disks in the parity array.

You can use the existing key in a new system. It is just a question of whether or not there is anything from the old system you want to retain, such as disk assignments and other settings from the webUI.

By pool, I was referencing the pool of drives that make up my array.  I'm starting a completely new system,I don't want/need anything from the old system, just reusing the key and some of the hard drives, but for a completely new system.

I'll boot it up and see what happens, I can't screw anything up at this point:)

Sounds like you don't want to keep anything from the old install so the only thing you need to keep is the keyfile. Just save the keyfile somewhere, format and prepare the usb stick just like a new install, and copy the keyfile back. That way you can be sure you start with a clean installation.