USB PCIe controller pass-through and UNRAID log error

Darkun1

It's hard to draw conclusions from such a small excerpt, but it appears that 3 separate devices are not handling the restart very well - 0000.07.08.0, 0000.00.03.0, and 0000.08.00.0.  If you grab the Diagnostics, you can check the lspci report to identify those devices.

You may want to play with BIOS settings, don't know which ones  ...

You should definitely check for a newer motherboard BIOS, and for newer firmware for the cards.

For more help, we would need to see your hardware list, and your diagnostics (Need help? Read me first!).

I am currently using UNRAID 6.3.0 rc6 and attached is a zip folder with syslogs and screenshots. I have also tried it with 6.2.4 and the same issues are there.

Plugins I have installed are CA appdata backup/restore, CA Appdata Cleanup, CA auto update, CA resource monitor, Community applications, and Libvirt hotplug USB.

My hardware is the following

Xeon E5-1650 v3 CPU

ASRock X99 WS-EATX LGA2011-3 motherboard

Kingston PC4-2133 ECC memory

PNY GTX 960 x 2 GPU pass-through

AMD R5 230 for UNRAID

Seagate 1TB x 2 UNRAID array and parity

Crucial SSD 525GB M.2 UNRAID cache

Crucial SSD 525GB x2 VM pass-through

Corsair HX1200i PSU

Anker USB 3.0 PCI-E card for pass-through

I have the most up to date BIOS for the motherboard and last I looked was a few days ago and stilled showed version 3.40. I am going to try the VIA XCHI Driver V4.40E to see if that helps any. I was also thinking maybe going with a USB 3.1 PCI-E card to see if they are more compatible.

The issue I am having when passing the USB PCI-E card to a VM is that most of the time when I shutdown or reboot the VM it goes in to a hibernate\crash state and I have to force shutdown the VM. When I force shutdown the VM, most of the time it does not boot backup and says that the USB PCI-E device is currently busy. I can either edit the VM templet and remove the USB PCI-E card to boot the VM up or reboot the entire UNRAID system.

As long as I don't reboot with the USB PCI-E card pass-through, anything I connect seems to work just fine within the VM and I primarily use it for a web cam for my company meetings. I find that the web cam works great when a USB card is passed-through to the VM for true plug and play.

I also found it interesting that I get better success on rebooting the VM if I do it from the UNRAID GUI but not always. I will keep playing with my BIOS settings as well.

New_Compressed_zipped_Folder.zip