Data Rebuild / Parity Sync stopped

Hi ,

my unraid server version is 6.2.4. One of my hard disks showed a red dot some time ago. When I tried to start data rebuild with a new drive ( 4TB same size as the old one), the data rebuild process starts for a couple of hours and finished with a red dot (drive not present again). The preclear process of this new drive finished without any issues. I alread changed the harddisk interface slot to exclude any physical problems, but the error is still the same. I attached the diagnostic file of my configuration. Any help to solve is welcome  :)

Best regards

Dieter

unraid-diagnostics-20161205-0922.zip

Thnat`s what I already did. Changed 3 new hard drives, all precleared without any issue, same with power and sata cables. I assume the problem is  software related, the rebuild stops everytime after appr. 3 hours with an unmounted disk 2? Any further idears what the problem could be is very much appreciated, thanks

On the contrary, I am practically certain the problem is hardware related. The eSATA enclosure as part of your array is not really a good solution, and it might work if there are no problems introduced by the eSATA enclosure, but even then it would be much less than ideal since all drives are accessed from a single port on the enclosure, and rebuilds require reading all disks to calculate the data to be written.

FWIW, I use an ICYCube MB561U3S-4SB eSATA enclosure to provide extra storage for a HP Microserver. Since the eSATA connection is shared by four disks i made a point of choosing an enclosure that supports 6 Gb/s eSATA. Normal reads and writes to the disks in that box are the same as those inside the Microserver. As expected, parity checks are a little slower than before I added the box but at an average speed of 120 MB/s (compared with 135 MB/s previously) I'm very pleased with the performance. More information here, including my choice of eSATA card: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=49167.msg472114#msg472114