UNRAID console display sleep

mikeyosm

Are you using two different video cables to your monitor?  If you are, most monitors will automatically select the active cable.  (This is by design so that you don't have to use the awful interface that most monitors have to select the input that has a signal on it.  It might also have a 'pecking order'... )

I think his problem is it IS automatically selecting the active cable, which is unRAID console after the VM sleeps. Confusing to other users. I had that problem with a previous monitor. My solution was to just unplug the unRAID display when I didn't need it, which was most of the time.

Are you using two different video cables to your monitor?  If you are, most monitors will automatically select the active cable.  (This is by design so that you don't have to use the awful interface that most monitors have to select the input that has a signal on it.  It might also have a 'pecking order'... )

I think his problem is it IS automatically selecting the active cable, which is unRAID console after the VM sleeps. Confusing to other users. I had that problem with a previous monitor. My solution was to just unplug the unRAID display when I didn't need it, which was most of the time.

Yes, this is what I am doing currently. However, I noticed an issue with this. When i unplug the display cable to UNRAID and power on a VM with another GPU (nvidia 980ti) in passthrough, the display resolution on this VM drops down to 640x480 and I have to reboot the vm or unplug/reconnect the displayport cable for the 2160 display res to be restored. Very odd. It does not do this as long as I keep the UNRAID display active at all times.

Yes, this is what I am doing currently. However, I noticed an issue with this. When i unplug the display cable to UNRAID and power on a VM with another GPU (nvidia 980ti) in passthrough, the display resolution on this VM drops down to 640x480 and I have to reboot the vm or unplug/reconnect the displayport cable for the 2160 display res to be restored. Very odd. It does not do this as long as I keep the UNRAID display active at all times.

Perhaps you can use something like this?.  We use these dongles all the time at work.  We host a bunch of headless Mac Minis for a large client, and these dongles make the onboard video card think that a monitor with 1920x1080 is connected so they never revert to 640x480 or whatever the default resolution is.

They make a 4K equivalent.  Pair it with a DisplayPort adaptor and you'd be in business, I think.

Perhaps you can use something like this?.  We use these dongles all the time at work.  We host a bunch of headless Mac Minis for a large client, and these dongles make the onboard video card think that a monitor with 1920x1080 is connected so they never revert to 640x480 or whatever the default resolution is.

They make a 4K equivalent.  Pair it with a DisplayPort adaptor and you'd be in business, I think.

thanks for that idea, i'll take a look.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/22/2022 at 11:08 AM, rutherford said:

I found this thread because I plugged in a piKVM and it has a hard time with the screen going to sleep, then waking. Anyone find a solution to the sleep time for monitor?

unless you found another solution.. currently it doesn't work. so tried reboot and slim is over written.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

The OS is in RAM. Any changes you make to OS files must be reapplied at boot. Preferred method is User Scripts plugin.

derp. haha yup. the post i linked didn't say anything about reboots. i got it sorted, edited my go file.

thanks! hope it helps others. it is working for me currently.