OpenELEC/LibreELEC VMs and Bridging/Bonding, no worky!

AngelEyes

Hi Chaps,

I have been pulling my hair out recently trying to get my OpenELEC or LibreELEC VMs to run.

It turns out turning off Network Bonding & Bridging in Settings -> Network Settings fixed the problem and allowed the VMs to boot ok.

(FYI Windows 10 doesn't seem to mind network bonding and bridging being set to on.)

I have 6 network ports on my MB and had been using 2 to try and improve the file transfer speed when moving stuff around within the Array via my Windows 10 VM or laptop.

I have to be honest I don't really understand the difference between bonding and bridging (I think bonding actually makes the difference in speed) but it did seem to help  when one or both were switched on.

Can anyone please shed some light on why OpenELEC and LibreELEC fail on boot when Bonding/Bridging are activated and if there is a workaround/XML tweak?

Some general advice on whether bonding or bridging is actually helpful in speeding up file transfer would be useful as well :)

(My switches do support 802.3ad.)

Thanks so much!

Adam :)

EDIT: Seems ok now, must have been some other change during the reboot.

• 2 months later...

unRAID and a VM on uNRAID communicate via an internal emulated network switch that is 10Gig. Your bonding won't do squat for VM to array performance.

Thanks, I managed to glean that from other posts in the end.

Perhaps I expect too much? I have my win10 on the cache disk along with my Download folder. Right now if I am using Quickpar, or Unraring or copying a large file from the Cache to the array any Bluray playing back from the server via an external player (Zappiti 4k HDR) stutters.

I was hoping to end up with a system I could be working on and still have the kids watch a film at the same time.

Is that a dream?

Thanks.

According to your signature, the cache disk is a WD spinner.

I see you have a mSATA SSD as well.. what is being used for what? SSD is king for high I/O.

Oops yes my signature is wrong the cache is the EVO msata SSD.

How do you increase the cache on the player, sounds like that might help?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk