johnsanc

Best 8TB Parity Drive?

FWIW, if you're looking for a good non-shingled parity drive, the 10TB HGST units are on sale at Newegg today for $299.95 :)

(I just ordered one for my HTPC)

19 minutes ago, garycase said:

Note also that even if you move the drive to the array, it's still possible to fill the cache if you're doing a log of "moving around" that impacts the same disk.    MUCH less likely you'd see a problem than with a parity drive, but still possible.    However, as SSD noted above, it's very rare to see this issue with typical UnRAID usage (even as a parity drive).    I think you'll be just fine if you use a non-shingled drive as parity and relegate your shingled units to data drives.

once it's in the array, I'll just add my movie shares to it i.e. write once,  read many data

I had a pair of Archive drives for parity, then aquired a pair of 7200 rpm NAS drives. Moves the Archive into the array and made the NAS drives parity. No noticable difference to me in my use case other than notibly hotter operstion during intensive task like parity check / build etc.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I have a pair of HGST He10's (HUH721010ALE604) for parity and they are the coolest running drives in my case.  They idle at like 30c and are even cooler than my wd red drives.

My WD black 5tb is the hottest running out of all of them.

Hi!

I recently traveled to the US to shoot a doco and had to pick up some extra storage  as we ended up shooting 4K.

I went to Fry's and they sold me a WD My Book Pro and 2 x 8TB HGST deskstar NAS drives.

Unfortunately the HGST won't be read by the WD system. WD conformed that they won't work but I'm wondering if there is a workaround?

I'm confused that they won't work as HGST is a sub-division of WD. 

Can anyone help come up with a solution?

Exchanging the drives is not going to work as I am now back home in NZ.

Many thanks!

Jon

11 hours ago, JONWILD said:

Hi!

I recently traveled to the US to shoot a doco and had to pick up some extra storage  as we ended up shooting 4K.

I went to Fry's and they sold me a WD My Book Pro and 2 x 8TB HGST deskstar NAS drives.

Unfortunately the HGST won't be read by the WD system. WD conformed that they won't work but I'm wondering if there is a workaround?

I'm confused that they won't work as HGST is a sub-division of WD. 

Can anyone help come up with a solution?

Exchanging the drives is not going to work as I am now back home in NZ.

Many thanks!

Jon

What do you mean won't be read by the "WD system"? Were you trying to remove the drive from the MyBook external and replace with the HGST?

HGST drives should work just fine in an unRaid server.