EVERY TIME I update unRAID, it become unbootable

mizifih

This time, config files (in the thumb drive) can't be copied over so I can restore how it was set up. It's really annoying. The other times it was easier, all I had to do was move the config files to a folder, merge the OS new installation with the old config files, move them over to a thumb drive and make it bootable again. It worked like a charm, not this time. Speaking of working like a charm, the process of updating the OS is the thing that should work like a charm in the first place.

unRAID is really cool when it works, but this small things, that can turn into serious things, are the stuff that makes me leave it alone and live my life with Windows. I really like how unRAID manage the drives, and the pass-through hardware to the VM solution is amazing. I virtualize my HTPC over unRAID. I really dig it. But... I can't have all this trouble just to keep the OS updated, it's frustrating and annoying.

What can I do to prevent that? Maybe it's the thumb drive? Should I verify something else that could prevent this from happening?

You should be updating by using the update plugin option

Go to the Plugins page and click Check for Updates. Afterwards it will tell you a new version of unRAID is available; click the update button and reboot your system, done!

Well, that's how I try to update and the OS gets broken. I have to move files here from there after the OS gets unusable due a failed update.

If it continues to happen try a different flash drive.

I'll check the thumb drive with H2testw, just in case. Maybe it's something the tool can shine a light on this problem. But it's a problem, it's not something I could be doing wrong, right?