[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore - Deprecated

Squid

12 minutes ago, fc0712 said:

Hey 

as far as i understand rclone Google drive backup doesnt work very well due to hard links 

what's your preferred way to backup is it just an external drive plugged in via unassigned devices? 

Personally, I backup to the array.  Nothing within my appdata is so critical that I need offsite / outside of the array backups.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

1 hour ago, fc0712 said:

Hey 

as far as i understand rclone Google drive backup doesnt work very well due to hard links 

what's your preferred way to backup is it just an external drive plugged in via unassigned devices? 

Personally, I backup to the array.  Nothing within my appdata is so critical that I need offsite / outside of the array backups.

You can backup to a UD mounted drive though. It's what I do.

Found the issue.  (Bug has actually been in there since day #1, but with the updated PHP version in 6.4, the bug is now a fatal error whereas before it was simply a warning).  Temporary fix is to disable notifications on the Backup.  Will release an update later tonight to address this (and have libvirt.img backed up)

16 hours ago, Diggewuff said:

Hey, I accidentally deleted my whole cache drive (/appdata /system /domains is gone) and need to restore my VMs. I backed up VM XMLs using this Plugin.

Is there any explanation how to restore my VMs using the backed up XMLs?

I'd just copy and paste it into the 'edit XML' page of the VM.

36 minutes ago, Diggewuff said:

OK, I already thought to do so. Do I got it right that this will start a reinstall of the VM?

I don't know what you mean by reinstall. The XML is just a settings file. If the hard drive (virtual or physical) is still in the place the XML says it is it should be fine.

7988e52ddf13e48061a6e494230e1646.jpg

Switched from backing up VM XML's (and NVRAM) to instead backing up the libvirt.img.  Will make restoration easier of a VM.  As before, restoration of the libvirt.img is a manual process, and is not part of Restore Appdata

System is now compatible with 6.4 when notifications are enabled.  All 6.4 users are advised to reboot after installing this update in order to put the system back into a known state.

On 2017-5-1 at 9:32 PM, Squid said:

When it happens again, try either from the local console (or via Putty / SSH) logging in and entering

diagnostics

and then post the resulting file here.  Also zip up the backup log when it happens, upload it to drop box, and post the link...

Apologies, I couldn't recall what you had said and I submitted a bug report using the 'Feedback' menu option.

It says NOTE: Submission of this bug report will automatically send your system diagnostics to Lime Technology.

So they have been submitted.

Will that file that was sent be saved on my system somewhere so I can share as well?

1 minute ago, local.bin said:

Apologies, I couldn't recall what you had said and I submitted a bug report using the 'Feedback' menu option.

It says NOTE: Submission of this bug report will automatically send your system diagnostics to Lime Technology.

So they have been submitted.

Will that file that was sent be saved on my system somewhere so I can share as well?

For future reference, plugins are not the responsibility of Lime Technology, and plugin authors don't receive bug reports submitted by Feedback.

If 'Feedback' does save your diagnostics they would be on your flash drive. If it's not there you will have to get another to share with the plugin author (Squid).

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

For future reference, plugins are not the responsibility of Lime Technology, and plugin authors don't receive bug reports submitted by Feedback.

If 'Feedback' does save your diagnostics they would be on your flash drive. If it's not there you will have to get another to share with the plugin author (Squid).

Sure, understood, but its not at all clear that its plugin related. It hasn't happened for over a month and backup has been running ok.

Edit: Looks like the diags are not saved to stick when sent via Feedback.

Edited by local.bin

I have scheduled this plugin it to run every week and I have selected the "Put backups into separate dated sub folders?" option.  But when I click apply it still warns me that all files and folders in my destination backup folder will be deleted.  But isn't it using a sub-dated folder from this folder, in which case nothing will be deleted, unless (perhaps) it is the second backup that day.

2 minutes ago, wayner said:

I have scheduled this plugin it to run every week and I have selected the "Put backups into separate dated sub folders?" option.  But when I click apply it still warns me that all files and folders in my destination backup folder will be deleted.  But isn't it using a sub-dated folder from this folder, in which case nothing will be deleted, unless (perhaps) it is the second backup that day.

Just a stock warning...

Just now, alfi33 said:

I'd like the USB Backup Destination to be a separate destination than the Appdata backups, but I'd also like the USB backups to be in separate dated sub folders (like they are when I use same destination as Appdata).  Is this possible?

No it's currently not possible.   To have it as part of dated backups, it has to be part of the appdata.  Not impossible for me to add (and its been sitting on my back burner for awhile).  Realistically, there's not particularly anything on the flash drive that's updated constantly that you'd ever need to worry about having to go back where last week's backup isn't identical to the one made 2 weeks ago.  Its why I never particularly worried about it.