unRAID Server Version 6.2.4 Available

limetech

That 8W may just be the CPU alone, not counting the entire system.

Not sure how that would be measured -- but it's hard to believe the entire system idles at 8w unless it's in S3 sleep.

The 18w my system idles at is the full system powered up -- NOT in sleep.  Hard to believe a CPU with a 51w TDP (the i3-6100) will idle appreciably lower than on with a 13w TDP (the D525).  That 18w includes the motherboard, CPU, memory, disk controller, NIC, and the 6 disks (3TB WD Reds) powered down but still drawing a small amount (0.4w each according to their specs).

More than likely, the measuring device is  not very accurate at very low power readings.  You also forgot the power usage of the PS.  And most of them are very inefficient at low power output levels!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, the PSU is undoubtedly wasting a bit at such a low power draw.  My D525 setup has a 300w Silverstone SFX power supply, which shows 82% efficiency at 20% draw (60w), so it's undoubtedly much less efficient at such a low power draw.

If you assume it drops to perhaps 65% efficiency, that means the system is actually idling at around 12w, and the PSU is wasting about 6w just to provide that power.

I just updated from 6.2.2 directly to 6.2.4.

Update went well, but VM stopped working. When starting, I get the error message "Execution error.internal error: Did not find USB device 5ac:1281".

Full diagnostic attached. Thanks for your help!

Why would you have an Apple iOS device in recovery mode permanently attached to your virtual machine? Clearly you meant to remove that from the configuration after you were done recovering it, right? Maybe this is one more plus for hotplug capability? There's a hotplug plugin, but I don't know if it automatically detaches devices which have been unplugged from the host machine.

That's weird. I had detached the phone over a week before I did the diagnostic and before I restarted the array. It is solved now by updating the VM settings, but it still feels like some form of bug?

I just updated from 6.2.2 directly to 6.2.4.

Update went well, but VM stopped working. When starting, I get the error message "Execution error.internal error: Did not find USB device 5ac:1281".

Full diagnostic attached. Thanks for your help!

Why would you have an Apple iOS device in recovery mode permanently attached to your virtual machine? Clearly you meant to remove that from the configuration after you were done recovering it, right? Maybe this is one more plus for hotplug capability? There's a hotplug plugin, but I don't know if it automatically detaches devices which have been unplugged from the host machine.

That's weird. I had detached the phone over a week before I did the diagnostic and before I restarted the array. It is solved now by updating the VM settings, but it still feels like some form of bug?

You also have to remove the pass through from the template. It's not enough to just unplug it.

That 8W may just be the CPU alone, not counting the entire system.

Not sure how that would be measured -- but it's hard to believe the entire system idles at 8w unless it's in S3 sleep.

The 18w my system idles at is the full system powered up -- NOT in sleep.  Hard to believe a CPU with a 51w TDP (the i3-6100) will idle appreciably lower than on with a 13w TDP (the D525).  That 18w includes the motherboard, CPU, memory, disk controller, NIC, and the 6 disks (3TB WD Reds) powered down but still drawing a small amount (0.4w each according to their specs).

More than likely, the measuring device is  not very accurate at very low power readings.  You also forgot the power usage of the PS.  And most of them are very inefficient at low power output levels!

To be fair, I was quoting the idle draw when the i3-6100 was in the Dell Optiplex it came in, which has a 180W PSU.  With the Asus board and all the other stuff, it was more like 15W.

But, my point was a modern machine with carefully selected components will be much, much quicker than a D525 and use less or similar power.

Even an AM1 Athlon 5350 runs rings round an Atom, and as it's a SOC there's basically no peripheral chips to run, so they can idle sub-20W and even on full load barely break the 40W barrier.

There have been various improvements to the shutdown processes, so it would be useful to hear if there are still shutdown issues, using this latest version, especially from those who have had issues with shutting down in the past.

What information would be useful? Mine seems to hang since I no longer have Powerdown. Still on 6.2.2 while I wait for a parity rebuild and check to finish. Are any logs/diagnostics preserved now on reboot?

First I'd upgrade to 6.2.4.

Then try a shutdown and see if it works okay => if it hangs, it's now supposed to generate a log file that will provide some feedback for LimeTech to review so Tom can continue to improve the shutdown process.

LimeTech's goal has been to eliminate the need for the PowerDown plugin ... and dlandon is no longer supporting versions beyond 6.2

You may want to read this thread:  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51983.90

Just wanted to report back that shutting down my Windows 7 VM prior to executing a shutdown (or reboot) dramatically reduces the time it takes. I'll start doing this as best practice.

There have been various improvements to the shutdown processes, so it would be useful to hear if there are still shutdown issues, using this latest version, especially from those who have had issues with shutting down in the past.

What information would be useful? Mine seems to hang since I no longer have Powerdown. Still on 6.2.2 while I wait for a parity rebuild and check to finish. Are any logs/diagnostics preserved now on reboot?

First I'd upgrade to 6.2.4.

Then try a shutdown and see if it works okay => if it hangs, it's now supposed to generate a log file that will provide some feedback for LimeTech to review so Tom can continue to improve the shutdown process.

LimeTech's goal has been to eliminate the need for the PowerDown plugin ... and dlandon is no longer supporting versions beyond 6.2

You may want to read this thread:  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51983.90

Just wanted to report back that shutting down my Windows 7 VM prior to executing a shutdown (or reboot) dramatically reduces the time it takes. I'll start doing this as best practice.

Thanks for the link.  I should qualify my original post by saying the Powerdown plugin was active on my server during these delayed shutdowns.  I was aware about some issues with this plugin and 6.2 but I wasn't entirely sure if we should keep using it or not?  Based on what I read in the link you provided, should I remove it now in 6.2.4 or should I wait for 6.3 final (no plan to use an rc or beta at this point)?

Not sure why you reposted this, but your question was answered here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=53511.msg514032#msg514032

upgraded my server from 6.1.9 to 6.2.4 via the web gui, and am happy to report no problem so far.

was very happy to finally see the 2nd nic manageable from the gui (instead of having to do some config steps via [/boot/config/go]).

thought the graphical console was the default, was surprised it boots in text mode like before.

did remove my plugins before (nerd pack & unassigned devices) and removed the added lines from the "go" file, to have a plain vanilla (as much as could be) install before the upgrade.  I've put back the nerd pack plugin after the upgrade/reboot.

haven't tried the graphical console yet.  will do this after the currently running parity check -- still running on one parity drive, so haven't noticed a change in speed there.

thanks to the limetech crew for all their work on this.    :-)

cheers.

*** edit:  p.s. after a post-upgrade parity check (roughly same speed as before), put in that 2nd parity disk i was keeping aside for the last year, which caused a 2nd check.  to state the obvious, it cut the speed by half... or should i say, parity check took twice as long.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with the upgrade from 6.1.9. When the system is booted, i can access the shares for about 1 minutes but then, the shares disapear and i can no longer access \\tower but the GUI is still fonctionnal. A reboot doesn't solve the problem.

I reverted back to 6.1.9 and everything work good but i lost my disks configuration. How can i be sure that i set them in the right order?

What do you need to help diagnose the problem? only post my log file?

ok, i've found the right order. I've installed the Unassigned Devices package (https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45807.0) and with the information that it gave me, i've been able to remember in which order to assign them. But now, when i start the array, it says that the disk is unmountable and propose me to format my disks.

How can i get back my array correctly without loosing my files?

What do you need to help diagnose the problem? only post my log file?

Upgrade back to 6.2, wait for the shares to not be accessible anymore, then Tools - Diagnostics and post the file here.

I reverted back to 6.1.9 and everything work good but i lost my disks configuration. How can i be sure that i set them in the right order?

Set all the disks as data disks and start the array.  If one (and only one) comes up as unformatted, then it is the parity drive.  Stop the array and then assign that one as the parity disk.  No way of determining which disk was disk1, disk2, etc unless you wrote it down somewhere.

(Note: Do not hit the "Format" button at any time, and if more than one disk shows up as unformatted, then create a new thread with this problem before doing anything)

The array isn't started.  Hence no shares.  Change setting - disk settings - autostart to be yes  (or hit start on the main tab)

array started or not, i cannot access \\tower from windows. At least, i should be able to see my usb drive.

kk missed that.  Probably a very common problem with win 10.  Can you access \\192.168.1.3

The array isn't started.  Hence no shares.  Change setting - disk settings - autostart to be yes  (or hit start on the main tab)

array started or not, i cannot access \\tower from windows. At least, i should be able to see my usb drive.

kk missed that.  Probably a very common problem with win 10.  Can you access \\192.168.1.3

cannot acces with the direct IP \\192.168.1.3. But the telnet and the GUI is accessible. I tried with my Android phone and my OpenElec without success neither so it seems that it's not only a Windows 10 problem.

Same issue here since 6.2, no update?

Cant access anymore my public share on W10 and OpenElec.

I am running 6.2.4 on my server and I have no problem accessing my shares on 2 libreelec boxes.  No windows 10 on the network to test with so can't comment on that part.  The Libreelec boxes have no problem what so ever.